1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Quick question about a popular guide

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Knucklejoe, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    9 times out of 10 the person that sends a phishing link here lately has been compromised to start with and will only send the same message with the fake URL to everyone online on that friends list and then go offline. The account won't come back online till the real owner regains control from Valve thru support ticket. To do something what this guide suggests is basically getting the items from a victim that already fell for the fake URL and is very wrong.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I see a few things wrong here:
    • Regardless of how you're looking at it, you're knowingly trading with an obvious scammer alt. Per SteamRep's policy, that can earn you a caution mark.
    • If you do receive items, they probably either belonged to the owner of the hijacked account you're talking to (as HorseDick suggested), or they were stolen from someone else who was hijacked. Either way, they're stolen, and you do not want to be in possession of stolen goods - either from a reputation standpoint or in dealing with Steam Support when you end up trade banned for it.
    • Telling someone "I'll do X if you give me Y" is not "asking for free items", it's a trade agreement. I'm not sure if it's enforceable or applicable in this case with all things considered, but breaching a trade agreement will get you marked, even if it's with a scammer.
    I'd also like to point out this is neither practical nor sustainable outside of one or maybe a couple isolated encounters. Most phishers are bots running on newly-created or hijacked accounts, and as such won't respond or acknowledge anything that isn't pre-programmed. If you do chance upon an actual human hijacker, (s)he will pick up on the scheme before long. There aren't that many people phishing, just a handful using a lot of alt accounts, and any given phisher probably won't fall for it more than once. There are probably multiple people trying it, especially if there's a guide telling them to, and the few phishers who actually do read and respond when sending phishing links will catch on pretty quick.

That's how I see it at least. I'll leave it up to an admin to give the final, official response.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  4. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    The guy that you conned out of the hat will not report you because its a hijacked account and he will only have possession of the account for about a week before its given back to the rightful owner. Valve on the other hand will give you a 3-4 week vacation from trading because you traded with a hijacked account. Im sure if Valve catches you doing this on a regular basis you will be trade banned. Thats my 2 cents worth.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I've flagged it, and my text was:

SIVARTZ likes this.
  6. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    I have also flagged this guide and I don't see how people rate this so highly. It promotes stealing items from the rightful owner, as the true phisher throwaways won't have any. This guy is grasping on so many straws to justify this crap.
  7. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    If you say that due my reply, I was talking about steam support there in my "flagging" text. Steam support has nothing to do with SR.

You reported a random account there that commented such. There is no proof that he actually traded it, or a item linked where one would be able to trace it back. It refers to a "hat", that is nothing specific, and most hats are just craft hats and even then, if it was more valuable then it would still not be above a Bill's hat which we see as our "cutoff" line for trading with scammers. I do not think a phisher will give out valuable items that he can sell himself for money.

So no, the report would fail with: evidence and value due to our rules..
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.