1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Receiving xmas gifts from marked people

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by SunlessLime, Dec 24, 2014.

1. SunlessLime

SunlessLime New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41674244
    A friend of mine recently got marked on steamrep for trading with scammers, so if he gives me a xmas gift would that mean id get marked for trading with scammers aswell?
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    This really depends on a lot of circumstances. But if not doing a cash trade the cutoff is at below the worth of a Bills hat in the total of all trades, but includes any unusual, buds and max heads in items.

Simpler put we would tag for:
    - All cash trades, with any value.
    - Item trades, if above the worth of a Bills Hat, including all unusuals, max's and buds. (some Unusuals are less then a Bills)
  3. SunlessLime

SunlessLime New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41674244
    Ok thanks for your reply!
  4. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    what if he gift wraps it and delivers it directly into your inventory? Suppose I'm asleep and a marked scammer gifts me an unusual while I'm offline/away for a present?
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    There are various ways to deal with that. But let me ask this: Do you really want to have a item in your backpack that is SIGNED by a scammer?
    a tasty serving of likes this.
  6. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    I don't see why anyone would want to even have an item that has a scammer as the previous owner to begin with. It's less about the signing and more of what should one do in such a situation (as someone who reports many users for trading with scammers) how should I go about reporting that if I see? Do I treat it no differently? Should I not report it? It's a difficult situation because the giftee had no way to reject to gift to start.
    a tasty serving of likes this.
  7. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    Hey reaper if u got some intel on some unusuals less than a bills hat, hook a "brotha" up. Bills are barely 3 keys now and I'd love any unusual less than that :D. On a semi-serious note, why is bills still the standard? Since bills is worth far less these days than when that was posted, should the threshold be moved up to say a buds where 8 key buds is almost within the realm of possible? (nuts huh)

As for the op, why risk your reputation by affiliating and accepting gifts from a known scammer? Yea, may be you technically get away with it based on the steamrep rules but knowing he potentially is paying for your gift with the profits of his scamming to me is unethical and wouldn't want to trust you with a money trade cuz that to me dirties your hands too. There's a reason "knowingly receiving stolen property" is a crime (at least here in America)
  8. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Try to use a little common sense when it comes to what you are asking here cause there are so many variables to account for. Why don't you just delete all the tagged scammers on your friends list now and not worry about it... before you get an ulcer.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    The Bill's is the "standard, for we wanted the inclusion of those promotional items that are/where the "currency" of the market: Bills, buds, maxes, and unusuals. We didnt set it at a key for keys are too shorlived (well, somebody calculated a estimate of a average of 54 days, but w/e) and didn't want to set it too low. Unfortunately, Bill's have been under pressure for a long time in value now... I can remember they where worth a lot more back in the day.

It may be true that its time to revise that to a fixed # of keys price or dollarprice, but still including bills, buds, maxes & unusuals of lesser value. As matter of fact, I'll start a internal thread to start discussion amongst admins.
  10. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Please don't troll me, kid. I am not worried about receiving gifts from scammers. If I did I would just delete it. I don't care enough about hats to make keeping a gift worth while.
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Reporting back: Discussion amongst admins regarding adjusting the rule is underway. Till its adjusted however, the current rule still stands.
  12. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    That wasn't an intent to troll you, but a helpful suggestion I would say to anyone with the amount of tagged scammers they have on their friends list to avoid future issues down the road.

As for the kid part... you are welcome to assume whatever you wish.
    Wrath likes this.
  13. Wrath

Wrath New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:30129880
    Just a thought, since traders that have scammed and get canned by Steam from trading, they're unable to trade. They've betrayed the trust of users and as a result, lost the privilege to trade.

This goes the same for VAC Bans, except items are stuck till the end of time.

Since there's no way for SR/Community to check every single item that a banned user passes through, there's no way to tell if an item was stolen. So as a result, I believe it's only fair to treat items as suspect. The banned user broke the trust of the trading community, and given the cash value of trades, be it mere pennies or mere thousands, who's to say the item's theirs? (Sure, Item IDs, and what not, but what's the point of taking the risk?)
    Why not just ignore decline the trade offer and move on? I haven't heard of gifts not being able to be rejected, I've ignored a few this year and may continue to do so under my discretion.

This doesn't sound like an SR issue, more like a morale issue. If someone's stupid enough to risk their trading reputation and history by associating with scammers, they'll just wind up on the lengthy list of appeals a few moments later, along with a side of cold shoulder from the trading community. Why even associate with them, when you yourself are already in hot water? (Or have been, lel.)
    Can I...can I like, hug you?
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I sensed something wrong in the Steam Universe, Bromance has been escaped...
    Wrath likes this.
  15. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    You're not very smart, are you? #1: Not every scammer is trade banned. Most aren't and actually get away with their crimes and continue to trade with people normally. If you actually read this whole thread, you'd see that "trading" isn't the issue here. I don't see how this is even remotely relevant

#2: If someone sends you an item in a gift wrap it is automatically added to your inventory. Guess you've never received an item in a gift wrap, from gift-a-pult or from secret saxton.

#3: "associating with scammers" (aka, having scammer friends) is not a bannable offense and having such friends is not considered proof to any trading with scammers activity. I'm surprised that you can write so many words in your previous post and have just about every single one of them be totally unhelpful and useless.
  16. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Really hoping you take Bills out of the promo, or at least put an condition like "Bills(if they're being quickbought for X amount of keys)" That way if the demand for Bills goes up again, you're covered here.
    I really don't know where to make the cut off anymore, it's very annoying to have to check every profile for even chepo's(because of Bills dropping)
  17. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I have received items from both giftapult and secret saxton. Neither gives a choice on accepting it, but neither does the scammer have a choice about who gets it and most scammers are, by their greedy nature, unlikely to give out gifts to the community like that. If they cared, they'd probably be more concerned with repaying victims to clear their name. In such a case, they would likely have no idea it came from a scammer, and a screenshot of trade history would be enough to clear their name.

Not sure how that works with gift wrap, but the individual circumstances would be weighed on a by-case basis. I can't give you a blanket answer for that case, because then that blanket statement would get abused by scammers looking to exploit the system one way or another.
    No. We don't enforce prices at SteamRep, and as such we will not define "quickbuy" or attempt to price any items.
    Wrath and ForteSP like this.
  18. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Thank you for the first reasonable answer on this thread. Based on your post and my conversation with another staff member, I will still report these as I see them. non-guilt can be proved in the thread or by the accused.