1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561197961819137 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Metric, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:98050175
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561197961819137

Victim profile: 76561198302774496

What happened? Description:
    I added a person on backpack.tf to discuss a trade and left a comment on their profile stating my intentions. After the person I intended to add accepted my request, we discussed the trade. Soon afterwards, the accused impersonator adds me to discuss the trade. I was confused because I already discussed it with the correct user. I confirmed with the victim user that this did NOT belong to them and is indeed an impersonator. Their inventory is private and made the excuse that this was supposed to be their "discussion account" and that the user I added was just their "trading account".

This account is most likely managed by an automated process as it reads the comment section of their victims and uses their victims' profile information to prey on others. At the time of writing, the accused has already switched profile information.​

Provide Evidence:

[12:50 AM]
    Metric:
    is this you
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/713155516631144/

[12:51 AM]
    A Y S>65+ Unusual TRADEIT.GG:
    no

Metric:
    ok well
    there's an impersonator lol

yes

Metric:
    yeah
    go beat him up lol
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....154/B0FD9865674C67DC7F8DC63B243A270B22DD9E08/

they're probably scanning your profile
    because they just added me soon after you accepted

[12:53 AM]
    yes he most likely see your comment

Metric:
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....495/41473B69D4CAB8E7C4FF7E62DAA86CA8D0FE6CE6/

I will add in the comment section

Metric:
    yeah

warn others

Metric:
    their inventory is private too

[12:54 AM]
    most of them private their bp

Attached Files:

2. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:
  3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Would appear you reported the wrong user - I see nothing related the to accused in those screenshots.
    Can you explain that quickly please what is happening involving the accused?
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    24hours to follow up since as I said it would appear you reported the wrong user.
  5. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:
    I made no mistake in accusing the said user of impersonation. The accused is calling themselves a "discussion" account in an attempt to impersonate legitimate users to commit fraudulent trades.

As previously mentioned, I suspect this user to be impersonating countless legitimate users by constantly observing the steam profiles of their victims, either by manual or automated (bots) means. The accused user is describing themselves as the discussion account when the legitimate user specifically warned on their profile info box that they do not have discussion accounts.

accused_profile.png shows the accused user account impersonating the victim user. The steam profile of the accused user is different now because they are still in the act of impersonating others. This could be an ongoing scam method that you and the community should be aware of: there are no such things as "discussion accounts" of the legitimate users.
  6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Wait you are not the victim?
  8. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2020
  9. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:
    I don't know what I can say other than what I've already said.

My report information should make it clear to you that the target victim is the one being impersonated. My involvement comes from the fact that the impersonator tried scam me.
  10. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Ok so nothing on the users profile links back to any other account - in fact it links back to their own.
    Had it not been for the URL for the trade offer they sent you I wouldn't have been able to review this since you still have images embedded enabled in steam chat - I suggest you turn that off.
    Can you copy/paste me the trade offer URL the user gave you here please.
  11. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:
    Here's some screenshots showing that the accused is still impersonating others at this very moment.

Attached Files:

12. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I didn't ask you for more screenshots - read what I said pls
  13. Metric

Metric New User

Steam:
    Here I've typed out the link shown in that screenshot I posted with the chat logs.
    https://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new?partner=342508768&token=vY2jPUSu
  14. Ying | Non-sense

Ying | Non-sense New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:171254384
    Okay, I should maybe add on this issue. So this bot impersonated me before as Metric, as shown in the screenshot above (https://postimg.cc/ygWfqHwq). Both of us (Metric and I) have not got scammed by the bot above, but he is impersonating people as their discussion account once someone leaves a comment on traders' profile. The bot sent him the trade offer of me (https://steamcommunity.com/tradeoffer/new?partner=342508768&token=vY2jPUSu), which is weird.

Moreover, I believe I am not the only person the bot impersonate. (https://imgur.com/a/vwhTrw6) and (https://backpack.tf/trust/76561197961819137), which shows that this user is probably a bot that would impersonate others known traders once it detects a comment on the trader's profile. As for it doesn't have the name in the history in Steam, I think it is because it wiped its name history, which is possible to do.
  15. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Thanks will review again soon.... didn't need a reply from any other users at this time.
    No need to post again.
  16. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Your report was accepted and the accused was banned. Feel free to report a violation via their Steam profile.

In order to do that, you have to:
    1. Visit the accuseds profile
    2. Click MORE drop-down located at the top right of the page
    3. Choose REPORT VIOLATION
    4. Select the violation, then describe it and provide the evidence
    5. Click SUBMIT REPORT

Click here to view an animated gif that shows how to report a violation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.