1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Archived Report: 76561198020204564 - ([Other] Other game items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Archi, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archi

Archi ArchiSteamFarm developer Notable Affiliate - Identity Verified

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23348995
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud
    Virtual item type involved: [Other] Other game items

Accused profile: 76561198020204564

Victim profile: 76561198006963719

What happened? Description:
    Hey, that guy has tried a classic "accidental report" scam for account stealing. There is not much more to say since I'm more than familiar with what he was about to do next, so I've ended it up with a sarcasm, after which he quickly removed me from his friend list.​

Provide Evidence:
    I'm attaching a full screenshot of the conversation linking to the user's profile, but this is my first time submitting actual report so please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks.​

[20:11]
    Neal08Ni/NealLIVE:
    Sorry to disturb you can we talk for just a minute please?

[20:12]
    Archi:
    sure, what it's about?

[20:15]
    Neal08Ni/NealLIVE:
    I accidentally reported you for doing illegal purchased instead of someone else the admin said your account will be suspended

[20:16]
    Archi:
    oh come on do you really think I'm too stupid to know this scam?
    you could at least think of something new than telling me to add steam admin next
    disappointed

Attached Files:

• ss1.png
      ss1.png
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
  2. Archi

Steam:
    I've just realized that the popup hides part of the conversation, so I'm uploading one more screenie. Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    @Archi how long have you known this user?
  4. Archi

Steam:
    @Horse I have no idea, people send me invites due to my "popularity" all the time and in general I accept them as long as they leave me a comment. I have no clue who that user is specifically or how he happened to be on my friend list, but if I had to guess he was along many of those that I've accepted at some point in the past. Sorry that I can't be more specific.
  5. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Rough est... what I'm getting at is if someone just added you and did this it is much different than someone you've had on your friends list a while to all of a sudden do this.
    This is a VERY common thing with hijacked accounts - your likely reporting an innocent users account they had no control over.
    Did you report the account to Valve yet? I'll likely watch the report a few days to see if Valve reacts to the account.
  6. Archi

Steam:
    Yes, of course I've reported his account to Valve as well.

I don't recall that I've added this user lately if this is what you're getting at, so he could've been for my friend list for a long time, but I can't say for how long and I don't want to make a blind call, as that's far worse than stating the truth that I just don't know at all. Yes, he could've been hijacked, but I thought that the whole point of marking the user is to let other people know to watch out, and not a form of punishment. I don't see why he couldn't appeal afterwards if he's truly innocent. I don't think that decision about marking two users for the same scam attempt should be judged by the fact of "how likely it is that the guy is hijacked", as that would mean that people with older, more expensive accounts can avoid being marked entirely on the premise that they're "likely hijacked". If anything, I'm making this report exactly for that reason - to warn others, not myself or as a form of some inner need to ban this user on SR.

Of course you're making the judgment here, I can only provide details.
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    If the users account is hijacked I will not mark it - the true owner would have to go thru a long period of an appeals process having to provide steam support ticket information and everything. If Valve reacts to the accounts as in Community bans them I will not mark them as that would show that Valve considers them hijacked and completely locked down. I've done prob a thousand of these types of reports here in the last year alone so my normal procedure is to wait a while and see what the account does prior to accepting/archiving. I could pick out several nearly identical situations/reports like this one and every single one is from a hijacked account.

Also just to look at the profile to the user your reporting- hardly seems like one from someone that would do this sorta thing not to mention that from an account you've known for a while and out of the blue.

Keep in mind the report here exists...if anyone takes the time to check the user out they will see it and can judge for themselves like all the others.

I'll review the report soon. Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Archi likes this.
  8. Archi

Steam:
    You're right, the unconfirmed report alone serves my purpose, full mark isn't needed, especially if Valve takes action. Thank you for explaining this to me.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    @Archi You may wish to add the user back and/or comment on their profile about this situation as they currently have posted that they were hijacked and recovered the account. If that is the case have them post here to this report so I can verify a few things and you can help this possible innocent user avoid additional hardship as I explained previously.
  10. Archi

Steam:
    I've tried to do that but he has blocked me (likely the hijacker doing), perhaps you'd have more luck letting him know.
  11. nealochoa

nealochoa New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:29969418
    This is Neal08Ni, the victim of my hijacked account. I got it recovered yesterday afternoon knowing that the hijackers did so much to my other friends. I had gotten a lot of messages from my friends about this in other social media and Discord.
  12. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    @nealochoa Please provide full screenshots of your steam support ticket.
  13. nealochoa

nealochoa New User

Steam:
    This is the screenshot of my support ticket.

Attached Files:

14. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Full screen please - everything you see on your monitor...don't crop the image in anyway.
  15. nealochoa

nealochoa New User

Steam:
    This is the full version.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
  16. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Thanks - I'm archiving report as it would appear that I was correct in the accused being hijacked.
    Very typical and nearly every single one of these is in fact this situation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.