1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561198420472786 - ([Steam] Steam Games)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by morphz, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41670027
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Money] PayPal scam or scam attempt
    Virtual item type involved: [Steam] Steam Games

Accused profile: 76561198420472786

Victim profile: 76561198043605783

What happened? Description:
    I'm reporting an attempted PayPal scam using fraudulent/phishing emails.

This user added me on Steam, and requested to buy a copy of the game Dirt Rally. He linked a group forum post from the Original Traders Group on Steam as the source where he found me, but also seemed to have checked my profile on SteamTrades.com when he mentioned that I have 200 rep.

He said he wanted to buy Dirt Rally and agreed to pay $12 through PayPal for it. I asked him to go first, which he agreed to. He then said he sent $12 through PayPal, but I didn't receive it on the PayPal website. He then suggested to check my email. I checked my email and saw that I had received a "Money received" email receipt from an email address called [email protected], which is not an official PayPal email account. Notification emails would've been sent by [email protected], so an email sent from another address is a fraudulent or phishing email. I caught this discrepancy and asked him about it. He then admitted that he was trying to scam me. We did not complete the trade.​

Provide Evidence:
    I've uploaded the screenshots with personal information removed.​

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    @morphz Need both of those screenshots again unedited.
  3. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    I only edited out my email address in the chat log, which is personal information that you don't need in order to make a judgement, and that I won't show here in public. For the other screenshot I don't believe the details I edited out are relevant to the report. I highlighted the part that stood out to me. The only information that is relevant is:

1) The scammer sent a fake email that looked like an official PayPal email in order to fake a payment and have me give him a game without proper payment. 2) He clearly agreed or pretended to agree to a transaction, and then carried out the fraudulent act. 3) He admitted to doing so when I called him out on it.

For these reports, you have to accept that the screenshots are valid anyways in order to make a judgement. If you can't accept a report based on some arbitrary measure on whether or not an image is edited regardless of the intent and facts of the reporting user and reported user, then I don't think this system can be effective at documenting fraudulent activity.
  4. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    I've provided the original screenshot showing the fake paypal email. I won't be posting the unedited version of my chat log screenshot, since the only thing I removed was my email address, which you don't need to know in order to make a judgement.
  5. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    Here is a follow up screenshot of the chat.

Attached Files:

6. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
  7. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    The email screenshot is uncropped and full screen. I used F11 since the browser header doesn't show any relevant information. The chat is also full screen and the message above the first is just the "Never tell your password to anyone." message. I uploaded it again.

Attached Files:

8. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    You can tell that it's uncropped by looking at the scroll bar to the right.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    The email address is edited out - can't accept it - I need that screenshot UNEDITED.... I'm not sure how else to explain this to you.
  10. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    I'm not sure how exactly that would change anything? Why do you need to know my email address to decide whether or not the scammer tried to commit fraud?

I'm not showing my email address either way. That is unnecessary information that I would like to keep to myself. It's the only thing that's edited. If you can't accept it because of an arbitrary rule then I don' know what to say other than that this is an incompetent and ineffective system.

I already presented the facts and explained what happened, and the relevant judges can definitely make a rational decision based on the information I provided.

I showed that this user talked to me in an attempt to commit a PayPal fake email fraud, and that I recognized it and reported it here. What other information would you need? You don't need any other information to make a judgement.
  11. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Edited screenshots = Unacceptable screenshots.
    Plain and simple.
    24hours to provide.
  12. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    Forget it, here is the original.

Attached Files:

13. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Thanks - now I need a full screen of the email which you received showing the return address..unedited/full screen.
  14. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    Uploaded

Attached Files:

15. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
  16. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    24hours to follow up
  17. morphz

morphz New User

Steam:
    Done, I don't have any other screenshots for the chat since the scammer blocked me.

Attached Files:

18. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Your report was accepted and the accused was banned. Feel free to report a violation via their Steam profile.

In order to do that, you have to:
    1. Visit the accuseds profile
    2. Click MORE drop-down located at the top right of the page
    3. Choose REPORT VIOLATION
    4. Select the violation, then describe it and provide the evidence
    5. Click SUBMIT REPORT

Click here to view an animated gif that shows how to report a violation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.