1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Archived Report: 76561198447010984 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by HappyGumDisease, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HappyGumDisease

HappyGumDisease New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:178261927
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561198447010984

Victim profile: 76561198316789582

What happened? Description:
    I feel absolutely terrible. Not that I got scammed, but by how far this guy managed to get me in to his attempt. This attempt was so obvious and now I feel like a huge idiot. If I had just checked ONE source of reputation I would've gotten it instantly. I will never make that mistake again.

This user is impersonating the well-known (yet not well-known to me a few hours ago) trader Jarool (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021055079).

When this user added me the profile picture and name did seem familiar yet I am not very clever and thought not much of it. I accepted the request and asked how I could help like always. You can see what happens in the chat log. At the time I was playing with friends so once I had finished he told me to add my discord.

This was the next red flag that I ignorantly dismissed. His discord had nothing to do with his steam. The scammer made up for the sneakiness elsewhere in his way to hide evidence. He had the conversation in the call and now that it's over I have no way to prove anything that happened in the conversation. Oh well, I'll just say what happened and scrape up what evidence I have.

In the call he started off by showing me the real Jarool's inventory and asking which items I would like. He recommended the australium force a nature nicknamed 'killing 101' and that was the next red flag. He called it a shotgun which did make me wonder 'How do you not know an item's name which you own?' yet I'm not sure what was going on in my brain and yet again I dismissed it. I asked if there were any parts on it and he said no, to which now I know there were and I should've checked at the time. I missed so many signs and now I feel so idiotic.

We were screen sharing and he told me that he would sell it to me for 6 keys, but first he needed me to 'make sure they have a stable price'. He told me that I should trade it to marketplace.tf and click on the item to bring him to the sales graph. He said that I should first try it on an item of less value and now I know that this was just to let me feel safer trading to marketplace.

I am quite experienced at trading with marketplace.tf and I wondered why he couldn't tell because I already had 197 of my 200 space filled up. He told me to put my hornblower into my storage space and I did. He then told me to click on the hornblower and he looked at the stats on the sales graph. Then I withdrew the item and it went back into my inventory.

He then told me to do the same with my keys. Yet another red flag pinged up when I told him that he could just look up the item on marketplace.tf and see the stats on there but he said 'but I need to see yours!' So he told me to deposit my six keys but I only had 3 spaces of storage left so he told me that three keys were fine. I assumed it was like a random check but I was still clueless.

Once I had finished depositing I confirmed on my phone so I thought I was done there but apparently I hadn't done yet. He said 'Now go to your trade offers,' as he could still see my screen but I told him that I had already confirmed it and instead went to the other trade from marketplace.tf to withdraw my hornblower. He then got irritated and told me to quickly accept the trade from marketplace.tf.

Suddenly, a shred of awareness dawned on me. Wait a second, marketplace.tf bots don't send trade offers to you once you have deposited...What's going on? As soon as I realised I left the call and he got mad at me on discord.

I checked the bot that sent the trade to me and sure enough, the profile was private. I was so glad I dodged a bullet there but still devastated a scammer managed to get that far in to my defenses I thought were so strong. It must've been an off day for me.​

Provide Evidence:
    I will include screenshots of the chats, the bot's offer, his profile and the bot's profile. I hope that is sufficient even though I can't recover the discord call.

If you're wondering, I am not really 7 years old, I just said that because I didn't want to discord call a stranger. I hope you can understand.

Warning: discordchatlog3 contains unPG clean language. Not safe for christian servers.

I just noticed that the bot has now unprivated their account which further backs up my case. The scammer probably realised that people can look at the account and has now unprivated the account. The bot is not friends with Geel, which all real scrap.tf and marketplace.tf bots are.

The bot's details:
    | steamname: Marketplace.Tf Bot 56
    | steam3ID: [U:1:885880822]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:0:442940411
    | steamID64: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198846146550
    | customURL: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Itemdatabase023
    | steamrep: https://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198846146550

HappyGumDisease:
    Hey there
    How can I help?
    Jarool:
    what's up
    HappyGumDisease:
    not much
    just playing with a few friends
    Jarool:
    oh did i disturb you ?
    HappyGumDisease:
    Nah don't worry lol it's fine
    Jarool:
    Oh cool
    Well are you trading your keys
    HappyGumDisease:
    Not really
    Wait how did you find me?
    I could buy stuff if you have a nice offer
    Jarool:
    random add bro
    HappyGumDisease:
    huh ok
    but off where?
    Jarool:
    TF2 discussion maybe
    Well what items are you looking for your keys ?
    strange ?
    unusual ?
    HappyGumDisease:
    Were you selling any games?
    Jarool:
    I have no games :(
    i have olny unusual's bro
    HappyGumDisease:
    How about stranges?
    Jarool:
    yeah i have stranges too
    do you have discord?
    iMTheRealone#6410
    add me there so that we can talk clearly and so that i can share my screen so that you can see my all stuffs too okay?
    so that you can choose
    Jarool:
    are you there bro ?
    Jarool:
    hello
    are you there?
    Jarool:
    hello
    are you there?
    HappyGumDisease:
    Sorry playing with friends
    Jarool:
    Are you done?
    HappyGumDisease:
    Not yet
    Jarool:
    do you have discord right ?
    iMTheRealone#6410
    add me there :)
    HappyGumDisease:
    We're done
    I sent a friend request
    Jarool:
    oh okay :)
    Hang on cause im talking to my friend right now
    HappyGumDisease:
    Sure thing

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Sorry we are unable to confirm anything thru discord - only steam chat. What you provided doesn't show this user in anyway trying to scam with impersonation to defraud.
    Nothing links the bot to this account either.
    Archiving due to lack of evidence.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.