1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Report a scam central

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Maddux, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20658158
    So there has been a lot of talk about the large volume of reports steam rep gets, while users can make reports to other communities as well and end up with the same outcome, but possibly at a quicker pace. What if there was a website, or just using the steam rep report a scam section below, where every single report goes and each community admin can come here to handle reports. Instead of having the limited steam rep staff come, have a much larger group come in and work through them. I have no idea how the tagging process goes if a different community other than Steam Rep tags them, but having every report go in one place with a large volume of people working through them, it may be able to lessen the report load on staff from all communities. It could also give other community admins a chance to assist each other. So if lets say JAG has information about a player who was reported as a scammer, and TF2-T has different info, it can all be brought together in one place where it can be discussed. Instead of having JAG go talk to TF2-T or having TF2-T go talk to jag staff and run the risk of loosing some info along the way. And then with the huge amount of just usual users that assist SR, they can now assist all communities with their reports. I feel this may be a win win situation for all. Love to hear some feed back, or to hear if something along these lines are already in the works. Hope to hear from you soon
  2. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Are you suggesting a section on the SR forums that Associate Communities will manage?
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    I wouldn't mind other community admins helping with gathering the information but I don't want some non-expirenced admin making the decision on marking someone.
  4. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    Somewhat. I may not have been to clear in my post, thats my fault. What i mean is sort of like a "hub" where every single report goes, and all community staff can come and work out of that area, rather than at their own website. But not only associate communities will manage, like SR staff can manage along with all associate community staff.
  5. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    Well it would only be admins of SR or SR affiliated community with power to mark somebody.
  6. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

SR Associates can have tags placed for their own respective communities.

SR Affiliates can report in a private area, but they aren't listed as those community's marks.
  7. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    Ah alright. What I mean is general reports to be processed in one place. So all outpost reports, tf2-t reports, steam rep reports, tf2r reports, all go to one forum. SR gets such a large volume of reports, having every single report in one place lets lot of different things happen. A lot more staff working on reports rather than the few steam rep staff that work on them. 99% of scamming related reports go through steam rep, having that extra few reports going through steam rep for instances brings in a lot of other community staff getting involved in helping out. Im just trying to think of ways to get reports through the system faster, and having other affiliate communities that have the ability to tag helping with reports takes a huge load off the sr staff. I may not be explaining my self to well, im going to write up a clearer statment tommorw morning. Its my mistake if im not being clear. Sorry about that
  8. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

While I don't agree, having links to the Associates and Affiliates may make it easy on SR, both staff and server load wise.
  9. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    The thing that needs to be understood, is that SR Affiliate and Associate members have the ability to originate reports in their own ways which SR approves or not as the case may be.

It is not possible to "farm out" SR reports piecemeal, and in any case even if such a thing was possible, it would not dramatically reduce SR workload because you need to understand that SR must oversee and audit investigations that community members compile for SR approval.

Certainly it would be great if more people would submit reports directly the communities they relate to, this would relieve some of the stress poor SR staff face. No matter how you look at it, it still means work. If tons of people reported MCT matters on MCT for example, SR would probably have to delete further Admins to action the increased volume :)

Whichever way you look at it, ultimately reports take time to handle properly and SR has high standards for itself and community members, so you cannot magically churn out competent people able to action reports and of course the reports never stop coming in :)

I am sure Mattie and everyone are doing the best they can to address backlogs and figure how best to improve SR, but just like Rome it won't happen in a day :)
  10. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    As an FYI, all of our Associate & Affiliate communities work very closely with not only ourselves but with one another. We also have forums on here just for them where they can do that.

We also have some community admins who already do that! =) Hitman Sparky and Clive, for example, regularly jump in on reports and help our moderation team with them. Hitman Sparky is from KritzKast & Clive is from The Brothers Googly- two of our fantastic Affiliate communities. Community admins are ALWAYS welcome to help with scam reports as far as I'm concerned! =)
    Clive, Melkor and Hitman Sparky like this.
  11. Maddux

Maddux New User

Steam:
    Ah, thank you for clearing some of this up guys. Wasint aware that private reports were made from associate/affiliate communities as well. So there is a lot of work to do even that some of us dont see. I will be hopefully clearing up some time to lend a hand, i'm just nervous of making a mistake and pro-longing the process. I'll speak to hitman sparky i suppose and get some pointers. Thank you for clearing this up though!
  12. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:
    Yes, all the Affiliates and Associates can put in private reports, the only issue being we can't just go through topics and mark them.
  13. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

• SR Reports: fully managed and maintained by SR staff
    • CA Reports: Fully managed and maintained by that CA community on their site, where SR does look into a report once in a while (when interest was peeked).
    • Comm. Affiliate reports: Reports are maintained on the Comm. Affiliate site, where SR staff checks out most reports from them. But as those often are already completed by their admins, it still needs less work then reports on SR.
    SR doesn't keep scanning the Communities sites, when they think a report is ready, they make a thread / post here in their section with the offending account details and all relevant links and A SR admin will review.
    We have set it up so that CA's can help out Affiliate communities if needed.