1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561198199003539 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by Mr. Muffin, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Muffin

Mr. Muffin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:196519236
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Other] Any other fraudulent behavior
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561198199003539

Victim profile: 76561198353304201

What happened? Description:
    I’m not sure if I’m using this right, because it wasn’t a successful scam attempt, but here goes.
    A little past 2am I got an random add. I accepted, curious and expecting a trader, because usually only either traders or scammers randomly add you. I asked what I could do for him, and he asked if I had anything for trading. I stated I had some lowcrafts, and he was confused as to what a lowcraft was. I explained how the lowcrafts work, and why they’re worth a lot, and he seemed satisfied with my explanation.
    He then offered 4 keys for my Scahdenfruede, Surgeon’s Squeezebox, and Freedom Wrapped Panic Attack. After a quick price-check on no.tf, I was more than willing to accept the overpay he had offered, and let him know so. I agreed to his price, and se seemed excited, and offered to send the trade offer.
    He paused suddenly, and asked how & where I’d gotten the items in question. I told him I’d traded for the taunts, and used a skin from the Mercenary Park contracts for the Panic Attack. He then explained his sudden curiosity by saying he wanted to make sure they were safe items to trade with. He said he’d already been scammed that way, and didn’t want to have it happen again, which I understood. I’d had my own experience with scammers, and the fear of potential tricks is very real. He really started to press the issue of the items safety however, to a suspicious amount. This in turn made me more cautious, as he continued to ask for assurance that the items were safe.
    I told him that I was still relatively new to trading, and wasn’t sure if there wasasiteor something official for checking items. He then proceeded to offer 10 keys if I could prove they were safe items. This was over 6 keys overpay for a few taunts and a skinned weapon, so it really made me suspicious. I told him that as far as I knew they were real and safe items.
    He then asked if I would be willing to use an item-checking service of sorts to make sure they were safe items. He even offered to cover the fees requisite for this service. I explained that I wasn’t comfortable with the idea of trading through other sites besides the standards like Marketplace.tf and Backpack.tf. He insisted it was just to check the items, and he would pay if there was any problems. I proceeded to explain why it wasn’t a smart move for either of us as neither person can guarantee the other’s honesty with a third party involved. He continued to drive home that he would cover any issues.
    When I mentioned that we were effectively repeating ourselves, he said, and I quote, “Ok. Cancel.” It shocked me, and I pointed out he’d said it would be okay if we didn’t use the item-checking service. He claimed he hadn’t said that. I simply replied, “Dude, it’s in the chat log. I just copied and pasted that.”again he said he wanted to cancel his offer. I wished him luck, and he removed me immediately.
    Then I come over here to SteamRep and find he’s banned, many of his friends are banned (some of his friends have over half of their friends banned as well), and he has an alternate account with the exact same name that is currently privated.
    I am accusing this user of attempted scamming by way of using either a third-party site he controls, or an alternate account to be the ‘middleman,’ which would allow him to take the items to ‘check’ them, and thereby scam people out of their items.​

Provide Evidence:
    All my evidence is in the screenshots below. Please note that this was not a successful scam, but was still a scam attempt nonetheless and ought to be noted.​

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    @Mr. Muffin
    Thanks - Do keep in mind that this user is already banned/tagged..there isn't any more we can do to this user. Should you come across a user like this again(check users out BEFORE you accept friend request) it is best to just report them to Valve, delete and move on.
    I'll add this last note to the user but keep this in mind in the future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.