1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Accepted Report: 76561198290399872 - ([TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items)

Discussion in 'Archived Reports' started by ParkMyCar, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParkMyCar

ParkMyCar New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:69359857
    Scam Report

Report Type: [Rep Fraud] Impersonation with intent to defraud
    Virtual item type involved: [TF2] Team Fortress 2 Items

Accused profile: 76561198290399872

Victim profile: 76561198098985443

What happened? Description:
    Earlier this afternoon I recieved a friend request from someone. Assuming they wanted to buy my unusual, I decided to add them. They were interested in buying the item, but they said they wanted to check if it's marketable on the trading site called BitSkins as they wanted to resell it afterwards.

While they tried to explain to me how the site worked in the minimized chat, I did a bit of my own research just to check if the site is legit. While they were AFK for a bit (or attempting to scam someone else) I did a test by depositing one of my items onto the site and successfully getting said item back into my inventory again. This test helped me identify the legit trading bots and what to keep an eye on to show it was really them, such as join date and the BitSkins bot group. After they returned, I managed to get an understanding of the site and bots that I was dealing with. This is where the scam attempt begins.

They tell me to click a button that will list the item. What it's supposed to do is you add multiple items to a list, click another button to confirm and a window pops up saying an offer had been sent and to make sure it's the exact same bot they're describing on the site. What this person did was they told me to click add to list, but not to confirm it and a bot will send an offer automatically to check if it's marketable. They wanted me to avoid the legit bot and fall for their fake one. In the screenshots below i've compared a real bot's profile and offer with the fake one, thus making this an impersonation / fake bot scam.

I set the accused as the fake bot due to the person who was talking to me already being marked as banned and reported on many occasions. This is who I was talking to in chat:

| steamname: TheWiz
    | steam3ID: [U:1:205649245]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:102824622
    | steamID64: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198165914973
    | customURL: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheW1z13
    | steamrep: https://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198165914973

Provide Evidence:
    Screenshots of entire conversation, both accused profiles, a legit bot and the comparison between a good and bad trade.​

Attached Files:

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    @ParkMyCar You reported the wrong user - you always report the account you were FIRST involved with not another being used.
    The account you should have reported is also banned/tagged multiple times and not a thing more we can do to them.
    You must check users out better to see if they are showing something like that, if tagged/banned its best to ignore/delete them and move on.
    Issue is here with this report - regardless of what a users name is all your showing is a trade offer - no context what so ever between you and the accused account.
    Yes the account is using that name however impersonation alone is not a reportable offense.
    What else do you have to add here?
  3. ParkMyCar

ParkMyCar New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:69359857
    I don't give a damn about that guy, but they're still out there trying to squeeze items and money out of people. The fake bot should be tagged as banned incase it gets handed to another scammer. What if I didn't do my research beforehand and thought that was what the bots did? Judging by the fake bot's inventory they've probably succeeded in past fraudulent acts. Also finding it hard to see how there's no context too when BitSkins is clearly brought up in the discussion. Close this report down if you want to, I couldn't really care less now. I wasted like 2 hours of their time and in the end I still have my unusual.

Attached Files:

4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Thing is...this is a throw away account plain and simple..be replaced in hours if that is the case.
    You wasted your time to waste your time I'm afraid..which is why its best to IGNORE a tagged user.... if you see they are tagged don't mess around just delete/ignore and move on.
    You really are not getting ahead of anyone.
    I've looked at the list of their bots and will go ahead and tag this once but please ignore users that are tagged from now on...as I said they will likely replace this account in hours but our tag also doesn't stop them from getting items.
    So report them to Valve.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.