1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Revoked Gifts Policy

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Aitchy, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Aitchy

Aitchy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37429141
    Can this not be implemented with requesting specific information from the accused? Especially if there was tradable steam items involved that the victim lost.

Might take a few extra minutes of an admins time, maybe appling a temp tag to the accused would work and requesting info from the accused in the report thread?

I obviously won't go into the details or tell you how steamrep should be run but I've just seen someone who was reported here yesterday for selling revoked gifts that today has been adding people on reddit and showing screenshots of a steam wallet balance to people he is trying to scam that are clearly not his account but the brand new steam account with dodgy steam wallet funds that was also mentioned in this report yesterday.

What's wrong with a temporary tag and accused asked to provide certain evidence to dispute it.

Something along the lines of a caution tag "Caution steamrep admins have requested information from the accused" or something. Then if they don't respond don't remove it.

Revoked gift scams seemed to fizzle out for a while when the new steam policies were implemented but there is still scammers doing this, it's a horrible scam as people think they are safe because the scammer freely sends the gifts first, in the case I seen here from yesterday the accused never even fully agreed on a trade, he just sent the gift and took what he could get from the victim afterwards.
  2. Aitchy

Aitchy New User

Steam:
    Digging deeper takes some extra work but having people commit fraud on steam like this is something I would expect steamrep to deal with since valve will only likely ban the original purchase account. Anyone innocent or who bought a gift to resell not knowing it would be revoked would cooperate with you to clear the matter up and usually proviude you with supporting evidence. Anyone actually guilty would either ignore your request or provide sketchy evidence.

New temp tag, request client screenshots of inventory history, gift history and steam account purchase history, if these don't show enough evidence fo guilt remove the temp tag.

I fully understand the need of the cd keys policy, but this one could be addressed, could it not?
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    The problem with investigating revoked gifts is it's impossible to determine (much less prove) the seller was knowingly complicit with a carder. With the current infrastructure for game trading, there is no way for anyone to see who bought a given Steam gift. Game sellers often buy and then resell gifts, and while carded games are usually sold well below market price, there is a plausible chance your seller bought it ridiculously cheap without knowing what to look for, or bought from someone else who made this mistake, before trading with you. This would prevent you from ever picking up on this warning sign. You may have gotten a bad gift from an innocent trader who himself got scammed, and had no idea the game was about to disappear in a credit card dispute; and there's no way for us to prove or disprove your seller was in on the scam. And unfortunately for them, because the name/profile of the account which bought the game is hidden until the point when the game is revoked from your library, there may have been no way your seller had of knowing the game was carded. This doesn't mean there's no room for us to discuss your points with partner communities, but as of yet we haven't been able to arrive at a clear mutual understanding of how to provably establish intent to scam, sufficiently enough to effectively destroy a seller's reputation.

Gifting comes with all of the above risks, but the added risk that the game is still in a temporary during which it's statistically more likely to be revoked. That's why Valve made it untradeable in the first place. As such, I'd recommend against trading for them under pretty much any circumstances. Especially if they're eager to "go first"; if they're not afraid to lose it, there's a good chance it's because they're not losing anything to begin with. While sketchy, we have an additional problem investigating these, in that a gifted game (unlike traded one) will only appear in the sender's gift history, not the recipient's. If evidence from the reporter is called into question as fake, there would be nothing for us to have the appellant verify with screenshots, because there would be no record or paper trail showing whether they received the game or where it went.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Friend Members, SteamRep Partner Members).**
    Roudydogg1, schmed and Sniper Pro like this.
  4. Zₒₒfᵢₑ

Zₒₒfᵢₑ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:30289911
    The sender isn't banned unless the funds are revoked by bank/credit card company. Some scammers buy the game on the steam store and when they get the game from you they use the contact form to tell steam support lies to encourage revocation of the gift. Support is not always on top of things and they make it easier for people with ill intentions to do what they do.
  5. Aitchy

Aitchy New User

Steam:
    Thanks for your reply Lava, yes that is true if you're just going off a report. And yes I do understand the way revoked gifts work and some people might buy cheap gifts and resell them not knowing. But I also think there is a problem here where a scammer uses a dummy account to buy the games, sends them to the trading account and sells them. Yes there will be some people who unkowingly sell revoked games but I beleive this is something that could be addressed in some form.

If someone is reported for selling revoked gifts then they should be liable for that whether the knew they would be revoked or not. It would serve as a lesson to people who were "innocent" and also help promote not buying these types of gifts from people with no trading history for a quick profit. If I was to go and sell a gift to someone that then got revoked and I never knew that it would be revoked I would be helping the victim. At the end of the day it would of been my fault that someone is now out of x number of keys or skins and now has no game to show for it.

Having the excuse of "I bought the game from someone else to sell to you for profit so it's not my problem" is unacceptable. When it comes to a user that claims they never realised. This would serve as a possible way for victims to be compensated and also to educate stupid people or sellers who don't care where the game came from. I believe every user like this where proper proof has been shown should have to be made responsible for making the situation right, whether they knew or not, otherwise this just keeps going, we know valve don't investigate properly, they just ban the original purchasing account 90% of the time and the smart scammers will be using VPN.

Yes it's a little more moderation work I understand this and proof from a victim and an accused might not always be concret to be able to make a proper judgement btu at least in the cases you can something can be done about it.

I'd suggest something along the lines of anyone accused of selling revoked gifts have a temp sr tag added to them and an admin comments in the report asking for proof/explanation from the accused if the proof from the victim is adequate. It shouldn't matter if the accuses was aware or not they should be expected to help the victim and if not have tags perma tags applied.

I've spent many hours trying to educate people about the dangers of revoked gifts and how to spot them and it's frustrating to see people be scammed like this. And neither valve or SR will do anythign about it, at least we can still demand they help the victim or face a ban but that's just one community out of many.

As I said if I sold someone a revoked gift unknowingly and sr tagged me for it, I would cooperate as much as I could and help the victim. And I don't see why that's unreasonable to be expected from everyone else. The peopel who do it on purpose either won't fight the sr tag or won't provide proper evidence that shows they were unaware (uncropped client inventory history, steam accoutn purchase history, or not helping the victim recover the loss). In those cases a perma tag should be applied.
  6. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Hmm, I agree this is a large issue right now, tho I do not personally believe holding innocent users accountable for things that may be out of their control is that much of a problem solver. In my personal opinion, a good way to start "dealing with it" is to educate users on the dangers of buying gifts, make the resources available to, and encourage them, to help them do their due diligence and make the right safe decisions. :)
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    No, we will not "temp" tag users and then perm tag just because they dont followup (if they even know to followup) This is almost exactly why we dropped almost all phishing related reports. Our policy is also written so if a user is a repeat offender/continued threat, with solid evidence, we may make an exception and tag the user (Once again, with games, its near impossible to prove) No point in tagging if they simply can appeal and have the tag removed.
    Horse likes this.
  8. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    It's not about avoiding work, it's about harming innocent people. We don't "shoot first, ask questions later" or treat people as "guilty until proven innocent" by default, which is what making people appeal to prove they didn't scam would amount to. Like it or not, marking someone as a scammer does serious damage to their reputation, and we don't take that lightly.

Furthermore, our mission is not to control or corner the market. It sounds like you're suggesting we use tags as a way of conditioning people to "check who you trade with" or "check what you're trading for". There is surely a need for education here, but punishing or striking fear of God into them is not the way to do it.
    It's unreasonable because it's trivial to fake evidence, and there's nothing to collect that can prove or disprove the accused was innocent. There is nothing they can take a screenshot of to prove their innocence any more than a scammer claiming it was all a setup. And scammers appeal with lies and fake evidence all the time, so don't believe they would "not bother". You may be happy with getting your reputation trashed every few months because of relaxed evidence requirements and scammers taking advantage of the system, but the majority of traders will not be. Even if that doesn't bother you, the influx of innocent people getting marked would also hurt our credibility we've spent years establishing, and people would simply not take BANNED or CAUTION tags seriously anymore.
    Horse and Roudydogg1 like this.
  9. Aitchy

Aitchy New User

Steam:
    Ok, thanks for responses