1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Retracted Sari♥'s Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by Sari, Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50710336
    1) Applicant Name and Info: (copy and paste the usual several lines of IDs from SR profile)
    | steamname: Sari
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:50710336
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198061686401
    | customURL:
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198061686401

Q & A
    2) How old are you, what city and area do you live in?
    I am 16 years old and I live in a small town located in Southern New Jersey, USA (I’d rather not say exactly where, though if necessary I can provide the exact area where I live).

3) Please tell us a bit about yourself (job, school, hobbies, other)?
    I am currently in my junior year and I am considering choosing a career in either anatomy/physiology or possibly mechanical engineering (there’s also the possibility of pursuing a career in chemical engineering). On the side, I love to play videogames such as various Nintendo games (mainly Zelda and Pokemon) and Steam games such as Left 4 Dead and of course, TF2.

4) Why do you want to be an SR mod?
    I have had many encounters with scammers in the past and I find it unfair that some people spend months-if not years-trying to collect/earn items, and then scammers can take those items away in literally 5 minutes. I think SR does a great job on filtering the good people from the bad, and I would love to be part of a group of people that fights against thieves.

5) How much time can you donate to SR per week?
    On weekdays, I could probably donate about 3-4 hours per day. On weekends, probably 5-6 hours per day, if not more.

6) Do you have any prior admin experience, or similar, and please elaborate?
    I’ve been helping people out in the reports section of the Steamrep forums for nearly a year (telling them how to format their reports, what to add on their reports, where to report sharking reports), although aside from this, I do not have much admin experience. While I’m fully aware that me helping SR technically does not count as admin experience, I feel that helping people in the reports section has helped me greatly understand how the site works, and has helped me mature just in general.

7) What do you foresee as challenges as an SR mod?
    Trying to keep up with the large amount of reports that are created each day

8) Can you accept the fact that you must enforce per SR rules and guidelines?
    Yes I can.

9) Do you feel you will have any issues denying appeals or accepting reports?
    No. I’ve been on this site for a while and I know how reports are processed.

10) Do you handle instruction and direction well?
    Yes I do.

11) What do you feel are your personal shortcomings or attributes you can improve on?
    The only really shortcomings that I can think of is on rare occasions, I might tend to repeat something that is already provided, but I haven’t done this in a while.

12) What contributions do you believe you will be able to make to SR?
    I am very straight-forward: I don’t let my emotions get the better of me. I can also process reports very swiftly, as I do not have much trouble with analyzing reports and taking action.

13) Do you have any interest in eventually becoming an SR Admin? If so, what kinds of things would you like to do? (Example- community relations, appeals, scam reports, etc.)
    I honestly have no interest in becoming an admin. I always saw myself as more of a “sidekick.”

14) Please list all alternate Steam Accounts by their ID64.
    I do not have any alternate accounts, although here is my brother’s account (though I don’t have access to it)
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198050910781

15) Do you agree to the Code of Conduct and agree to abide by it?
    I have read the Code of Conduct and I agree to it.

16) Have you read the Duties of SR Moderators post and understand it?
    I have read it and I understand it.

17) Do you have any questions?
    At this time, no.
  2. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    I know it doesn't count, but you have my vote.

Good luck, Sari.
    Sari likes this.
  3. McCreW

McCreW New User

I definitely vouch for Sari, p.s NJ rocks!
  4. Sjru

Sjru SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Steam:
    So you finally applied? Yay ++

Hope you get in!
    Sari and Hitman Sparky like this.
  5. Frost-Seupoj

Frost-Seupoj New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:29854057
    Yes this is good! Good luck on your application
  6. Aziel

Aziel New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:8127146
    I'll vouch for sari, doesn't mean much from me, but he's the most helpfull guy i've encountered on these forums and puts his self out of his way to help others.
  7. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868

On numerous occasions your pseudo mod'ing and posting inappropriately has led to warnings from SR staff. If you weren't able to follow the instructions and directions of this forum, its policies or the SR staff as a non-staff member, why would this be different when you're actually staff?

As a SR mod, you review evidence, you don't mark individuals, if that's what you meant by "taking action". As for your analytical skills, many times I've looked through threads that you've posted in and noticed that your inexperience has led you to make mistakes or you don't get the full picture.

I have serious concerns as to your qualifications, I know that you post here quite often. And while I commend you for wanting to help out, I often find myself placing you among the list of the "wannabe mods".Time and time again I've stressed that those who don't speak for SR should speak as a third party and not leave anything up for confusion.

The confusion of who is SR staff, who isn't, along with the spewing of misinformation and individuals passing judgement as lynch mobs is not the fault of the SR staff or the individuals reporting scammers, it lies with those who perpetuate their 'pseudo mod' status to satisfy their egos.
  8. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    This. Going through as many reports as you can always spamming the same paste will make you look like an idiot when your response is irrelevant. Almost worse than knucklejoe.
  9. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    By that logic, Hitman Sparky and Clive probably shouldn't be considered for moderator either.

I'm not sure why you keep attacking me specifically. This isn't the place for it.
  10. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    I'm not sure what you mean by inappropriate behavior, as I do not remember ever acting inappropriate in the forums (the only time I was given a warning similar to this was when I first responded to a spam post, though this was back when I first started using the site). So far, I have only received one warning from a staff member about my "pseudo-modding" (I'd rather not say who it was exactly), and the reason for this was because I decided to try and help out people in the appeal section (telling them where to report, etc.).

Instead of arguing with you and Ace about it, I'm going to openly say that I had made a terrible mistake in doing that. I've seen a few other non-admin members at the time do the same thing, and I didn't know that it was bad to try and help them out. While I have a feeling it's not the only reason you're saying this Ace, something tells me that one of the main reasons is because of me accidently misinforming someone on this thread. The user at the time had an AF2 tag, and me-not knowing how to appeal tags when it came to misunderstandings at the time-decided to tell him to appeal on your site. It wasn't until you messaged me on Steam that I realized that I had made a big mistake. I was not informed that my pseudo-modding was a bad thing until I was given a temporary banned by an admin (won't say who). I talked to him, and he said that I had apparently received warnings through the SR forums, but due to a bug, they never showed up. Because of this, I was unbanned, and since then, I have never pseudo-modded when it comes to appeals (however, sometimes when I see a person who's account was hijacked trying to appeal, I may try and help him, saying something like "I'm not part of SR, but it would be good to..."). I had never realized how my tone made it sound like I was an admin, and I apologize for that.

By taking action, I meant by looking at the evidence to see if there's enough info to mark a report as ready for review, or mark it as improper format, etc.

All I want to do is help people out, and if you're referring to me saying things such as "hello, could you provide [etc.]" as part of my pseudo-modding, then I apologize for it. The reason I talk like this is because it's much easier than saying "I don't speak for the SR staff" on every report.

I haven't been doing this to satisfy my ego, I'm just trying to help out.

Please try not to derail this thread.
  11. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    You're right, they shouldn't.

Do not mistake my post; I am not trying to derail, I'm bringing forth the idea that "SR vigilantes" make terrible staff.
  12. Sjru

Sjru SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Steam:

I don't think the opinion of a SR mod that was fired and threw his rep for doing shady bussiness is worth much anymore =3

----

For the questions that arise here: If you're not part of the staff you don't know the procedures, ergo you're prone to make errors.

Sari might have made errors while trying to help, is normal because he doesn't know a lot about the subject, you cannot critizise an user for not knowing =(, he has the spirit and the will to help, and that matters, he just need to know how to do it.

In any case, I'd rather see users that actually are in the forum helping as mods, instead of admins that are way too busy to even do a report each month and are made staff for reasons.

Since I already seeing this going into a flamewar I'll look this until an admin replies, thank you!
    Sari likes this.
  13. CanadianInvasion

CanadianInvasion Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11860924
    I am unlocking this app as moderators have no bearing on the outcome of mod apps. It will be processed at the appropriate time by an admin instead.
  14. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    Cookie cutter moderation is not moderation. (Not specifically referring to you Sparky or Clive).

I don't plan on arguing with you. I'm not sure if warnings are public, and just in case they aren't, I won't specify the number or reasons, but you have more than one and a few of them refer to things I mentioned.

I understand that you want to help, but talking like your SR staff doesn't do that.

When you post, you instruct users to do things, and leave out the fact that you aren't staff.

[​IMG]

It leads people to have misunderstandings because of your vague language. Then when they understandably ask you, since they believe you are staff, to help them further, you tell them you're not a Mod.

Either you're helping people or you're acting like SR staff. For Zenith 2, you aren't SR staff, which you should have clarified originally, you still could have looked over his report and given him feedback as "someone who likes to help".

So my issue is that, if you're going to help people, then don't mass post, don't try cookie cutter moderation, address someone's concerns, make it clear you're a third party and then help them through the process. So many of the vigilantes scratch the surface then cause more issues.

There's been hundreds of threads, where some random user gives the reporter a blanket post, then never revisits the topic. Leaving the reporter to believe he was abandoned and that his report isn't worth someone's time.

Instead of going for the post count, it's about getting the reports polished and processed. SR doesn't play the numbers game, anyone who wants to be part of the SR staff should understand that.
  15. Sari

Sari Helpful Member

Steam:
    Thank you for the advice. I've honestly never really looked at my posts in that perspective, and now, after hearing what you've said (in both this post and your one prior to this) I feel that there is definitely room for improvement. One of the main reasons I liked to post a lot was because I wanted reports to be processed ASAP, so that they could be looked at by actual moderators so they could eventually catch the scammers. I never posted just for going for post count-I did it because I wanted to help others. I guess I should stop pseudo-modding and act like who I really am: not a mod.

And because of all of this (not just your posts but also Ace's I guess), I would like to retract my application. I might try re-applying in the future when I feel that I'm ready, but as for now, I'd just like to put all of this trouble behind and look at a new future.

Thanks.
    McCreW likes this.
  16. Sjru

Sjru SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Steam:

Oh sad to hear =(

I guess that the lobby here against useful members from other parties has made you change your mind.

Hopefully some day you can come back =3

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  17. CanadianInvasion

CanadianInvasion Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:11860924
    Seeing as how Sari has retracted, I am now locking it.
  18. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    I know this is locked, but I have to comment because we need to stop this behavior.

Eoj-- when you are chiming in here, you are also chastising people without making it clear that you are not SteamRep staff (which you seem to feel is a major no-no, but I think is less of an issue-- it's SR's issue to manage anyway). Honestly, we have enough problems finding staff without you berating candidates who are offering to help-- I'm truly disappointed in you. Help people but do not make life worse for us, please.

I'm just going to bold that line right there and ask you to reread this entire thread and see how you just condemned yourself. You are not SR staff yourself, yet you are giving someone grief about "passing judgement when not on staff" when that's exactly what you are doing. I cannot fathom why you are saying things like this with such a condescending tone-- it is not your place and it is not welcome. Be helpful and encouraging, with constructive criticism... but this kind of comment making this about his "ego" has no place and applies better to you in this situation than most anyone on this thread.

Sari-- I encourage you to re-open an application whenever you feel comfortable doing so. I recommend growing a thicker skin, if possible-- this situation won't be the last batch of criticism.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.