1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Scammed items being returned?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by TradingCo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:61150066
    Hey guys, i'm fairly new here and i feel that i can help out some of the players here that have been scammed. I have seen scam reports from people who have lost a few scrap in items to a few buds in items. It personally eats away at me seeing that valve wont return scammed items. There is honestly nothing that can be done about that on valves end. To many variables. I personally have about 50 or so idle accounts that i collect some items on. I was thinking that for some of the smaller end scams, scams involving a few keys and such, i could refund a percentage of what they lost. Obviously by reading this there are some flaws. People can set up scams where a friend could "scam" another friend in order to then have me refund what they supposedly lost. So i think it should be at the decision of admins and mods and such of the players that should receive a refund. Honestly it seems like it would be difficult to do so but i feel that there is enough power behind this community that there will be a way to figure things like this out. I'm open to all suggestions regarding this.
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

1. This isn't a community. We support communities. There are things that we do support in causes from communities, but SteamRep itself isn't a community. The forum is a necessary system in keeping the reports public, and give people a means to report and ask questions or help with their steam trading problems.
    2. On your generous offer to "give back" to victims. I don't think that would do much good. There is a daily ~50 or more reports being filed here. The big problem is just people too greedy or too gullible. That doesn't need a award. I've always said that its their learning money to stop being so unaware. Do I dislike the scammers getting that? yeah. But it doesn't change a thing as long as ppl are being that gullible. SR is there to record and display people that scam. Refunding the victims in partial would add more work to what we already have, and with 9700 scammers in the database, its a tiny drop of water on a glowing hot plate. I suggest that if you want to give some, give it to a good charity.
    Dronefly and Cal`El like this.
  3. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:61150066
    Yeh, you bring up some very valid points DataStorm. Yeh i dont think i put enough thought into this. Thank you for the feedback
  4. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yeah I love your innocent altruism, and that is worth more than anything tangible anyway :)
  5. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

And btw, with appeals people are already required to give back the stuff to their victims, either in the items they stole or in value. This may conflict in the "giving back" you intended as well.

I'm not saying that you cannot give to victims, but SR admins won't be involved in this, and it is a enterprise you have to entertain yourself.

PS: SR does take donations for the upkeep of the server and domain etc.
  6. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I would like to volunteer (if needed) my services to convert that metal to real money for SR if they do not take items as donation. I will even incur the paypal costs associated with the transfers. I will not want a donator tag or anything of the sort but will gladly offer my conversion services for free (only if it is needed and wanted though).
  7. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Diego accepts:
    - Paypal
    - Bitcoin
    - TF2 keys, ref's, promo's.
    Dronefly likes this.