1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Scammer tried to hijack my account

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Idon'tknowaboutmylife, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Idon'tknowaboutmylife

Idon'tknowaboutmylife New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:198195270
    Here is his account on steam:
    (REDACTED)
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Long story short,
    I bought a gift card for a scammer and he said it was to “restore” my account for fraud, which I haven’t, and he locked me out, steam support gave me access again, so I would like to
    File a report on him, is there a way to
    Do it?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2020
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    @Idon'tknowaboutmylife I edited your title and post, so the profile you linked is redacted and the title no longer says that "SteamRep" is trying to steal your account. For transparency, the original title was "SteamRep tried to hijack my account", and I edited that because of the droves of 7 year olds in CS:GO who will not read past the title of a Google search to read this explanation, and the title as-is was provably incorrect. The profile you linked in your original post has never been affiliated with SteamRep before, and you can tell that by copying and pasting their profile URL into the search bar on https://steamrep.com/ or see https://steamrep.com/tips/pretrade for a more thorough explanation. Just because a random stranger on the internet who demands you immediately give them your password says they're a SteamRep admin doesn't mean they actually are.

Regarding the link: Sometimes people use the general discussion forum as a substitute for filing proper reports when for whatever reason we can't properly investigate them. Many of them know full-well their report falls outside our investigative policy, and so just go straight to general discussion to get "something" without following our due process. Therefore, in order to prevent our General Discussion from being used to incite witch hunts or lynch mobs, we do not allow profile links to be posted publicly and staff are required to redact them on sight. Furthermore, allowing the General Discussion forum to be used for a catch-all secondary report section would drown out actual discussion. Therefore, the link has been redacted from your report.

For future reference, if a SteamRep admin actually attempts to hijack your account (please double-check first, how do you know?), you should report it to both us and Valve (from the profile page) so we can take swift action. We can't do anything about the hundreds or thousands of new throwaway accounts impersonating us - none of us are part of Steam Support. Account hijacking is normally outside our investigative policy (read why here), but if we catch any of our own staff scamming we have other ways of holding them accountable that would be impossible for a throwaway scammer alt. This is despite our investigative policy, because scammers are exactly the types of people we endeavor to keep out of staff.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**