1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined scrap.tf

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by Geel9, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geel9

Geel9 Scrap.tf co-owner Partner Community Friend Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:18301684
    1. Please list the URL/IP of each server in your community that runs the SteamRep plugin and how many days each has been running it.
    N/A

2. Have you made any modifications or changes to the SteamRep plugin? If so, please list.

3. Please list the URL of your community's Steam group.
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tf2scrap

4. Please list the URL of your admins Steam group.
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/scrapadmins

5. Please list ALL admins (not in the above group) and/or moderators of your community below with links to their SteamRep profile
    Derongan - http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198010489391

6. What are your community's policies on scamming & scamming-related activities?
    While our policies are obviously against scamming, it's not exactly applicable for scrap.tf

7. Why does your community wish to be affiliated with SteamRep?
    Affiliation with SteamRep would provide scrap.tf with validity in the trading scene.

8. Please provide a link to your community's website (if applicable)
    http://scrap.tf

9. Please provide a link to your community's Sourcebans or ban/report forum.
    N/A

10. Please provide a link to your community's stats page, hlstatsx or GameMe (if applicable).
    N/A

11. Please provide additional details about your community such as how it came to be, how long it has been around, the primary goals of it, what it does, etc.
    Scrap.tf was started on August 6, 2012, as a way to provide automatic scrapbanking. It was started by Geel9 and Jessecar96, and was started when I (Geel9) wanted to expand my current scrapbanking bot into a website. We've since expanded to include hatbanking, keybanking and ticket banking.

12. Please post your community's desired banner (if not already on SR). Banners should be 225x48.
    scraptfsteamrep.png
  2. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    Where is the "we"? To be honest, I am abit afraid of groups ran by 1 person...
  3. Geel9

Steam:
    Jessecar and me...?
  4. wic

wic New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1874586
    Sorry, misunderstood :/
  5. Geel9

Steam:
    "not in the above group"
  6. Accell

Accell tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32356495
    I shall personally vouch for Scrap.tf. Nice development team, and the website provides a useful service that will only grow in popularity from here.
  7. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
  8. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Good luck with your application.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  9. naknak

naknak New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:4548848
    from February 22, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tf2scrap/discussions/0/846945955340889948/
    They know their bots are cheating players, no time to fix it, and no, they aren't going to honor the agreed price, so stop telling them, guys.

In other news, they're now reselling buds.
  10. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    They have always said, that thier bots where a bit out of date so check before you accept the trade.
    Thats not cheating, i´ve used scrap.tf tons of times and 9 out of 10 times it works fine, when it dosnt i cancel the trade and go back in queue not that hard, no one puts a gun to your head and forces you to press accept ?.

Scrap.tf is a lovely system that needs a few updates no doubt, but they are diffenetly SR worthy for sure =)
  11. naknak

naknak New User

Steam:
    Always said it where? 10 pages deep on the announcements in their steam group? Certainly not on the front page of their site, and not in the chat you get from the bots.

And since when does saying "I might underpay" absolve the responsibility to honor a commitment? If someone is deceived by a bot that writes in chat "you will receive X" but puts X-Y in the trade, they should be made whole.
  12. Liquid Fire

Liquid Fire New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:14867501
    To be honest it's the users own fault for completing the trade if the bot hasn't put up any items.
    -hg- COBALT and ForteSP like this.
  13. Ben

Ben New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:7959570
    Why would you accept the trade anyway if you weren't going to receive the full amount? Glitches happen. If the site had any credits system then yes I would understand concern but the site only deals in item to item trades.
    Liquid Fire likes this.
  14. naknak

naknak New User

Steam:
    You might miscount. You might be trading a lot and assume the computer got it right. It's not like they are forthcoming about this problem, or have done anything extraordinary to alert users (though they are very clear on the point that they won't honor their commitments in case of a glitch).

"Glitches happen" is kind of a stupid thing to say. The glitch is not the serious problem, it's the attitude that they are free to keep the proceeds.

Here's clear steamrep precedent showing that traders are expected to honor agreements, even if one party accidentally accepts a worse trade: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561198025211160-rwarsish-sr-scammer.4817/

Here's Geel9 himself saying that it's wrong to keep these profits (but he is being overruled by Jesse): http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1agxsf/i_love_scraptf/c8xj3m9
  15. naknak

naknak New User

Steam:
    By this logic, quickswitching is acceptable.

The SR FAQ and common sense make it clear that obligations don't disappear just because a trade is made. Agreements must be honored. This is, literally, what the word "honesty" means.

This issue is not complicated or ambiguous, at all.
    Roudydogg1 and Backseatsman like this.
  16. Regen

Regen New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23013129
    He actually has a point, it would be like a quickswitch, and if someone happens to get ripped of a bud I would imagine that they would get pretty pissed off, and when they hear "yeah its a common glitch, but it is your fault for not tripple checking, no refunds m8" they could potentially take it as a scam and report it to SR.

It would be a different chase if they gave refunds, just keep logs off all transactions by every user and request to see trade history if they do want a refund.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  17. Miz

Miz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:24959576
    I've been doubting those devs for a pretty long time now, and as time passes they just keep reinforcing that feeling.

For example abusing website popularity for potential personal gain:
    Embedding image to scrap.tf announcements with link address: http://steamlottery.com/76561197996869097.
    So everyone who were visiting scrap.tf at the time and were logged in to steamlottery website got 'reffered' by geel without even knowing.

Massive security holes in website:
    Before above example ( a day ago ), there were massive severity holes in website that could: steal user sessions, full access to html output for users and everything else you could do with it ( those were fixed after some time ).
    I'm just wondering how many more holes like that are that were not yet discovered.

Another thing is that they don't seem to learn from their mistakes ( at least Jessecar96 ) .
    He made this tool 'FT Toolkit' that was suppose to add some extra functionality to forum.
    But the problem was that tool itself was sending user session ids to jessecar's server for some reasons.
    Then peoples avatars started changing, basically user security was compromised due to it.

Here is full screen-caps of that thread on facepunch:

Both are banned from facepunch, geel for shitposting and jesse for compromising user security with 'FP Toolkit'
  18. Pokéman493

Pokéman493 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34951945
    Developer incompetence at its finest.
    Roudydogg1 and Nickolas Cat like this.
  19. Nickolas Cat

Nickolas Cat New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22437298
    I only knew about the steamlottery ticket thing, which is s✿✿✿ on it's own, but all this?
    I am starting to feel like i should stop using scrap.tf all together and go back to old fashioned Scrapbanking
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  20. Graypairofsocks

Graypairofsocks New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:57427049
    I think the steamlottery.com website is safe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.