1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Seeing Older Steam Messages

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by GUMMYBEAR, Aug 12, 2018.

1. GUMMYBEAR

GUMMYBEAR New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44015332
    I've made an appeal to someone who's obviously a scammer, but the report was denied.

They have chatted with me, but it has been over a week then and they have since unfriended me, thus the chat does not appear in https://help.steampowered.com/en/accountdata/GetFriendMessagesLog

In my appeal my proofs were partly from myself, and a victim which I spoke with. The scammer was trying to fool me and gave me 7 days to activate my Steam Guard, this is when I started digging in to profiles from theirs.

The person have since tried to scam me with a fake paypal email address, the same email which is written in their steam profile, but that's all I have now. Unless I can check even older messages, that is.
  2. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    You mean report?

Sometimes it's not possible to recover sufficient evidence to mark someone as a scammer, no matter what you do, and we simply have to close the report. It's better that way than risking we hurt innocent people in the process. If they're a significant threat to the community, they'll probably scam multiple people, and one of them will have proper evidence to make a report.

This happens from time to time, and even more often, victims don't even know we exist to make a report in the first place. That's why it's really important you shouldn't automatically trust someone just because they aren't banned on SteamRep.
  3. GUMMYBEAR

GUMMYBEAR New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:44015332
    Is there absolutely nothing we can do though? Their account seems to have existed for a long time and some other person who made a report on her got denied as well.

Also, I did not get scammed. I almost did and have a proof outside of steam that they tried to.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Nope, if you don't have enough evidence, and can't recover it, we're out of luck. Lost Steam chat is the most common way evidence gets lost.