1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Seeking advice

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Xacrifar, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Xacrifar

Xacrifar New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:17608782
    Hi all

I decided to open this thread to seek your opinion/advice on this matter of mine.

Basically, I was scammed back in late 2011 when steam recently implemented the function to trade steam games for in game items. I had a flies Tyrolean at that time which was was one of my spare unusual hats. At that point of time, I had already retired from active trading and decided to use it to acquire some games.

I posted in the steam forums and someone pmed me that he could offer me Batman Arkham City (Preorder) and Dungeon Defenders. I immediately accepted and we traded. Now all was fine within the first month, however in the second month I received notification from the steam browser that my copy of Batman: Arkham City is revoked (I think the owner filed a claim via his credit card company).

Now you can imagine my dismay, I'm halfway playing this fantastic game and now its gone along with my unusual tyrolean. At the time, I didn't bother to report steam support as I was upset and had work commitments piling up. I was more upset since that flies tyrolean was one of my first unusual hats I acquired.

I recently mentioned this incident to one of my friends in a casual conversation and he informed that Steam Support would grant my old flies tyrolean back in cases like this.

Supporting information I can provide:
    1. I still have the private message correspondence with the scammer from the Steam forums.
    2. I have a record of this steam trade taking place as it's recorded in my steam trade history. In fact, this was my FIRST steam trade transaction. (This actually put me off trading for steam games until I decided to try again a few months ago).

Now I have 2 MAIN concerns
    1. If I wish to raise this issue to steam support, my concern is that I have previously purchased some tf2items using Paypal before hence I would have some one-sided transactions. Would steam support likely flagged me or put me on steam probation for these one-sided transaction
    2. As this incident took place so long ago, would Steam support likely refund me a copy of the game or provide me with my old hat back? Weird thing was the scammer only revoked the batman arkham city presumably because it was the more expensive game (I think it cost $50-$60 USD at the time).

Thanks for taking the time to read this WOT.
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    No, they would not.

My belief is that they will not refund you. It was a few years ago now, the time to retriever your items has likely come and gone. Not to mention, Valve recently said that they don't want you to contact them via support if you were scammed. I was scammed by the same thing in 2011, but I contacted them immediately and got my items back. I think there's a small chance that they'll return your unusual. Sorry mate, guess you can try anyway, but I'm not sure anything will happen.
  3. Xacrifar

Xacrifar New User

Steam:
    Alright thanks for your reply. Guess I will let this matter just go. Only thing I can be thankful for would be that I still own 1 of the games and that the unusual hat wasn't too valuable.
  4. Sjru

Sjru Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:13315037
    I'd like to point out that I had a friend that had a similar situation regarding a trade and revoked games.

He didn't told support until like 2 years after, (Likely thinking it won'r work) but after he did and support replied, he got his items back.
    It doesn't hurt to try =3
  5. Xacrifar

Xacrifar New User

Steam:
    After some persuasion by my friends, I decided to lodge a steam report against the user.

While I understand the likelihood of getting my items back is slim, I hope Steam does take action against this user.

I would like to check whether it's possible to file a steam rep report against this user if my report to Steam Support is successful?
  6. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    As long as you have the proper evidence, a SteamRep report would be great.