1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Setting accounts to private should be disabled.

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by AF2 | SPIRIT, Jul 20, 2012.

1. AF2 | SPIRIT

AF2 | SPIRIT New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35144733
    Be honest, who else would set is profile to private, if not a scammer trying to hide his ass?
    Also, Setting your profile to private should give you a caution mark on SR.
  2. BloodyFlame

BloodyFlame New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:37591370
    I can only see this being applied to those who have denied setting their profile to public when asked by an admin.
  3. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    There are a few reasons to have a private profile.
    1) obviously as you stated, with intent to scam.
    2) with people having different fears of releasing ANY info about themselves for others to see.
    3) the Internet is a dark place and you never know what someone may do if they can see some info about you.

As for the caution tag, that is the users choice to set it to private if they want and we can not force them to change their own choice of privacy because we don't like it.
  4. Starburst

Starburst New User

lol, a caution for using a setting on steam, nope.

inb4 ironic
    HelenAngel likes this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    lol

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  6. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    I doubt this would be practical, any and all tags on SR should, in my opinion be well justified. If people start being tagged for not wanting to release info about themselves, then it would give scammers and other tagged players an example to say that Sr marks unfairly. This *could* lead to a loss of trust in SR, due to people being tagged only for wanting privacy.
  7. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19877328
    I have an alt that's private, should I get a caution?
  8. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    Doesn't your SR profile state that you will not have a private profile nor do you have any alts?
  9. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    That was for the people who impersonated me when I was a middleman.
  10. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868
    There's plenty of legitimate reasons to have a Private Profile.
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Indeed.

It is prudent to bear in mind that "traders" are a tiny fraction of people who play the game, and "unusual traders" are so microscopic to be largely insignificant.

As an Admin, especially have oversight of both normal trade + unusual servers, a "private bp" has relevance to me depending on the site I am managing, however in terms of normal users, there are a plethora of reasons for wanting a private BP, simple as that.

The OP either has no understanding of the fact that traders are but a tiny fraction of the population of this game, or has not properly understood exactly what SR sets out to do and just why it requires evidence to proceed to issuing of tags.
  12. AF2 | SPIRIT

AF2 | SPIRIT New User

Steam:
    Could you tell me a few? (not meant to be sarcastic, but I can't think of anything else... Hiding everything? Why are you using Steam then?)

I'm not talking about private backpacks, but private profiles. It differs a lot.
    Also, I don't think someone who doesn't trade would care about a mark that says "Caution, private profile" or something.
    Yeah, give caution to a moderator... (no)

That setting doesn't have any other uses than trying to hide from something, and as a trader you shouldn't do so. Unless of course you have something to hide. And if you have, then you are probably not trustworthy.
    *Not directed at you, just a general statement.
  13. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    Did you not read my first post on some reasons of a private profile and to my knowledge, you cant have a private bp without a private profile.
  14. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26049181
    no but you shouldn't get any green tags, especially since it's trade banned
  15. AF2 | SPIRIT

AF2 | SPIRIT New User

Steam:
    In my opinion it's easier to don't share information that you'd like to hide...

That's interesting...
  16. AcesGamer

AcesGamer User

Steam:
    That's irrelevant. That account doesn't have any, neither is it trade banned anymore.
  17. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868

I believe you can set BP and profile settings differently.

Many people I know have private profiles to prevent people from looking in their backpacks, from preventing people from saying what games or etc they may have. Some people want to game in private and would rather game offline, it's their choice and they shouldn't warrant a caution for doing so.
  18. Champelliot

Champelliot New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:36236835
    So much for equality.
  19. AF2 | SPIRIT

AF2 | SPIRIT New User

Steam:
    Daemon said that his private alt is trade banned as well, so I'm not sure about what you quoted from me.
  20. Jmcmλtrix

Jmcmλtrix New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:5412928
    I have a private profile, you know privacy.