1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined: Moderator Sniper Pro's Moderator App

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by Sniper Pro, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Sniper Pro

Sniper Pro FirePowered Head Admin Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49525162
    Requesting this please be moved to the Mod App section, was unable to post there and Lava suggested I do this:
    http://puu.sh/lkrDy/c574d0a32f.png

Thank you!

1) SteamRep ID block pasted from your SR profile.

| steamname: [FP] Sniper Noob
    | steam3ID: [U:1:99050325]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:49525162
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198059316053
    | customURL:
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198059316053

2) Are you at least 18 years of age? Timezone and nation of residence?

I am 19 years old (turning 20 on December 1st). I live in Massachusetts, USA (EST)

3) Please tell us about yourself (job, school, hobbies, etc)?

I'm currently a college student studying Computer Science and minoring in Economics. My hobbies include TF2, trading, golf, eating horrifying amounts of Chinese food, and just hanging out with friends.

4) Why do you want to become a SteamRep moderator?

I've wanted to become a part of the SteamRep staff for quite some time now, but just never took the time to apply. I do whatever I can to help out in the community, especially as I'm heavily involved with trading. A lot of people ask me for help with trading, often to avoid being scammed, and I always do whatever I can to help them out. This is a great opportunity to take on a larger responsibility and be able to help out in ways I simply can't as an everyday TF2 player, and I want to make the most of that opportunity.

5) How much time can you devote to SteamRep per week?

I am in college, but I do also have a lot of free time. I'm on Steam pretty much all night, so I would have plenty of time to devote to SteamRep. I would say 2-3 hours per day on weekdays and more than that on weekends, but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was higher than that.

6) Do you have any prior administrative experience, or similar (please elaborate)?

I do. I've been an admin/moderator for several different communities over the last few years. My longest stint was at CEGamer (http://www.cegamer.com/forum.php) where I was a server/forum administrator dealing with all things TF2 since 2013. I left earlier this year because the servers lost most of their population and the community decided to go in a different direction. I've also briefly been an admin on an unusual server, but the server only lasted a month or so.

Most recently, I was accepted as a moderator for FirePowered gaming, which is a friend community of SteamRep. I've been a moderator there for 2 months now, and any regulars of our unusual trade server will surely know my name. :)

7) What challenges do you foresee if you become a moderator?

Obviously, there is a large backlog of reports that we all know about, so getting through all those is going to be a lot of hard work. But I know what I'm signing up for if I'm accepted and I'm happy to do it. Other than that, just taking the time to make sure every detail is considered in reports, especially those that are very complicated.

8) Can you accept the fact that you must enforce SteamRep rules and guidelines?

Yes.

9) Do you feel you will have any issues denying / accepting reports and appeals?

I do not.

10) Do you handle instruction and direction well?

Yes. In my current role as moderator at FirePowered I am on the lowest rung of the staff ladder, so I've been learning and taking instructions from the more senior admins since I've been there. I think I've done a good job at this, and I'm confident I will be able to learn the moderator role at SteamRep very well.

11) What do you feel are your personal shortcomings or attributes you can improve on?

I tend to be a perfectionist when I'm handling things that can have a significant impact on someone else. I think this might cause me to handle processing reports a little slowly at first until I become more comfortable in my position, but as time goes on I don't think this would be a problem.

12) What contributions do you believe you will be able to make to SteamRep?

I believe I can provide another diligent hand for processing reports. I believe I articulate myself quite well, and giving a clear a direct response is important when handling reports so that all parties are on the same page. I would also like to become more involved in the forums in general. Unfortunately I haven't been overly involved in SteamRep's forums so far, but should I be spending a significant amount of time on SteamRep as a moderator I imagine that would change.

13) Do you have any interest in eventually becoming an SR Admin? If so, what kinds of things would you like to do? (Example- community relations, appeals, scam reports, etc.)

Absolutely. I would like to be involved in community relations and reports for the most part, but really anything I would be needed for I would be happy to do. I enjoy having productive conversations with people who want to discuss an issue, so I think public relations would be a good role for me should I make it to admin.

14) Please list all alternate Steam accounts using SteamRep ID blocks.

| steamname: Sniper Pro Alt
    | steam3ID: [U:1:125769859]
    | steamID32: STEAM_0:1:62884929
    | steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198086035587
    | customURL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/SPBotsGiftWrap
    | steamrep: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198086035587

I initially created this account to be a trading bot, but due to my lack of knowledge making trading bots it quickly became a storage account for random crap I don't have room for on my main.

15) Do you agree to the Code of Conduct and agree to abide by it?

Yes.

16) Have you read the Duties of SR Moderators post and understand it?

Yes.

17) (If applicable) List Steam trading communities you are / have been active on and in what capacity (user, mod, admin), also give a link to the account(s) there.

TF2Outpost (user) http://www.tf2outpost.com/user/347488
    FirePowered (moderator) https://firepoweredgaming.com/forums/user/6784-sniper-pro/
    backpack.tf (user) http://backpack.tf/u/76561198059316053 (trading) and http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/user/6694-sniper-noob/ (forums)

18) Do you have any questions?

None at this time. Thank you for your consideration!
  2. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Good luck!
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  3. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Thank you!
  4. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Nice application, I wish you the best.
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  5. Monkey 2

Monkey 2 Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:28883801
    has my vote. good luck
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  6. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Can we touch our hats together
  7. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Gl.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  8. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Thanks! And thanks for all you do here and over at FoG :)
  9. SIVARTZ

SIVARTZ Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:46928737
    I suggest that you spend some time on SR forums and get to know more of the staff. We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.
    I also wish you the best of luck becoming a mod for SR.
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  10. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Noted, and thank you
  11. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Can you describe your role at the communities that you mod/admin?

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  12. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Of course!

So at CEGamer I was both a forum and server admin for 2+ years. On our server I did what you would expect a server admin to do (enforce rules, ban hackers, etc.). On our forums I did basic maintenance (take care of spamming, offensive threads, etc.) as well as handle any ban/unban requests we had from the TF2 server. Usually this involved reading the report, watching the demo, and making a decision on whether the reported player was breaking any rules.

On FirePowered (currently been a moderator there almost 4 months) my job is similar but involves more. We have 18 servers rather than one, including a trade and unusual trade server. We use an IRC setup to be able to monitor the servers for chat as well as field in-server reports, so that they can be handled almost immediately in real time. In addition, I have admin powers in-server to deal with rule breakers and the like while I'm playing in a server. On our trade and unusual servers, I also help handle middlemanning for those who need it, and any scam reports we get through our forums. As a moderator I am responsible for providing input on anyone who applies for our Member, Senior Member, or Moderator positions. Our scam/player reports are handled as a team most of the time, but as I'm one of the more knowledgeable traders in our community, I'm often asked for input on them.

I recognize that these positions don't offer a lot of experience for handling the types of reports you get on SteamRep, but I know I can apply my knowledge of trading and experience in handling user reports to the scam reports I would get here.

If there's anything else you would like to ask, I'd be happy to answer. :)
  13. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Steamrep Staff! Your application is now under review!
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  14. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Awesome, thank you!
  15. Möbius

Möbius New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:95410742
    I am on firepowered daily, and you are always respectful and fun :D. gl
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  16. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Thanks! See you around on FP :)
  17. Everette

Everette New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:109065025
    I have seen you before. You are a very kind, and knowledgeable person. I believe you would be perfect for this position. Best of luck to you, you have my vote.
    Sniper Pro likes this.
  18. Sniper Pro

Steam:
    Thanks man I appreciate it :)
  19. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Thank you for applying to become a Steamrep Moderator. Unfortunately we have decided to decline your application at this time. I am glad to hear you are helping the community at FirePowered, however we don't think you would be the best fit at Steamrep right now.

Regardless, thank you for applying.