1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

So what's the best site to report scammers on

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Wasabi Kitty, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Wasabi Kitty

Wasabi Kitty New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:42522834
    As a trader in Dota 2 I commonly receive scam attempts, usually at least one a day.

What would the best site be to report these scammers? Dota Traders is dead, and for Steamrep it seems that most likely your report won't be reviewed by an admin.
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    Go to www.steamrep.com and look at the partner communities banners. Click one of them and you can report scammers there. They have their own tags and can easily mark scammers.
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  3. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    They can get users marked quicker because they have a small amount of reports per day compared with SR.
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    When you say DotaTraders are dead, are you meaning this site? http://dota2traders.com/

Also when you say you get scam attempts daily are you meaning "Phishing" or hijack URL's sent to you from random invites or adds on steam?
  5. Wasabi Kitty

Wasabi Kitty New User

Steam:
    Yes that one. It's very inactive and they've recently removed the reports section because there was no one that could handle them that was active (I believe they moved all their pending reports here.)

And by daily, I mean people doing quickswaps, people offering "steam wallet" for my items and then put up a fake VAC message in a trade offers that includes nothing for all of my items, etc.
  6. Wasabi Kitty

Wasabi Kitty New User

Steam:
    Also this, which I found more funny than anything else, but unfortunately I'm sure there are people that would fall for this.

[​IMG]
  7. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    The reports section is still there that I can see so is their appeal section, activity looks recent as of a few weeks ago. But as previously mentioned you should utilize other partners for reports, stay towards the top as those are the ones that have been around longer. Reddit, my group WickedAfterlife, MCT, SOP, TF2TP and SKIAL are the only ones that I know that have been around since about the beginning of SR's inception - there are a few groups on the partner list that appear to be having "internal" issues and/or on the verge of collapse which I would hope those owners would let SR know ahead of time before you have an issue like what happened with RAWR when they folded.
  8. Wasabi Kitty

Wasabi Kitty New User

Steam:

I dunno if you're considered a mod or admin there, I'm unable to see the reports section.

Also this: http://dota2traders.com/forum/thread/notice-to-all.101334/#post-382100

I'll check out some of the sites you mentioned, I noticed a lot of them at first view seemed to be more TF2 oriented so I didn't know if they would handle Dota 2 reports or not.
  9. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    I don't have anything to do with them. Reports may vary a little depending on the game but the evidence and the reasons for the reports are not really different at all. A scam is a scam or scam attempt regardless of what game it is.

I will say this though, I've been exploring the idea of expanding to some DOTA2 and CSGO for our group but I don't play the games so if any of those that are part of that group wish to contact me then let them do so and I'll see what expansion ideas we can come up with. I have the resources available for many more different servers and then some.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    problem is assessing items in Dota2 and CS:GO, for there are a lot of extra stuff involved etc. For instance CS:GO involves properties one cannot see. Skin placement, a specific quality had 3 different levels or w/e I hear. And in trade you cannot see what you exactly get, while it makes a lot of difference in value.
  11. Wasabi Kitty

Wasabi Kitty New User

Steam:
    It's been a while since I played TF2 but I remember them not having the socketing system Dota 2 uses. So if they haven't added it there could theoretically be a scam where someone tries to pass off an item as having a certain prismatic/ethereal gem in it while having one of a much lower value, and it's possible admins wouldn't be familiar with it.