1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

SR Database question

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by TradingCo, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:61150066
    Hey, im not 100% sure if this is the correct section to post this.

I'm in the process of setting up a database similar to SR's in witch they have steam ID' s stored and you can search a users id and other aspects of their profile, and its able to pull up the info the website has gathered about them. I was curious if i could get a tip or 2 on how to do this? I had some thoughts on how to do so but so far none have worked.
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    From what I've heard, it's pretty complex.
  3. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    Yeh, i assumed it would be. I wanted to run a very dumbed down version of it but even that aspect would be complex i assume
  4. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    could you describe in more detail what you want to do?

The way SR loads a profile is EXTREMELY complicated. It's taken mattie (Our resident super genius) a long time to get it as far as it is now.
  5. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    Yeh, rumor has it mattie! is the "the godfather". I currently have my website being worked on and its a database for Sharks. So similar to SR's database we wanted a database for Sharks. So from what i see it being needed for isint as much as SR's database. After talking to Geele9 for a few minutes he says "it wont be that hard", but from an average users view such as my self, it does seem to be complicated but not impossible.
  6. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    heh, good luck with that.
  7. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    is that reffering to the basis of the website or the setup of the database?
  8. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    The idea of the database. It's a LOT of work to maintain it.
  9. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    Yeh, after researching it i'v noticed that. Since its not a 1 man team doing this the work will be spread between a few members. Obviously there is a lot of work to be done so i figure i would ask a few people who knew more about this than I and i could learn from their works and advice.
  10. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Chat to Eoj at Harpoon Gaming about it. They set out to do such a thing a while ago.
    Pretender likes this.
  11. Zyddie

Zyddie New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:23306550
    well building the database in generally simple enough tho, it depends on all you want it to do.

A Database alone easy

Features not so easy, search engine/tag/save and so on is all rather complex programming which can take awhile to get to work fully specially when talking that many profiles.
  12. TradingCo

TradingCo New User

Steam:
    Alrite, will do. Thank you for the tips guys, i really hope that this project can be done. :D