1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steam Trade offer scam/sharks

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Knucklejoe, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    Just something I've noticed watching the report forum in the weeks since the trade offer system was put in...

A pretty good majority of the scam/shark attempts are for Dota 2 items. This makes me think that one of the Dota 2 trade communities isn't doing what they can to discourage scamming and sharking.

Most of the attempts also involve a note saying that money will be moved into the steam wallet automatically. As of yet, this can't happen. It should be common knowledge that steam wallet funds can't be moved, yet people believe the scam and accept the trade without question.

I just get the feeling that people aren't thinking when they try to use the trade offers system. Get educated on how it works before sending or accepting any trades.

Guess I'll get off of my soap box for now. Thoughts?
  2. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    There will always be stupid gullible people out there, and scammers count on this :)
  3. JamesL

JamesL New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48572225
    Happens alot in tf2 community, but i guess it will die out as more people become aware of the scam
  4. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    it'll never really die out. there are generally always new traders and scammers will always target them.
  5. Knucklejoe

Knucklejoe New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:46918739
    Something else I've noticed...

Some people have items on the Steam Market. Scammer notices the item, contacts the seller asking them to take it off, offering them "Steam Wallet funds" for said item. They take it off, trade offer comes in. Has the usual "has offered wallet funds" in the comments.

My question to these people... If they were offering you wallet funds, why didn't they just buy it from the market? That is currently the only way to "transfer" funds to another account.
    If only intelligence could be sold...
    Sari likes this.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    It cannot be sold, but it can be "bought", for the high price of actually putting a bulb in that upper room to light it. For most ppl, that is way too expensive. you can tell them a 1000 times, still they just go the other way.

Its apparently a "get stung" and learn the "hard" way...