1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steam Voice Chat Exploit

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Duskfall -a^DF, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
    Recently, I was the target of a (D)DoS attack by someone who chided me for my denouncement of a hacking section of a forum, stating that not all hackers hack with malicious intent (which is true, if only rarely). Oh the irony. In any case, I figured out that he was using an exploit in Steam's voice chat system to obtain my IP address (I think with an external sniffer program), and then proceeded to shutdown my routers/modems. Luckily, my tech savvy neighbors were more than willing to allow me to mooch off of their network until the attack died down.

My problem here is that this is something that could much too easily. If my research is correct, one would only need to send a voice chat request to be able to obtain the victim's IP address. Now, I know that some of you are going to tell me to simply not accept friend requests from people I don't know. I already do that. The problem stems from my natural position as a mod in a fairly large steam group. Naturally, when people have questions about something or want to report something, they would come to me or some other moderator/admin for assistance. The problem lies within the fact that people can initiate contact with me regardless of whether or not I'm friends with them or not, and this is especially hazardous in my position and even more so if someone who only simply disagreed with my opinion was willing to go as far as (D)DoSing me.

My ultimate point being "Is there anyway to disable Steam's voice chat?"
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Just don't use Steam voice chat and contact someone at Valve to report the exploit. I'm locking the thread as there is nothing we can do to help you here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.