1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steamrep/forum struggles in Edge. Any plans to fix?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Sebastian Nielsen, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Sebastian Nielsen

Sebastian Nielsen New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5443765
    I couldn't find a forum for technical issues, so I post it here.

I have noticed some threads get truncated in the middle, and then the page reloads like 10 times, and then I get a error:
    This page is having a problem loading
    We tried to load this page for you a few times, but there is still a problem with this site. We know you have better things to do than to watch this page reload over and over again so try coming back to this page later.

sometimes a bar appears on the bottom with:
    "forums.steamrep.com is not responding. [Recover webpage]"
    However, clicking the "Recover webpage" causes the whole Edge browser to become milk white and show (Not responding) in the top bar. Only way to get out of this is to kill Edge in the Process manager.

Im using latest Edge 25.10586.0.0 with EdgeHTML 13.10856

This is extremely frustating that some sites, especially Steamrep and a couple of other sites, causing Edge to struggle due to bad coding of the websites.
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Are you having troubles on the actual site (http://steamrep.com/) or just on the forums (http://forums.steamrep.com/), because the forums are a piece of software that SteamRep obviously didn't design, and hence you should probably go and report the issues to manufacturers. From your post it looks like you were talking about the forum.
  3. Sebastian Nielsen

Steam:
    Its on the forum.
  4. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    You should probably report the issues here then: https://xenforo.com
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Sounds like bad coding of a web browser to me. No website, even intentionally/maliciously, should be able to cause that kind of behavior. If the page doesn't look right, it's a website issue. If the browser crashes or freezes, it's either a browser or plugin issue. If Edge, as I understand, doesn't support plugins, that leaves just a browser issue as a possibility. This is further reinforced by your claim that you have the freezing issue on multiple other websites, and not just ours. Time to find a new web browser.
  6. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    You really shouldn't use Edge as a browser... Get something like Firefox, Opera, etc.
    Edge is a unfinished browser at best.

As for your question to "fix" the forum. Problem is that we cannot easily "move" to latest versions due the load of plugins we use on the forums, of which some may break and cause us issues we cannot afford to have. Hence we keep behind and only update when we really have to and have to test that before we do so. All the hidden content must stay hidden etc. Examples are the forms for reports and appeals, macro's for replying on those, steam login, donations plugin, etc etc etc. Its quite a long list and its not easy to keep everything updated with latest version that "fixed" the latest display issue in a browser. So we rather choose when we do so and do a bigger move when really needed.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  7. Sebastian Nielsen

Steam:
    What about temporarly closing the SteamRep forum while upgrading? Eg "SteamRep forums is temporarly closed for upgrading the forum software.". Thus you could safely apply upgrades for the plugins one by one, and if some content temporarly becomes "unhidden", it does not matter since the site is closed anyways. And when everything is verified to be alright and everything that should be hidden is hidden (which could be verified by random picking items that should be hidden)

Yes, I agree that its pretty unneccessary to pick the minor updates and going through everything to update it including every plugin.
    But I think atleast it should be upgraded with a specific maximum interval, like 1 year atleast. This could even be a planned SteamRep event, like "Every year the Week XX SteamRep site & forum will be closed for software upgrades and maintenace.", and even a countdown to the maintenace so people are prepared. If theres a 1 week maintenace period, theres plenty of time to verify every plugin is working all right before the site is made public.
    Looked at the footer and this seems to be a version from 2014, pretty quite old If I would say my opinion.
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    we updated it the last time in 2014 I think, for it was needed back then for something. When issues or changes require it, we will update it again. It won't be a planned time outside of knowing it a few weeks/days ahead for required changes and then go through it.
  9. Sebastian Nielsen

Steam:
    This might be a explanation, because in 2014 Edge didn't even exist, since W10 was released in the end of 2014. With planned time, I meant that making it a official SteamRep date, so a update will always be done once a year regardless of its "important"/"required" or not, to keep it fresh and keep it compatible with browsers. This to also allow for upgrading of for example server operating system and such.
  10. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    SR works fine, Edge is the problem. Perhaps you could send bug reports in to MS about it seeing as how the errors are with it. Firefox works flawless for me on just about every site I go to (many).
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Yeap. Microsoft should revise their Browser Engine to make it actually work ... like you know ... following STANDARDS....

oh, wait... "Microsoft" and "standards" in 1 sentence... contradiction.... RUN! while you still can.... it will blow up.....
    Roudydogg1 likes this.