1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Steamrep Question

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Avenging Flame, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Avenging Flame

Avenging Flame New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:39181411
    Hello I had a question about a scammer and how things would work. I frequent the Gamefaqs TF2 board and we are doing a Secret Santa over on the board. Unfortunately, one of our active posters is a marked scammer. He scammed an unusual off a guy. I won't make any excuses for what he has done, but it was over a year ago I believe and he hasn't done anything since. I write, because he would like to participate in our secret santa, but we are worried what his status on steam rep would do to whoever he sends a gift to. You can see the details of the event here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/437678-team-fortress-2/68047817 but basically, he would be buying a gift for his person, gifting it over to the storage account, where his gift would then later be gifted to his person. He would also be receiving a gift. Would this be allowed without his being marked as a scammer affecting anyone else?
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    We highly recommend you don't encourage marked scammers to be a part of such events. It's not the end of the world, but it's not something we could encourage/endorse. It could come up in an investigation the item was scammed and/or that the receiver would worry about the item because it had been through a scammer's ownership.

While it's quite unlikely that anyone's reputation would get hurt, especially if the item is low value, it's just better not to encourage Steam trade with known thieves.

Even Santa has gifting rules for those who were naughty vs nice!