1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion for SR profile.

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by TommY, Mar 25, 2013.

1. TommY

TommY Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:5043065
    How about adding a link at the quick navigation tab
    "Report this user"
    which redirects you to like
    http://forums.steamrep.com/forums/report/create-thread?target=76561198066666666 <- This link is bogus.

So that one can make a report against that user right away.

If you click on that link, it opens the SR report a scam forum and automatically fills in the needed info

It will make it a lot easier and save some effort for those who are reporting.
  2. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Love the idea, but I feel this way there will be a lot more unneeded and spiteful reports. if you can one click report a user by searching them on steamREP, people who are butthurt will just post reports.

Having to write up reports cuts down the unneeded fake reports, simply because people are too lazy to write a pointless report.

At least this is how I feel.
  3. TommY

TommY Retired Staff

Steam:
    On the other hand, some people just can't file a post simple because he/she doesn't know how to or find it so boring to make one. This function will make it easier for them. User-friendly function.
    Plus, if anyone makes stupid reports, admins can warn/ban him so no worries there.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    This is an old suggestion we have in our queue. This is on the list to do something like this eventually.

One problem is that it makes it more confusing to report scammers when more than 1 account is involved (e.g. middleman impersonation). But that's probably not too big a deal.

We're overwhelmed as it is--- and you want more reports to be filed? :)
  5. TommY

TommY Retired Staff

Steam:
    You are joking right?(i have hard time telling what's joke or not)
    Yes. Even though SR is overburdened, it doesn't necessarily mean reports should me discouraged.
    the more valid posts are made, the better while it may be hard for admins and mods.
    I'm sure there are a lot of scammers out there still unreported because the victim finds it so hard or bothering to report.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Yes, it's a joke, of course. :)
  7. TommY

TommY Retired Staff

Steam:
    Nice!
  8. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    I suppose you could force an initial template when filing a report, certainly this might stop a lot of the invalid format posts. Human nature for people to be in a hurry to post and to miss how to post info (perhaps due to poor language skills too).
  9. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    I also thought about this to avoid wrong reports... Even if it's clearly explained how to report and in different languages; No excuse then.
  10. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Would SR like me to write up a little web script that would be an online form that would autoformat a report correctly? It really isn't that hard and it can be as elaborate as you want. Just message me privately and I can write up a little web applet that will allow people to enter all the appropriate info into fields and those fields will generate them a pre-made report that they can copy paste into the report section and modify as needed for custom reports. It will help eliminate the entire process and give a user friendly interface to work off of. I can make it as an interactive pdf, as an applet, whatever you guys prefer. I wouldnt mind tackling the job.
  11. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    Mattie would do it all himself in the end anyway. He likes it that way. Makes sense since he's a freeking genius
  12. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    It wouldn't be super useful for us unless it was in pure JS or maybe narrowly-focused PHP. I've arranged this kind of thing on other sites I've worked on, and it's not hard, it's just a matter of not being as high priority as other changes.

We've also been evaluating adding XenForo plugins for improved form support, but our moderators (and community volunteer helpers) do a great job of getting people to format things properly. The hardest problem for any form like this is that people underestimate the number of reports we get that don't fit a rigid format. For example, reporting alts, multiple accounts at once for a joint scam, etc. An open forum allows for a lot of flexibility, and I'd hate to go the opposite direction where we constrain reports so tightly that we end up working around the limitations or frustrating people more.

No genius here. And I'm all for having more help, reusing code, etc. Hence why we use XenForo and so many plugins in the first place. :) Ultimately we just have to be careful what we inherit because we have to maintain it, adapt it, support it, etc.
  13. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    You're still a genius and I still love you!
  14. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    If there is somewhere you want me to work off of let me know. I can do most of the leg work and give you the files. Although my primary is art based marketing and design I am also very fluent in web languages and standards so I am open to work with anything. Just trying to help around here were I can :p
  15. TommY

TommY Retired Staff

Steam:
    HelenAngel gets jealous about this.
  16. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    she knows I love her more :)
  17. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Oh so all those sweet nothings you whispered in my ear were a lie Chaos! You hussy you!