1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Suggestion: Introduction of a Reward System

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by [Ultimate] Zion, Mar 20, 2012.

1. [Ultimate] Zion

[Ultimate] Zion New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:23339983
    We all agree that we all want to improve the safety of trading. We all agree that we want to put a stop to scamming related activities. We all agree that we want a safer community where we can trade freely without scammers.

All this would not be possible if not for the community admins who are constantly monitoring trade servers and trade history every time. AND in order to improve the trading community and make it a safer and risk free trading environment, reports on scamming activities are essential to achieve the desired goals.

Hence i would like to suggest to introduce a reward system to encourage the community to report scammers/impersonators.

This Reward system have three main objectives:
    1. to attract people to support the mission and goals of the organisation (SteamREP)
    2. to encourage, and to maintain commitment to encourage the community to report scammers/impersonators
    3. To reduce any form of scamming/impersonation activities

How does this reward system work?

Very simple. It is based on the reputation points system. For every report which has been fully investigated and successfully accepted, a +rep will be given by any official SR admin. I believe strong communication and evidence between the admins and the person who file the report would be needed, to ensure the report is 100% true and genuine. In addition, a ranking system can be introduced as well to show recognition by acknowledging a person's work/efforts for reporting scammers. Maybe for example, ten legit, 100% genuine reports can obtain a recognition tag/medal and twenty can obtain a higher rank and goes on..etc. This can be SteamREP way of appreciation and expression of gratitude to someone who has done a good job in keeping the scammers at bay.

On the other hand. there will be possibilities of false reports being filed. There are various countermeasures to reduce the amount of false reports, for example, -rep could be given to the person who filed the report if the report, after investigations, was found to be false and ingenuine . This is depending on the final decision of the SR admin.

What is the purpose of this reward system?

A reward system is intended to attract and retain people committed to the cause. Rewards induce learning, approach behavior and feelings of positive emotions.

Rewards are also intended to maintain and improve performance. Nobody can truly motivate: motivation can only come from within. But the promise of adding reputation to every report which is successfully accepted is intended to encourage people to motivate themselves to do what is right and ensure that a safer, low risk trading environment.

Please comment if you have suggestions or thoughts about it :)

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Zion
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I can see where this would be useful...however I can certainly see where it would give people that "Vigilante" mentality of going around and either hunting people down or entrapment of sorts. It will turn into some game against each other or a easy path to +rep for just turning someone in when the whole purpose of the system is getting over looked in the process.

Motivation? Yeah for sure but what you would have is the same few that are already here turning it into some race.
    So my thoughts? Don't like it.... won't have no part in it.
  3. [Ultimate] Zion

[Ultimate] Zion New User

Steam:
    I believe everyone plays a role, especially considering the amount of impersonators out there.

I have to agree to a certain extend that it might turn into some game against each other, i also understand where your coming from. Probably because of the recent incident that happened to the tf2op feedback system. However this system is solely based on admins giving out the rep, not based on people giving each other rep, as the main purpose is purely to encourage, and to maintain commitment for the community to report scammers/impersonators.

Thanks for the feedback :) appreciate it
  4. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    When it is also left on the SR Admins to give rep or anyone else for that matter as everyone is Human you still run into the issue of impartiality. Such a system would have to be coded/automatic and again then you run into the race to the most +rep issue - Do you really want to open up this can of worms?

If it's not broken then don't fix it. System works as it is for the most part.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    the big downsides to me:
    - scammers who report their fellow scammers which they daily work with to gain +rep on their clean alt etc.
    - promotion of vigilantes, people going after scammers to gain "proof" where they just are muddying the water in reality.
    - SR admins know to take certain actions to procure proof in what stage, the most common trader just has no idea in this. We request some that they can provide, but other proof is never asked of them for they cannot give it or understand where to get such.
    - with multiple people going after 1 scammer, who is given it?

There are groups out there that are giving info to new traders, and try to educate new traders around to prevent scammers. I see way more in that, working with positive stuff and getting known around there and gaining trust by helping people. Those are doing the real work in fighting scammers, and I would love to see more people helping out on that front.
  6. [Ultimate] Zion

[Ultimate] Zion New User

Steam:
    Interesting information , thks for the constructive feedback guys

It is true, but we always have issues of impartiality in every system. I think this rep system might not be the best suggestion. Another different suggestion is to maybe add a recognition tag next to their name in the forums for their efforts against scammers?

- scammers will not be given any form of appraisal even if they report their fellow scammers even if they report using their clean alt acc ( if found out that its linked to a scammer) - this can further expose the scammer, and reports to steam can be sent for further severe punishment (e.g IP ban etc)

- Instead of rep system, how abt a recognition tag ?( next to their name in the forums to appreciate their efforts against scammers/impersonators and to show a good example to the community ?)

Thanks for pointing out the groups that are giving info to new traders, i'm admired by their efforts and the amount of time they spend on educating new traders. Its good to work with new traders and gain their trust . To meet the growing demands of the tf2 community as more people unboxed new unusuals, and more scammers out there ( mainly because of the tf2 trader unusual search engine), i too believe there should be more people helping out in these groups. However, these groups require a lot of manpower and its very time consuming.

Best rgds,
    Zion
  7. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26049181
    can i have my $500 payment upfront

don't like it
  8. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    Well if this 'rep' was there but was listed as being 'vigilante' rep or something and not as actual rep. People would know that the person knows how to deal with scammers, as for the scammer's reporting other scammers that would be good, provided that this reputation shows only as reporting scammers and stuff and not paypal/ etc.

As to multiple people who would get the credit should be the person who posts the thread as the other people are support evidence and stuff.

But yeah it would have a lot of people trying to find the scammers to get the credit, and people would be trying to get scammed for the reputation or even falsely reporting people if they think they could get to it. Which leads to the point of which people could get enough credit to start a vendetta spree against people.

As to the vigilantes on the rise it makes a lot of sense, one time I was randomly added and offered a houwar for such and such. I ofund out that it was just a renamed item (before I started trading). Normally I would've just at that point, but due to the need to report as a scammer I had to get proof and 'play along'

Its got some good foundations/ merits but needs more work before it might be implemented