1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

The Tux Scam

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Sickest, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

well, seems you got out of touch...
  2. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:11020111
    yeah I'm now out of comp...Sadly because i have too much ping, FFS, but now i'm living in a great place :) (Reunion Island)
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

wtf man, middle of nowhere, you growing gills to swim back to the mainland?
  4. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    I'll be back on mainland when i'll leave this beautiful place, no need to precise that I'm not tempted atm XD
  5. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Well if a catorca can make it, a jazz baby can blow enough in its wake to make it across :)
  6. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    Sorry, I thought you wrote jizz baby.
  7. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    I would never speak of my dear friend Pretender like that and you know it :)
  8. StaticHS

StaticHS New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:57000632
    Mr. Man from bazaar.tf is hosting a tux service. He's not a scammer. He's very trustworthy and does it for free :D
    He is a supervisor on bazaar.
  9. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    It's really not hard to do it yourself. I wouldn't trust anyone with my account and while its under another persons control, I believe it should be tagged on sr for everyone else's safety. Don't care who it is, I trust nobody with my account details.
  10. StaticHS

StaticHS New User

Steam:
    Yea, I was a bit nigelint at first. He asks to change it to a temporary password so yea.
    Steam support will probably refund you from scammers but it may take a while.
  11. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    Well not if you gave your info to someone as they say numerous times on steam to NOT do that.
  12. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    Yeah it's quite easy to do though. Even if it's easy there are still lazy ass asking me to do it for them, but I dont do unless it's a friend :D.
    Do you think that Tux will be more than buds, cause atm there are like 18000 tux and 58000 buds, and some buds are duped.
    Tux is more rare atm cant wait to see after 1st march if it will be tradable and if the price will be more than buds, that I highly doubt, that's not logical if tux will be lower in price while more rare.
  13. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    Hoping support will reverse a trade is an awful reason to trust someone. Are you crazy? First of all, they most likely WON'T reverse the trade or help you in any way. Secondly, it violates the tos in so many ways.

You're a good, honest guy with a lot of reputation to lose. I'm surprised you're even offering to help friends. As for value fluctuations, I wouldn't like to speculate
  14. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

I did also do it for (IRL) friends, but then again, I had access to their accounts all along, lol. (they don't use their accounts anymore)
  15. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    I did it for two people only.

I explained risks to both, and urged them not to, but they were adamant.

The only reason I did in the in the end, were both people traded me almost their entire BP, and once their friend had logged into Linux and got their Tux, they confirmed they has changed pass + remove email in Steam etc before I returned their items. I was worried that if I did not help, they would take extreme risks and almost certainly get scammed.

I had another friend the next day who wanted me to MM items in this way while another person got them Tux, however after having mused on the issue further, I decided that my desire to help people remain safe from a potential danger, did not outweigh the fact that I felt I was aiding and abetting a breach of TOS and to an extent wasting my time over a triviality, so I refused to aid in this way any more.
  16. Oz' dak1ne

Oz' dak1ne New User

Steam:
    No risk as i'm doing this for close friends. and clan mates that I know really well.
    As i'm also doing reselling service for friends or community (tf2connexion, french league :D ) .
    I have nothing to lose as there are no risks imo and people who i did this for them changed the password indeed before I get into the account, steam guard was still up, so how could i change the mail etc without access to his/her mail :)
  17. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

that statement is incorrect.
  18. StaticHS

StaticHS New User

Steam:
    Stop speculating :p
    It wouldn't be worth more than a bud. It was a rushed item.
  19. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    Yeah, similar to dak1ne, I was doing these for friends, though I was doing it for free, not as a service. I figured might as well serve the greater good and save people the 4 hr hassle of installing a vm/ubuntu. I definitely wouldn't want to do it for a random stranger because of the risks inherent if something goes wrong. I'm pretty trusted, so most people didn't have issues with giving me their login info, but in general don't give your username/password to people.

Do as I say, not as I do!
  20. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    Just to add as well, it's always something every service provider stresses not to give out your username and password, though as a computer technician it's something I've done frequently for customers. I've never heard of someone getting in trouble because of a tech accessing their account as an authorized access thing. Of course, online it's a lot harder to prove who you are and what your intentions are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.