1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

This place is a joke

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by a tasty serving of, Mar 29, 2016.

1. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    I don't know how many times now I've submitted reports just to have them be absolutely buried. I got one in 2014 ignored and two others many months old. Last time I had to post on here just to have previously ignored reports reviewed.

I already know your swapped. I know you made big changes recently and hired even more moderators. Yet this place is just not up to keeping its role up as enforcer. Honestly I don't think it's worth the effort to report the scammers anymore, not for me at least. I have to put up with the shanagins even longer, have to screenshoot it, login in here, upload picture, describe the incident etc just for really nothing.

I love the concept of this place and it's why I had previously donated but really I think I'm done. Heck at one point I thought about being a moderator here but then again places like this its about knowing other moderators and admins in the first place. I really dont care if you handle the reports or not anymore. From now on I'm sticking to reporting violation on the steam profiles and being done with it. I thank you for the time you guys have put into developing the site, discouraging some scammers, banning others and trying to make the steam community a better place. It's really unfortunate that there is more reports and appeals than there is moderators to handle it. Good luck....you'll need it
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    I think you misunderstand. We won't handle every report-- that's not something we say we'll do, nor do we have anywhere near the bandwidth to do so (probably no community/nonprofit could do that). We prioritize reports based on a number of factors and investigate the ones that are most impactful (e.g. lots of continued reports) and dangerous to the community.

Your reports do help people who run into the traders you report-- they see a link to your unconfirmed report so they can review your evidence and make a call for themselves. This isn't "nothing"-- it's about giving the community the ability to share information that is useful for protecting one another. An admin doesn't always have to hold a trader's hand to help them avoid being scammed-- you can help others by reporting scammers you run into and let future traders at least judge for themselves.

Sorry that you expected us to handle every report-- it says right on the scam report form that we cannot do so.
  3. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    That's not our role. We aren't here to punish anyone or enforce arbitrary rules by scaring people. We're not here for retribution, or to make examples out of deviants. We're here to warn the community of someone who is not safe to trade with.
    I'm sorry if that was unclear when you put in the effort of making those reports, or when you donated. Their purpose is to warn others of scammers, not to help avenge you or force scammers to return your items (which we couldn't do anyway). We state on the report form that we will not get to every report. Your reports, even if we don't get to them, serve as an early warning for anyone else looking at the scammer's profile that other members of the community have reported them for fraud.
    Those "shanagins" as you call them are what prevent innocent people from getting reported. There are scammers out there who coerce or retaliate against victims by brigading fake reports sometimes with doctored evidence from multiple accounts to wreak havoc on innocent traders' reputation. I know it seems excessive, and you may think a cropped, one-sided trade history is enough, but if we accepted that kind of evidence then a lot of innocent people would get marked, not only affecting our own credibility but causing innocent traders to suffer and furthering the agenda of scammers. Those evidence standards are for your protection.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  4. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    Just a few things. We don't enforce, we educate. Key difference!

When applying as a mod, it's highly recommended that you come with vouches or experience from a partner community.
    It's not like a fraternity/sorority of sorts, more of a screening process that relies on assessments made by those who have already been cleared.
    That said, people have applied without vouches.

Reports are prioritized and we are realistic about the volume we can handle. I'm sorry that you don't see it that way. :(
    Mattie! likes this.
  5. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Can I suggest reporting to a partner community? They have the ability to apply their own tags here on SteamRep (which warn users all the same as an SR tag does in the majority of instances), they also receive much a much smaller report load hence most reports get processed pretty quick.
  6. Kethus

Kethus New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:48702110
    @Enstage I just saw a topic in the website that you are an admin of (after making a report of my own there) that partner communities can actually no longer tag people on steamrep.
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Eh? They can, but you probably didn't read it fully. I suspect you read a post about that they no longer could mark accounts for "trading with scammer" reports. We (SteamRep) have enforced that change with the new year, for a variety of reasons. That doesn't mean other types of reports cannot be marked for by partners.

Understanding what you read is a BIG part of knowing.
    Enstage likes this.
  8. Kethus

Kethus New User

Steam:
    @SilentReaper(SR) Mine is exactly that, so I guess I should stick to steamrep and just hope it doesn't get buried. I don't see any rule against bumping though, are we allowed to do them?
  9. Enstage

Steam:
    Bumping -- no its not allowed here afaik. Even if it is, it certainly doesn't speed up the report at all.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
  11. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Still won't get accepted if it's trading with scammers. Stick with actual scam reports, where someone poses an actual danger to the community.

That rule, which was meant to curb brokering/fencing, got abused by a bunch of people with vendettas against particular traders, and it really doesn't make someone unsafe to trade with. Hence, the rule was retroactively repealed, and nobody is tagging for it, including SteamRep.
  12. Kethus

Kethus New User

Steam:
    I didn't understand the policy a first. I thought it was about scam reports.
  13. Enstage

Steam:
    I explained it to him in a PC, don't worry.
  14. Ansonia - Selling GTA V

Ansonia - Selling GTA V New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:112934707
    I'm sure everyone else in this thread has gone out of their way to explain how this site works, it's purpose, and the possibility of directing your report(s) to a partner community for a more timely reviewing process. However, I'd like to just pinch in my two cents.

As a user, the way I view steamrep is essentially a hub for reports and scammer tags alike. And I will say I like how Lava corrected you on your choice of words by portraying Steamrep as an enforcer, or upholder of law (kind of sounds communist-esque). However, I'd like to think that you simply were trying to express a different point, and didn't mean for it to be interpreted like that, or at least how Lava did.

Steamrep has, and will proceed to directly impact trading and sites that have implemented its API, that's a fact. However, needless to say this is a volunteer community, and from what I've gathered the site and it's staff team aren't particularly getting anything out of grinding away at reports, they don't get a salary or a nice check at the end of the week to cash in at the bank and spend on cheetos (or fritos, if that's your jam). You have to understand that to people who have literally spent hours and hours reviewing and responding to reports, as well as having to filter out reports that are nonsensical or lack evidence or comprehensiveness without getting frustrated will take offence to having their community called a joke. And while you do make a valid point, I will note that I've noticed a massive improvement in activity, at least in regards to reports getting marked for review and responded to in the past six or so months. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, or if it's all in my head, but it does seem like there's been a much larger driving force behind steamrep recently.

You've stated that you made reports, one of which dates back to 2014, and even claim that it's been "buried" among some other more recent reports you've filed. So surely, that being said you must understand the bulk amount of reports that go through this site daily, right?

More to the point, I don't think the staff can afford to be clumsy and rush through dozens of reports a day, that would kind of defeat the purpose of hosting a community that accurately tracks and marks scammers, right? That's just my two cents at least. What I find so astounding is how I've never seen an administrator, in all the reports I've lurked, ever bash on someone. I've seen joking attitudes, and mild mockery, but it seems that each and every staff member makes an effort to maintain a professional standing, and when you go out of your way to brashly make assumptions (ironically like I have here in this post), it's beyond me how they persevere to maintain it.

But hey, maybe your post will get some of those reports some more attention! Best of luck regardless :p
  15. Inu

Inu TF2Bazaar Owner Retired Staff Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:62120987
    People who lash out in rage at innocent others are usually one-trick ponies. The best way to beat them is to take away that one trick by simply showing them that it has no effect. It is much more beneficial to both parties if at least one remains calm and collected. Not only does it increase the chance of the significant other to regain senses and continue to converse in a more sophisticated manner, it also shows of a sense of maturity.

I also entirely agree on your view of the bulk of reports flooding in. Just glancing at them makes it obvious that so much time is lost sorting out bogus/low priority/missing evidence reports, that it actually hurts the timers on actual, quality reports. If you sort them carefully and deal with the best reports first, people complain. If you do not sort them at all, only deal with the best reports but in a much faster manner, people will complain as well. This issue can only be cracked with more quality staff, which is a double edged blade.

One one side you have the public imagery. Whomever you recruit has to be an experienced trader or administrator related to trading. Essentially traders will view every one wearing any kind of SteamRep staff badge as some super-controlling being and see the mercy of their trading "career" at the hands of the one, and it certainly is a lot more comforting knowing that said person is an experienced trader and/or administrator. While I do disagree with viewing SteamRep as some sort of trading-supercommander that can end careers at one click, it certainly has the power to do so, which brings us to point two.

The potential staff must be extremely trustworthy. I've already addressed trust with the public, but trust with the staff must be present as well. Even a moderator can do major damage to the system by wrongly processing reports, which ruins it for the admins that have to resolve them.

These two points make it extremely difficult to find capable staff, hence the issue will still persist of a long time if not forever. These are just my 2 cents though and not speaking officially for anything. I think that SteamRep is a great cause that deserves all the love and support they need, despite sometimes appearing to be a little slow to people who do not realize the amount of workload they get.
    Edward. likes this.