1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trade back clauses, what is SRs policy on trade back clauses?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by bferret, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferret

bferret New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19157497
    So, I traded in game for a hat, and the person was very nice and had fine rep. They said they'd do a trade back with me if I wanted to within 48 hours. I came to them within 12 hours and they said they "don't remember" and "their friend said I was a dick." I know this isn't scamming at all, and I know mostly my fault. The trade wasn't horrible really but after sleeping on it, I felt I didn't really like the hat. So, is there anything steam rep does in this case? Should I even bother sending in a report to maybe give them a caution? As I said, it isn't really scamming, just fishy and honestly bad behavior.

Thanks for your time. c:

Screenshots:
    http://i.imgur.com/1DXTu.jpg
    http://imgur.com/a/3rFaf
  2. bferret

bferret New User

Steam:
    Alright, makes sense. Just checking. I have already un-knowingly traded with a scammer in the past and was hoping this wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass for not reporting it, etc.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    its called buyers remorse, and can't be helped. Whatever you trade, just make sure its what you want.
  4. Handicaped Panda

Handicaped Panda New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:24559518
    And also, if they do make a policy like that, Id make sure to get a print screen of it, Because if they do try and pull a move like that on you, you can whip out the dialogue, and make them "Remember"
  5. Miracle

Miracle New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43009688
    First of all, sorry what I said came out wrongly. Secondly, you should have thought through your trade. You obviously were trying to flip it for profit (like all of us), but if you looked on say, tf2op, many stormy tyrants were struggling to sell for 7 buds. And third of all, I don't think I've ever seen someone trade back when asked. What would we do, report every tf2 trader that isn't a saint?
  6. bferret

bferret New User

Steam:
    If I intended to report you for this, I would have sent it to the report forum right away. As I said, I've already traded with a scammer unknowingly, and I didn't want this to happen to someone else, not saying you'd do it again or whatever, and they report you, you get marked and then I get a caution for trading with 2 marked people within a short period of time. If there WAS a policy against this, I would have reported you.
    If I bought the hat intending to flip for profit, I wouldn't have offered what I valued the hat at (~10 when buds were not poop) and I wanted to trade back because I didn't really like the Storm on it and would have preferred to offer on another Tyrant's, but as you could probably tell, I've already gotten a nice Scorching Snaggletooth for it, so no harm done.
    I've always intended to trade back with people when they ask, but so far none have. I just don't see the point in saying you would do something then not doing it, why not just say "i'd rather not?" Lying to just make a sale is kind a shitty on your end.
  7. Miracle

Miracle New User

Steam:
    Prices are irrelevant as of now. People who ask for a refund aren't confident in their abilities to sell a hat, and if you weren't sure, why did you make the trade? YOU offered on my hat and decided you could do a good job of selling it for profit (you started selling it for more right after you got it). When you found out it benefited me more then you, you asked for me to lose the small bit of joy I got from getting 2 new hats I could sell more reliably then the tyrant.
  8. bferret

bferret New User

Steam:
    Amazingly, people can change their minds on whether they like some thing or not, I wasn't sure which is why I asked if you would be willing to do a trade back. You obviously knew I wasn't sure if I wanted it or not, but I offered to see if it was a realistic goal for me to achieve.Of course I'm going to keep myself open to offers on a hat, and keep my buyout high because I'll never get the buyout, which was still LOWER than the combined price of what I had set on what I gave you, so clearly flipping wasn't my goal. I didn't find out I'd have a harder time selling the Tyrant's (which honestly I didn't because I had about the same amount in offers.) Regardless of which, that is irrelevant to my point.

You are attempting to play the victim here and are making a bigger deal out of nothing, as well. I didn't try to "rob you of joy" and I certainly wasn't attempting to get you marked or banned, but just making sure that I wasn't obligated to, even if my original wording was kind of bad. I don't know why you feel the need to pursue a nonexistent issue. Even though your trade ethics, for lack of a better term, are kinda sketchy to me (lying about your friend saying i'm a dick, lying about saying you'll trade back to guarantee a sale, etc) you clearly aren't in any trouble and clearly I am not intending to pursue the issue as I haven't touched the thread in a few days after I received my answer AND sold the Tyrant's Helmet.
  9. Miracle

Miracle New User

Steam:
    Ah, I see the situation isn't as severe as I thought from reading. Also, not playing the victim. It's called stating facts.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Locking thread, this is not the place to keep the argument.

Stance of SR:
    If the trade is what is agreed to, we won't require parties to un-do the trade.

There have been cases that we put it as one of the choices for a party (trade agreement not met, due a bug in steam trade different color painted hat was traded, the choice was for that case to either replace it with the correct painted, pay for the difference or undo the trade).

Undoing trades after a trade when the trade agreement was met, is entirely voluntary, no matter a agreement on such, for items can be traded again.

For a next time, make sure you traded for what you wanted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.