1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trading with scammer

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by THANK YOU BASED GOD, May 7, 2012.

1. THANK YOU BASED GOD

THANK YOU BASED GOD New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32613186
    Hi guys. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm just curious if you can be marked for trading with a marked scammer.

My situation more specifically is as follows: I have a friend who was listed as a scammer over a dispute for 3-4 refined. Literally 3-4 refined. He was marked, and as a result realized that he's not really going to be able to successfull trade for a while. He offered to let me use his keys etc. to trade up while he is unable to trade and I would just reimburse him for what he lent me if and when he comes back.

I thought this was very nice and generous of him, and I have always known him as a good person regardless of his tag. Anyways, I just want to know if I will be jeapordizing my account by accepting this loan with him.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    you have:

steamID: Ratta
    steamID32: STEAM_0:1:42366996
    steamID64: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044999721
    customURL:
    steamrepURL: http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561198044999721

in your friends list, who was listed for claiming that some strange parts where added to a item while they where not.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198044999721-ratta.3885/

I see no dispute over 3-4 refined in there. unless its about worth of that strange part. He should have been honest on it.

As for your risk, what exactly did you get from him?
  3. THANK YOU BASED GOD

Steam:
    Yes I was referring that. I would consider that to be a dispute over a few refined, considering projectiles reflected is only worth a key :p.

Anyways, yeah I really don't know any details about that trade other than what was posted but I really can't see him doing something like that.

That's beside the point though. I received nothing from him yet as I wanted to check before I potentially put my account in danger.
    He offered to let me borrow keys in the teens. I think the number was 17, but I honestly don't remember.
    EDIT: I believe it would also include a bills, v luger, and several hats.
  4. THANK YOU BASED GOD

Steam:
    bump, would just like to get a definitive answer on this
  5. homeyhomedawg

homeyhomedawg New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41864988
    i got marked a scammer for buying an unusual from a guy in tf2trader server. jailbait adds me today a week after i bought it, tells me he was a scammer, and marks me a scammer. so yes you obviously a scammer
  6. dragonhuman

dragonhuman New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25985902
    Buyin items on behalf of a scammer using his items would probably be along the lines of something to be marked as a scammer. But I suppose it would be up to the SR admins for whether that's be a caution/ scammer tag. On a side note I believe one guy was tagged for knowingly middlemaning for scammers.

As to homeyhomedog I did not see any report a scammer threads, however I do not have any knowledge on whether these acclaimed trades with scammers took place.

I do however know that a lot of the tf2outpost mods/ admins are real jerks and in some cases even break there own tf2outpost trades and can get ban happy way too easy. They have no thread to link to for the reason why the banned you from outpost (the posts link directly to tf2outpost)

However I would advise to chill a little (<- is empathetic) and file an appeal and stuff if you believe these charges to be false.
  7. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    Homeyhomedawg, you were told repeatedly by several different admins to stop supporting scammers by trading with them. When you were marked before for the same thing, appealed, and got your mark reduced to a caution you were told AGAIN. You told Jailbait in chat that you don't even bother checking except maybe once a week when you remove the scammers from your friends list. This wasn't one trade or one isolated incident- this is a long history of you supporting scammers by purchasing from them.

I have talked to many traders who made mistakes like that and given them warnings when they were reported for trading with marked scammers. You know what they did? They STOPPED. They weren't even marked with a caution and yet they respected the reasoning behind it enough to check SteamRep before they traded and stopped trading with marked scammers.

So don't try to make this out to look like we are the ones who have no leniency and just go around marking people for random trade server trades. We give people PLENTY, PLENTY of chances to stop trading with marked scammers. The ones like you, who don't care and continue to do it anyway, are the ones who eventually get marked.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  8. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    @ Homeyhomedawg: Helen answered in fully what you've done, don't try again to "negate" your own doings, or face a ban from this forum. Lying about things doesn't make things right.

SR doesn't care about small trades happening. But we do care if one goes with their worth's backpack and trade with it. For that is just laundering.

For normal trading we hand a certain worth as a minimum for being a offense, which is a Buds or more in worth and/or any unusual, or money trades. This to prevent that we go marking about for peanut honest item vs item trades where nobody would check SR for.
  9. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I agree with this. I have a mark for trading with a scammer. Deserved. It's a caution tag. I also do full bp buyouts. When I trade for small items (1 hat here, 5-10 keys for metal there) I dont check the people's rep but when I do full BP buyouts I ALWAYS check to make sure I am not laundering someone's items who are trying a quick getaway. I have turned down more then once people trying to cash out and told them flat out that no backpack buyer would buy their scammed items and added them to block list. I think this should be mandatory for ALL us backpack buyers. Negligence is not an excuse for laundering items. Only once I traded a full backpack with a scammer but he was tagged AFTER I traded with him so I could not have known he was a scammer. He sold me a pack worth $30 or so and then he sold his unusual to someone else and left the account empty. I was tempted to reverse the charge but last time I did a vigilante action I got tagged as I am now. Days later, someone contacted me saying the unusual was stolen (i didn't buy that unusual as i don't buy unusuals in my backpack buying) and they had reported him as a scammer. The report was approved. In situations like that I know there is nothing we can do to stop laundering stolen items. All we can hope is that people file reports RIGHT AWAY and that the admins here update a tag as soon as possible on the person. I try to report scammers within the 10 mins of the act of the crime to make sure that no on else gets affected. Most scammers try to commit multiple offenses at once, not just one.

It's a never ending battle.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    indeed, a never ending battle, and fast reporting should now end up in a fast tag with all the help we have nowadays. Admins have a easy link with other admins to talk, so if some happens, you can gain extra attention and a warning about to a SR admin pretty fast if really needed.
  11. Dronefly

Steam:
    i am waiting now 2 hours for my chargeback report to go through and get the guy tagged. its a clean cut case of chargeback.
  12. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26049181
    chargeback cases are NEVER clean cut.

also consider the time you posted that thread - 7 AM PST and 10 AM EST on a weekday. how likely is it that an admin saw your report during work or between coffees before work and decided to investigate it thoroughly?
    it's nice that you made the report and it will be investigated in time.
    the thing with chargebacks though is that they occur at once or not at all - that particular person won't be charging back anyone new.
  13. Dronefly

Steam:
    i cant argue that. you make a very valid point. if they did any other chargebacks they would all have been posted or done at once. not over intermittent time.