1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trading with someone who seems to be a new user, but has very nice items. Is it a bad thing?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by ๖ۣۜYs, May 31, 2015.

1. ๖ۣۜYs

๖ۣۜYs New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:47100665
    Hey Steamrep. I used to trade for fun a couple years back and even got an couple unusuals that i ended up selling. So i have an okay amount of trading knowledge, but for sure i am no expert.

I came back to TF2 this last month and I'm just buying items i like for personal use, I'm not really doing any big time trading. I think the most I've spent on an item is 4 Keys since i got back. I was interested in buying a strange weapon that is pretty pricey (for a strange). So i sold some of the stuff that i like to be able to afford it, i think it averages around 4-5 keys.

I found a pretty nice deal for the weapon i wanted, it's not below backpack.tf prices, but is on the low side. The thing is, it's also a specialized killstreak weapon with 2 Halloween spells. I'm not really sure what Halloween spells are, since they weren't around when i used to play, and I'm also new to the whole killstreak thing, but i managed to find the price of those, and the Halloween spells are a key each, the specialized killstreak is around a key too.

So i sent a trade offer, but i wasn't worried until i went back and looked at his profile. I noticed he was only level 1 (if that matters). So i checked his backpack on backpack.tf and found out he's only been on steam for a couple months. I looked in his inventory and some of his other trades, and he has quite a few nice items, though lacking variety, including an unusual, and a bunch of keys. He's hasn't played that long too. The playtime is under 200 hours.

So, i think this person is most likely an alt account of something, but isn't that a little sketchy? Is it possible it could just be a new user who knows a bit about trading? I think that's unlikely, but would like to know what you guys think. His profile is full of +reps, and since he's only been on steam for such a short while, i think he's only really been trading. I checked his steamrep too which came back fine but he has quite a small friends list and a few of his friends have sr cautions.

Should i cancel the trade that i sent? He's offline now, but i sent an offer earlier today with the exact amount he wanted. I don't want to get the item and then later on find out he's a scammer alt/hijacker or something. Even if the item isn't extremely high value.

Are there any ways that i can find out for sure if he's okay to trade with? He's donated to a few trading sites, but i don't know if that counts for much.

I didn't include the profile name or anything like that because i don't want to hurt someones rep if they are innocent. Am i just being too paranoid? Or should i be concerned?
  2. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Well we aren't going to ban someone unless there is evidence of being an alt/wrongdoings by our rules, so there isn't much point in "hiding" the account. We can't really tell you much unless we know who he is, but if the account & the items don't match, and you think something is fishy, it probably is; if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is; if you think someone isn't good to trade with, they probably aren't and you probably shouldn't.

And again, we wouldn't be able to tell unless we knew who he is. As for methods to see if they are "okay" to trade with, you can use the research tools on his Steamrep profile.

SRResearchTools.png
  3. ๖ۣۜYs

๖ۣۜYs New User

Steam:
    Thank you for the reply. I see your point and have canceled my trade offer.

I guess your right, if he hasn't done anything wrong there isn't much of a reason to not post the profile. The person in question is https://steamrep.com/?id=76561198225584964

I don't want to make a trade with someone who could possibly be a scammer, but again, i could just be over paranoid about this. So I'd appreciate any further advice you guys have to offer once you have seen the profile.

Also, thanks for letting me know about the research tools. I'll make sure to use them in my future trades.
    a Gentleman likes this.
  4. ๖ۣۜYs

๖ۣۜYs New User

Steam:
    UPDATE*

I ended up trading with someone else more trusted. I payed quite a lot more, but it's worth it to not trade with a potential scammer.
    Roudydogg1 and Clive like this.