1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Trying to trade with someone

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by MC Brony, Dec 31, 2014.

1. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:43870587
    So yesterday I added a guy who wanted to trade his knife for a rare background so i added him.
    I got the background and wanted to send him a trade offer but it says he is on a trade ban even though on steam rep it does not show he has a trade ban.
    My question was if this is a possible bug in the system or the steam service is slow with updating ?

Screenshot : http://prntscr.com/5myrop
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    The trade ban is from Valve not SR which is from various reports for whatever reasons. You can either wait till it expires which in some events is a few weeks or just bypass the trade.
    The ban could be for a very good reason so perhaps you should really research here to make sure you don't have any issues if you do the trade....take your time also and make sure everything checks out properly and screen shot everything for the hell of it.

Would you mind posting the users ID here?
    Tio José das Vacas likes this.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    None of his recent additions/removals have a public Valve Trade Ban... I think the account was soft-banned to get the owner to contact steam support.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Did you buy the rare background on the community market?

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    SilentReaper(SR), ForteSP and Mattie! like this.
  5. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
    yes i did why?
    (I got scammed or something didn't I?)
  6. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
    well great just saw that this had happend before oh well i guess :\
  7. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
  8. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
    guess i will keep the background for myself :D
  9. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182

He was quite clearly making fun of you for calling backgrounds rare. They can be purchased on the market for pennies and there are hundreds of them on there. If it was rare it wouldn't cost you 4 cents.
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    Corrected that for you.
    ForteSP likes this.
  11. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    @MC Brony Fill out a report with as much information as you can. This includes the SteamRep block for both the person offering a knife, as well as the person you bought the background from. To access your market history and see who you bought it from, go to https://steamcommunity.com/market in your web browser, click on the My Market History tab, and hover your mouse over their profile picture. Take a full screenshot with that browser (URL bar and all) visible. Take screenshots of any kind of agreement you had for the accused to trade the knife for that background, and link to the trade posting where this started. Upload all your screenshots as attachments for your report's evidence.
    http://forums.steamrep.com/forms/scam-report.2/respond

No, I was not making fun of anyone. These backgrounds can be very much rare, especially when brand new and bought up in entirety by one person, but as is often the case with trading cards and backgrounds/emoticons, rare does not mean valuable. I was asking if he bought that item because it's a variation of a known scam I've run into a few times, which we do apply tags for. If he answered yes I'd tell him to fill out a report.
  12. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    [quote="lava, post: 241128, member: 13884]

No, I was not making fun of anyone. These backgrounds can be very much rare, especially when brand new and bought up in entirety by one person, but as is often the case with trading cards and backgrounds/emoticons, rare does not mean valuable. I was asking if he bought that item because it's a variation of a known scam I've run into a few times, which we do apply tags for. If he answered yes I'd tell him to fill out a report.[/quote]

Oh that makes sense then. I had never heard of or even though of such a scam. But that does indeed seem to be the case here :(. http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/317610-Page 23?filter=prophour This is the rare background in his inventory and it has been inflated up to and sold at $50
  13. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    apparently I'm freaking terrible at getting this quote thing right...
  14. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    you edit the tags, which you should not do. in above case, you accidentally removed the "] at the end of the opening quote tag, and replaced it with a single end bracked ( ] ), which then meant a " was missing....
  15. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    Ah I see... Not sure if you can see deleted posts but if you can I messed up even worse the first time. it quoted it but turned the entire quote (and my text which got cut off for whatever reason) into one big hyper link directing us to the link I listed above.
  16. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    that issue is where you put the cursor behind a linked text (url) and start typing. The newly typed text becomes then the custom text for the URL. It is simple to prevent: click the unlink button in the bar above the reply while your cursor is within that text

Button I mentioned:
    [​IMG]
  17. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
    The person I bought it from is not friends with the person I that wants the background or is this just so he won't be detected as scammer but I will have to wait untill tommorow because then the guy will be online again.
    Guy who sold it : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198165260134
  18. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    @ForteSP You know you can preview your reply before posting, right? Click More Options, then click Preview. It cuts down on mistakes like that and gives you a chance to review how the BBCode parses.
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  19. MC Brony

MC Brony New User

Steam:
    I was not aware of any scam at that time so I do not have any screenshots about the agreement on the trading :(