1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

UPDATED GUIDE: How to make evidence screenshots

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by [P5Y] GhostGuy™, May 11, 2016.

1. [P5Y] GhostGuy™

[P5Y] GhostGuy™ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42158745
    So, you just got scammed? Or did someone try to scam you? Did an impersonator take your items? If you answered yes to any of these, this guide will make the scam report approval process a lot quicker and easier for you, and staff alike! If you answered no, then it's still a good practice to read through it!

This guide will be an update to the official guide which is currently pinned. Most of the information in there is fine, but no more proof enough. Therefor, the following methods will be about how to make the perfect screenshots of the scam which will always be accepted!

WHAT TO PROVIDE WHEN:
    The item is already gone
    Ouch.. Welp, good for you to report the scammer! The things for a succesful report are:
    A) A screenshot of the trade
    B) Proof/chatlog​
    He used a common scam tactic and tried to scam me
    Good on you for not falling for it! And thanks for the report! The following things are needed:
    (optional) A) A screenshot of the (failed) trade
    B) Proof/chatlog​
    Someone impersonated another user
    These are tricky. For these scams, you'll need:
    B) Proof/chatlog of the user impersonating
    C) The user's profile​

Now, let's go over the ways to make the proof!

A) A screenshot of the (failed) trade
    First of all, go to your steam profile in a webbrowser and press the inventory button.
    upload_2016-5-11_22-1-42.png
    Once there, go to trade offers
    upload_2016-5-11_22-2-10.png
    Now comes the tricky part. You'll have to go to the trade of the scam, and put your mouse over the accused's profile. If you did this correctly, you'll see the url in bottom right corner. Make sure the screenshot isn't cropped, and the timestamp is visible. The best way to do this, is to press printscreen, and then just paste it in your report (control+V).
    If you did this the correct way, it should look like this:
    upload_2016-5-11_22-0-24.png
    (Of course, you shouldn't edit the black squares on. Don't edit the screenshot at all to prevent rejection!

B) Chatlog
    In contrast to the trade offer, the chatlog needs to be made within the steam IDE itself. This means the little chat window from the steam program.
    Make sure you have timestamps enabled. To do this, go to your steam icon underneath (taskbar) and right click on it. Press settings -> Friends And then enable the 'Display timestamps in chat log' option.
    To take a screenshot, make a screenshot of the entire window with the time stamp of windows visible. Example:
    upload_2016-5-11_22-6-43.png
    It's best to leave a little room, as cropping even the slightest might get it rejected! Same as in (A), do NOT edit the screenshot!
    For a good screenshot, you can use the snipping tool, which is standard in windows.
    If the chat is longer than a single window, you need to make MULTIPLE screenshots this way where the last 2 sentences are visible in the next screenshot!

C) The user's profile
    For this one, go to your browser and go to the user's profile.
    upload_2016-5-11_22-8-45.png
    Press the little arrow next to their name, so their previous names shows up
    upload_2016-5-11_22-9-17.png
    Take a screenshot of the entire browser window, with the windows timestamp visible. Again, don't edit anything!
    ADMIN Edit: removed image due privacy.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Make extra sure that the url is visible in the adress bar, and that you haven't cropped the window!

I hope my guide has been useful. If there are any grammar issues (I'm pretty sleepy..) Please tell me so I can fix it. Also, if the guide has misinformation or missing information, I'll happily update it! Just send me a PM.

And no, I'm just too lazy to activate my windows properly..
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    We are currently working on a new Screenshot guide for users to follow for reports - should be live in the next week/2 weeks.
    [P5Y] GhostGuy™ likes this.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    1. You have included the username in the steam screenshots, we advice to block that out, for anti-hijacking reasons.
    2. Your screenshots show the text all in Dutch, which may not register with a lot of people what you meant when selecting things etc.
    [P5Y] GhostGuy™ and Enstage like this.
  4. [P5Y] GhostGuy™

[P5Y] GhostGuy™ New User

Steam:
    Thanks for telling me, that's awesome!
    Alright, thanks for the tips. I'll keep it in mind in future howto's and other guides :)

Could this post be removed/made invisible? Thanks!
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    you mean the thread? for said reasons by me?
  6. [P5Y] GhostGuy™

[P5Y] GhostGuy™ New User

Steam:
    Mostly, yeah
  7. SilentReaper(SR)

SteamRep Admin:
    I'll hide the images and move it to archive.