1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined Vatican City

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by DrKnuckles, Aug 30, 2014.

1. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:58073
    Vatican City

1. SteamRep Integration
    a. Do you run Trade Servers? Please list the URL/IP of each server in your community that runs the SteamRep plugin and how many days each has been running it.

74.91.112.140:27022 Unusual Trade ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27019 Trade #1 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27020 Trade #2 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27021 Trade #3 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27017 Fun/Idle/Trade #1 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27018 Fun/Idle/Trade #2 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27025 Fun/Idle/Trade #3 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)
    74.91.112.140:27023 Fun/Idle/Trade #4 ~270 days (Atlanta, GA)

66.151.138.232:27015 Fun/Idle/Trade #1 ~180 days (San Jose, CA)
    66.151.138.232:27016 Fun/Idle/Trade #2 ~180 days (San Jose, CA)
    66.151.138.232:27017 Fun/Idle/Trade #3 ~180 days (San Jose, CA)
    66.151.138.232:27018 Fun/Idle/Trade #4 ~180 days (San Jose, CA)
    66.151.138.232:27019 Fun/Idle/Trade #5 ~180 days (San Jose, CA)
    66.151.138.232:27020 Fun/Idle/Trade #6 ~180 days (San Jose, CA)

192.223.26.152:27015 Fun/Idle/Trade #1 ~160 days (Chicago, IL)
    192.223.26.152:27016 Fun/Idle/Trade #2 ~160 days (Chicago, IL)

95.172.92.149:27015 Fun/Idle/Trade #1 ~30 days* (Frankfurt, Germany)
    95.172.92.149:27016 Fun/Idle/Trade #2 ~30 days* (Frankfurt, Germany)

*recently opened, steamrep plugin has been running since first boot

b. Do you run a trade-related web application or community? List the URLs of the sites that run the SteamRep Web API and how many days each has been utilizing the API to block or mark scammers.

N/A

2. Have you made any modifications or changes to the SteamRep plugin or are you running an unofficial plugin? If so, please explain.

Default Plugin

3. Please list the URL of your community's Steam group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/thevaticancity

4. Please list the URL of your Steam group containing your community's administrators.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vcadmins

5. Please list ALL admins (not in the above group) and/or moderators of your community below with links to their SteamRep profile (e.g. HelenAngel - http://steamrep.com/profiles/76561197977521239)

N/A

6. What are your community's policies on scamming & scamming-related activities?

Anyone caught scamming or attempting to scam is banned permanently. We do require irrefutable evidence of the scam or attempted scam, or a senior admin to witness it before taking action.

7. Why does your community wish to exchange banners and become a Friend of SteamRep?

As most of our servers are meant for trade or encourage trading we think becoming friends with steamrep.com would be a good way to show our players we are serious about scammers. We want to do whatever we can to provide a great environment for fun and SAFE trading.

8. Please provide a link to your community's website (if applicable)

http://the-vaticancity.com

9. Please provide a link to your community's Sourcebans or ban/report forum.

http://the-vaticancity.com/smf/index.php?page=page1392

10. Please provide a link to your community's stats page, hlstatsx or GameMe (if applicable).

http://the-vaticancity.com/smf/index.php?page=page1

11. Please provide additional details about your community such as how it came to be, how long it has been around, the primary goals of it, what it does, etc.

We started out as a CS 1.3 clan that typically played on Cainslair.com until we grew tired of their rules. Our first server was a Counter-Strike 1.3 server ~1999-2000. We grew from there into various CS mods, classic TF, Battlefield 2, CC:S until around 2007 where I took a hiatus from running servers until 2012 when I started back up. Fast forward to now, we run over 20 TF2 servers(as well as a few other games) all over the US and recently expanded into Europe. Mainly a trade or trade friendly community our goals are to provide a fun and safe trading environment and over-all pleasant experience to all of our players.

12. Please post your community's desired banner (if not already on SR). Banners should be 225x48.
    [​IMG]
  2. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    Update:

12. Please post your community's desired banner (if not already on SR). Banners should be 225x48.
    [​IMG]
  3. (Derp) Cookie Monster

(Derp) Cookie Monster New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:25434707
    Id like to vouch for this community. Very trusted admins in my opinion.
  4. AZIMAGE

AZIMAGE New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:47798695
    Just pointing out that vouches are not needed for community applications, although it is nice we don't want to start an on going vouch creating pages and pages.
  5. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    We do appreciate any support, but there is a time and place for it. Please support us through our servers, website, or steamgroup, etc... We would ask any would-be supporters keep it off this application because any support is just begging for trolls and I would prefer this application stays drama free.
    AZIMAGE likes this.
  6. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    BlizzardStಠ_ಠrm likes this.
  7. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Partner Members).**
  8. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Notes:
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
  9. tQQQ.SecretShopIligan

tQQQ.SecretShopIligan New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:78805876
    Hope you got approved (y)
  10. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    Found a few problems:
    • Your VIP bot does not appear to check if whoever it trades with is a marked scammer (attached screenshots taken from an all-trade server, was listed as #4 at the time). Is it supposed to check the SteamRep API before trading?
    • We very rarely question friends' or partners' own bans, because it's their site/servers and they are under no obligation to allow anyone they dislike into their community. Generally speaking, there is no such thing as "abuse" in regard to banning from your own server, with few exceptions. However, I am compelled to ask about this one: http://vatican.site.nfoservers.com/sourcebans/index.php?p=banlist&searchText=STEAM_0:1:31231356
      This user appears to have been banned from your servers in retaliation for reporting one of your staff here, am I correct?
    Edit: SteamRep block of VIP bot, since it's not listed anywhere in the application:

Attached Files:

11. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    My bots do not check SR API as it never occurred to me to do so. They deal in small amounts of refined metal and the occasional key. They aren't some avenue for marked scammers to make profit from their stolen items. I will add it to the list of improvements my bot coder has to do.

My bots were not added to my application as the application outline never asked for me to list tools. If you want to see which bots are currently in use you can always check their Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/VCBots

"This user appears to have been banned from your servers in retaliation for reporting one of your staff here, am I correct?" No, you are not correct. He was banned for harassing my staff member. His report is garbage and we both know it. That incident was already cleared up months ago on FoG. Had this been the only report made I wouldn't think anything of it, however making a second report on another community appears to be some sort of vendetta.
  12. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    To clarify a little more, my bot's do not give out anything other than VIP or in-game credits that you can buy temporary perks with. There is no way for a scammer to profit through them as they only accept items.
  13. DAFISH#got scammed D:

DAFISH#got scammed D: Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:69854141
    Also scammers are getting banned on the Vatican City Servers,so why would any scammer purchase VIP credits on the Vatican City Servers ? ...
  14. Lava

SteamRep Admin:
    I can understand why you felt the low-value trades were not important enough to check our API for... BUT the problem with the bots accepting stolen goods is actually on a few levels. First off, if a scammer wants some kind of benefit, you should bear in mind these stolen goods are at no cost to themselves. They may not profit per se, but they are receiving benefit from stolen goods. Many scammers charge back donations to SteamRep, or use donation status here and on other websites for credibility. Additionally, even if unnoticed by community admins, trading with scammers can put your bots at risk for trade bans. Some scammers have historically "given out", raffled, or otherwise dumped stolen goods into any bot they could find. To Valve and Steam Support, who usually has no context behind the bots' background, these look like alts and mules used for laundering, and accepting items from scammers like that is a common way innocent accounts end up trade banned with little or any response from Steam Support. When I made the post above, I did see at least one of your bots was already trade banned, and I can only imagine this played a part in the ban. Finally, as an affiliate community you would be expected to uphold and support our rules. I realize your bots are dealing in low-value goods, but our rule does not actually permit low-value trades with scammers. It simply says we won't enforce low-value trades with scammers because that level of checking is unreasonably burdensome and not what the rule is intended to accomplish. As a community admin, you (and your bots/alts) would be held to a higher standard, and you would also be setting an example for the community, who may not take kindly to your community receiving donations in the form of stolen goods. As such, you should absolutely configure bots to check the API before trading, which would not be as burdensome since all your trades/queries would be automated.

You're right that we didn't explicitly ask for your VIP bots. That is not being held against you, I just posted it here for reference, and when/if accepted there will generally be some kind of expectation that your bots are disclosed at the very least to distinguish them from impersonators.

The report on FoG was submitted by someone else. The FoG reporter is not an alt of the user you banned as far as we can establish, and seeing that pending FoG reports are not displayed on SteamRep profiles or searchable within our forums (which is about as far as most users would look) it's very conceivable he had no idea a report was already submitted on FoG. FoG's decision aside, the report had merit, and was even accepted by an admin here. SpicyCandy didn't just trade with scammers, but blatantly brokered for a marked scammer (who was banned for stealing items by impersonating middlemen) in protest of their tag. I spent over a week personally researching that case, assessing character, and discussing his subsequent appeal with other admins (who were split down the middle) before granting his appeal, and the tag could easily have held up. In your ban reason (quoted below for reference), the report was the very first thing you mentioned.
    You then closed it off by specifically calling out SteamRep about our opinion on it. Based on that wording, it's kind of hard for me to believe the ban was primarily for harassing staff. There is an expectation that communities be particularly open to reports about their own staff, and handle any such situation with care. Furthermore, the ban reason is disrespectful and even openly hostile towards SteamRep. While it does not reflect on your reputation as far as we're concerned, it does raise doubts about your intention to work with us.
    Scammers are only banned from the unusual server. They are allowed to join regular trade servers; it just puts [SCAMMER] in front of their name.
  15. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    I already stated I would add that functionality to the bots. Probably isn't even much work.

Whomever made the FoG report could easily be some friend or alt of the person who made the report here. Considering it was cleared up over 5 months ago, I determined it to be some kind of vendetta against Spicy, as I already stated. As such, he was banned. You need not know anything else about the situation as it in not your concern. As far as "If this bothers SR they can suck a dick too." goes, that was directed at whichever SR admin the banned guy sent that message to. I was shown the screenshot. I don't know who he thinks he is, but he is not going to be unbanned from my server through SR. You can believe what you want to believe, but im not going to be called a liar.
  16. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    It was not cleared up five months ago, the report was withdrawn. Archived, not rejected. Massive difference. That's why the tag was given in the first place - as sjru said, "the report on FoG was archived, thus considered void."

The FoG report was made by @-hg- COBALT who is most definitely not an alt or someone on a vendetta.

And since no one has linked it yet, for reference:

The appeal: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/appeal-76561198073867179-natural-sr-caution.105183/

The report: http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/report-76561198073867179-tf2-team-fortress-2-items.103278/
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  17. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    Thanks for your opinion Salmon. I don't need to explain my actions to you. "Cobalt" and the guy I banned could easily be friends, I have no idea nor do I have any responsibility to go sneaking around trying to find out. If you have anything further to say keep it of my application as this is none of your concern,
  18. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    And a side note, as I like and respect HG, I never said Cobalt was on a vendetta. He wasn't the guy I banned.
  19. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    There is a place on my website for ban appeals. The aforementioned was more than welcome to appeal his ban on my forums. He was more than welcome to come to me personally about it as well, however, he did no such thing. His choice was to go through other channels to make threats, and to make some kind of weird demand/appeal to a SR admin/friend of his. I consider this matter closed. Any further questions or remarks about this ban will be ignored.
  20. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    I'm not asking you to explain your actions. I'm asking you to understand SR's actions.
    Which is it? Because baseless accusations aren't a sign of respect in my opinion.

Also, you directly contradict yourself here.

That's a pretty direct way of saying the FoG report (made by Cobalt) was part of a vendetta.

You cannot tell an SR admin that what looks like a revenge-banning of a user isn't their concern. You cannot tell an SR admin that anything involving your community isn't their concern. The whole point of an application to be a partner community is to look into every aspect of that community and make sure that it's up to SR's standards.

per http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/friend-community-application-format-read-this-first.6166/
    Monkey 2 and Roudydogg1 like this.