1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Declined Vatican City

Discussion in 'Archived Applications' started by DrKnuckles, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Rosalina

Rosalina New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:64197455
    Since this is relevant could you please address this issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3kv05n/vatican_permed_for_sharking_a_hat_i_never_owned/

TL;DR admin recently tried to shark a user. He ultimately was unable to get the purchase so he banned the guy who did purchase the hat as well as his friend who did nothing wrong.

Is this something that you condone? How will this situation be handled?
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  2. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:58073
    Sure. An admitted scammer is banned for scamming. Anything beyond that is the word of some thief.
  3. Rosalina

Rosalina New User

Steam:
    There was no scam involved. Did you read the thread? The accusation is that your moderator attempted to shark a new player and then banned a totally innocent trader when the admin failed to shark the hat.
  4. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    I'm perfectly capable of reading. I do not find the source credible, nor do I go to Reddit looking for information regarding the administration of my community. Furthermore, I do not answer to you. If this person has any kind of evidence, he is more than welcome to make a report in my forums. I consider this issue closed as far as it having anything to add to my application and will answer no more of your questions, you are also welcome to make a report on my forums if you need any further information.
  5. Rosalina

Rosalina New User

Steam:
    It actually adds a significant amount to the application. It shows that your admins are not acting faithfully towards fellow community members, nor are they the type of person a new player can rely on for help. It is of the utmost relevance in terms of what it says about them.

Also by handling this report poorly, it shows to admins that you and your staff are not capable of properly running a community that runs on the standards SR expects. Not saying this is what is happening here. But in a more general case

I'd recommend you look into accusations against your staff as they arise, however...
  6. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    It doesn't "show" anything. It's a post on Reddit that includes ZERO evidence. I cannot handle this report poorly, as you put it, as there is no report to handle.

To answer your original questions, would I condone that? If it were true, clearly I would not condone it. How would it be handled? If it were true, I would remove the admin.

If you have anything factual to add, go ahead, otherwise this is not the place.
    Rosalina likes this.
  7. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    A side note, if you read the comments, Hanbammer explained himself fully and very well in my opinion.
  8. †Hanbammer†

†Hanbammer† New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:77754715
    Just a note, I never tried to shark him nor was I ever accused. Apparently you didn't read it completely either. If you haven't noticed, Venom closed the post, and as far as I'm concerned, the issue has been resolved.
  9. DAFISH#got scammed D:

DAFISH#got scammed D: Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:69854141
    Katpolice and Roudydogg1 like this.
  10. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    We are currently investigating this ourselves.
  11. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    First let me state that this:

It is not your decision to make, if a Steamrep report is valid or not. The user you traded with has not provided any evidence of his innocence, neither on SR nor here. On the contrary, the evidence that he DID scam a user is in that report.

is a preposterous statement. If that is how things work around here you can go ahead and close this application. I have no intentions of marking players because there is no evidence of innocence. I require evidence of GUILT, which doesn't appear to be shown here, to mark a player.

Having said that, this particular admin has been removed. To be perfectly clear, he was not removed for this particular incident solely.
  12. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I would just like to say the statement you quoted is from TF2 Outpost, not Steamrep. You can say what you want about their statement and practices, but please don't confuse the two. We do not micromanage communities or dictate their decisions of who is or is not allowed in their community/site.

Glancing at this case, I don't see a record of Hambanner previously trading with scammers, and it appears the user was not marked at the time of the trade, and still isn't marked. The most that could happen from this situation is a warning to review the pending report before trading, but I could hardly see something like that being counted against him especially if the trade was entirely within the trade window. Looking at the scam report itself, the evidence quality is not fully up to our standards, but the issues with evidence could easily be corrected.

All this said, you should be aware that community admins are held to a higher standard, and you can expect people, whatever their motivations may be, to watch your staff like hawks and jump on the first incident singling your staff out. Part of being a friend community means you will have to deal with reports like this, and handle them professionally instead of jumping to conclusions about the reporters or communities who may or may not involved.

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Partner Members).**
  13. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    I know the difference between OP and SR, I think you must be the confused person around here. As far as the micromanaging statement goes, go back a couple pages and re-read a couple of your other gems. Further, I already stated there was no evidence that my admin did anything wrong, so your entire second paragraph was no more useful than the first. Finally, for your third paragraph, I think you got things more confused than you did in your first paragraph. I jumped to no conclusions anywhere in my statement, frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about. We checked out the trade, found no evidence of wrong doing, and I stated that. The admin on OP is clearly insane, or if that is how they operate, then OP has some bizarre policies. Regardless, the decision to remove the admin was based upon a number of things, most of which are not any of your concern. One as astute as you think you are could easily come to the conclusion that of my 3 page application, literally 1 entire page is about that particular admin and his activities. That fact alone was enough for myself and my head admin to decide that, along with other issues with this admin, it was time to let him go.

I am not your subordinate so keep your condescending lectures to yourself. Nothing you have said to me has been useful aside from your suggestion about my bots. You have been openly hostile towards me from day 1. I have no more use for you than I would a tampon, which you could probably use yourself.

Let's get something straight here, the only reason I am here is to give back to the community. We take scammers quite seriously, and if we can contribute more bans to the database, then we would love the opportunity. Aside from that, I gain nothing. I already have use of the forums to see reports. I have the plugin. What else do I have to gain? The answer is nothing.

That being said, I am not going to sit here and be lectured by some forum admin. You want to call me unprofessional? Just because you put together some well worded statements does not make them professional. That is where a lot of you get things wrong. Well worded /= professional. Again, you have been openly hostile towards me from the first time you opened your mouth. You have added nothing to my application. There is nothing professional about any of your statements.

Let me say this again, I am only here for one reason, to help fight scammers. Dealing with your rude comments repeatedly is a monumental waste of my time and will will do so no longer. I already said earlier in the application that I would prefer to deal with another admin, as you are biased, rude, and apparently have some agenda. Now I am going to state this outright, I will NOT deal with you any longer. Reply, don't, it is of no concern to me as you specifically are of zero use to me.
  14. DAFISH#got scammed D:

DAFISH#got scammed D: Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:69854141
    You might also want to demote Hanbammer from your community's steam group to avoid "vengeance".
  15. DrKnuckles

DrKnuckles New User

Steam:
    Not a bad idea however I would't expect there to be any "vengeance" from him. The fact of the matter is that Bammer has graduated and got a real job and is just not active any more. He's been a staff member for probably over 3 years and I love the guy. He is even welcome back if he decides to get active again. I only add this information to keep the rumors down. He has done nothing wrong. The truth is, I don't care to deal with this kind of situation when it's centered around a mostly inactive staff member.
  16. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Hey Dr. Knuckles-- I don't believe I've spoken to you before, nor am I familiar with your community. But I've read this thread and I really don't see any of our staff being spiteful or condescending. You have our apologies if anything came across that way. If you re-read the thread as objectively as you can, I hope you will see the staff responses as not intending to be attacking or rude.

That being said, even if you felt slighted, that is absolutely no reason to be abusive towards our volunteers. They do their best to help people in their free time, and it's just unacceptable to abuse them. If this is your reaction when people get under your skin (inadvertently or on purpose), then I can't take the risk you aren't going to blow up at our staff when working together.

I'm going to decline this application, as I think both parties would be happier going their separate ways. Perhaps when the air has settled a bit more we can discuss working together. In the new year, we're going to be reviewing how we do the whole friend/partner thing and perhaps that process will result in less drama and arguing.

Note that if you have a specific concern with the way an admin is treating you, please do send me a PM on these forums and I'll look into it.

Thanks for applying and hopefully we can work together down the road.