1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What are the rules of renaming?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Evanescence, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:19459148
    Is it considered scam to rename per example a hat to "10 stranges" and painting it Orange.

Is going in random server and telling "trading 10 stranges" is ok?

It's hugely vague since a person can say this to represent his hat and not "TEN stranges" and at the same time it can be considered as trolling.

So what's the rules of renaming for you Steamrep?
  2. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    sorry, are you serious?
  3. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:

Yeah, sorry if it's may not look like but anyway.

I know there's a huge gap between stupidity of NOT recognizing a renamed hat AND TEN stranges.

I only know renaming a gift wrapped item is can be considered as scam attempt if you try to trade a normal hat asd renamed to look unusual.
  4. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    To me OP, i mostly wanted to ask if it's considered as "having scamming intention" not really asking if it's considered a "scam" but enough possible to warrant you a CAUTION tag or something.

Thanks
  5. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    Is there any Steamrep admin can answer me?

It's a serious question.
  6. Chaos

Chaos Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:33058557
    It depends on the intent. If you intend to scam with that item, you could end up with a tag.

Personal advice, don't rename items like that. Don't rename an item that suggests it's anything other than what it is. It just makes you look bad.
  7. Evanescence

Evanescence New User

Steam:
    I was thinking the same about the personal advice. Thanks.

Appreciated gentleman! It was Super Effective!
    Later in TF2 i guess :)

Thread can now be closed.
  8. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

yeah, while its suspicious, it in itself isn't a cause for a tag. Being shitty around with trading it saying its some that it isn't, thats intent. If some is selling a "unusual" I expect a unusual, not a renamed item. Ppl have burned themselves on that.

Its another thing to rename a gibus "unusual gibus" and just telling the person you are selling a gibus, but that its renamed like that. Telling ppl you are selling a unusual gibus and its a renamed one. In short: trolling is fine, desception not. The report will come, and the most heard "defense" is "I wasn't going to get through it, I was just trolling..."... yeah right.
    Dronefly likes this.
  9. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    2 scenarios:
    #1 - I want to sell "unusual gibus" for 2 rec (value of regular gibus)

This is not so wrong if I advertise I am selling an "unusual gibus" and ask markt price or slightly more (for the name tag)

#2 If I said : super quick selling a rare unusual gibus for only 1 key

This (i imagine) would already constitute a caution tag. although the amount is small and although it is not "meant" to be misrepresented as an unusual hat the fact that i didnt quote the "unusual gibus" in example #2 and the fact that i dressed up the sentence with words such as super quick sellling and rare gives the impression that i am selling something that is not.

All this is a fine line but with enough misrepresentation and mispricing i think its a "sellers own risk" type of scenario where each case needs to be reviewed for just how much misrepresentation is used to sell the item at above market value (even if i dont ask 1 bud or 10 keys or anything that high, asking 1 key also warrants a type of scam as I am misrepresenting to increase the value of an item).

Any feedback is appreciated and again, these are my personal views and in no way constitute those of steamrep or any admin that will be trying your case for being a dumbass :)
  10. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

We've always have been taking into account if and how they tried to sell it. The item itself doesn't warrant a tag, no matter the description.