1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What is the policy on reverse scamming a scammer?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Mako11, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Mako11

Mako11 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1069981
    If someone is obviously trying to scam you, and even has SR reports filed against him. And you turn around the scam and make him pay you before he pays you. Is this considered a scam?
  2. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Yes, scamming a scammer is always scamming. People have been marked for this many times before.
    schmed and Sniper Pro like this.
  3. Gara

Gara Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42629858
    Think of it this way, the accused scammer could just say they would have went through with the trade but you ended up scamming them. They report you, Bam! You're now labeled as a scammer too. You can't really prove bad intention, so saying you thought someone was going to scam you doesn't make it any better. The ol' two wrongs don't make a right. Best to just steer clear of someone you think is trying to scam you, especially if they are already labeled.
  4. Salmon

Salmon Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:21003377
    I'm currently yellow tagged for something that normally gets a red tag (which I thought would get me a red tag) and that was taking an item from a scammer to return to the victim. Basically: SR tags against any sort of scam no matter the target.
  5. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    To be clear, your tag wasn't reduced to caution because of who the victim was (a scammer). It's because you returned the items promptly, and because I weighed your intent, individual circumstances, and likelihood to do it again; and decided a lesser warning was justifiable. Like I said in that thread, had you not returned the item, the outcome would be different, and I've made similar decisions for people who defaulted on brokering arrangements but returned the items. Scamming scammers can still get you the red kind.
    Salmon and Roudydogg1 like this.
  6. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    When I get an appeal and the excuse is "I scammed a scammer, hurr durr" I am less likely to consider the appeal.
  7. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    [​IMG]
    Ninja Otter With A Taco and Gara like this.
  8. Mako11

Mako11 New User

Steam:
    and what if you pay victims of the scammer with the stuff you scammed off of him?
  9. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    I'll tag Robin Hood just as fast.
  10. Enstage

Enstage SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:52569926
    Still the same. Scamming a scammer is always scamming and will get you a tag.
  11. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
  12. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    Was debating if I should post that earlier or not...probably still not entirely relevant but I think it covers buying from scammers, or scamming scammers, or whatever.
  13. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Scamming the scammer gets you marked. While intend may be genuine to "help" the victim, it delivers more problems then it solves.

We had victims yell scammer to someone, claiming they lost X amount, but no trade or w/e happened, and someone "helpful" thought to go scam the "scammer", and it turned out later that the Victim accused the wrong account... With the process here we can hear both parties and judge accordingly.

Repaying a victim also impedes on the appeal process (scammer has to repay the victim without any fuss, and as above can be seen in Lava's reply, asap).

Also, Scamming a scammer, if that scammer only scammed like... a key or a craft hat or w/e, and you scam a unusual? how is that "appropriate"? or if the victim got the items back, how can SR then still require repayment? Or how to weight the repayment for the appeal? If the item(s) scammed where quite valuable, the scammer may not be able to repay, for its all they had. It was a involuntary repayment, which would negatively influence their appeal.

So we have as guidance to not do so, and treat it the same as any other scam. Repayment is between the scammer and victim only, no admin should be in between (see appeal tips as well), and no conditions can be put up by the scammer. They already owe the victim what they scammed, and the victim should not have to do anything. The only thing we ask of the victim is that they post on the report (if still open) or appeal thread that they received repayment (in full) from the scammer and tell how it went and their sentiment regarding it. Only then it can be weighted in into the report outcome or appeal.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  14. Mako11

Mako11 New User

Steam:
    So Robin Hood ideal is just a myth, not something we should strive for, and rely on fate of the gods since theres no real protection or retribution against scammers.
  15. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Is gods judgement (whoever your god may be) not good enough? I would rather be judged by him then robin hood.
    schmed and Roudydogg1 like this.
  16. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I can't tell for sure if this is what you're getting at, but if you're trying to advocate for some kind of sanctioned scam recovery program by stealing from thieves and con artists, then I'm afraid you're not understanding what we do and missing the big picture.

We are a scammer awareness group, who focuses on prevention through education and by maintaining a database of accounts known to have committed fraud. We do this impartially, with a mostly black and white criteria of if-scammer-then-tag-else-don't. We are not in a position to decide if some people are more deserving of mistreatment than others or to declare any particular person or group as "fair game" to steal from. Whatever the motivation may be - whether it's recovering stolen goods for yourself or a friend, buying medicine for your sick child, paying a ransom, redistributing the wealth, proving a point or concept, greed, or just the only way you can put food on the table and a roof over your head - we judge your actions alone, not the motivation behind those actions. If you scam, for any reason, then you will be labeled as a scammer. If you think your actions were somehow justifiable then you're welcome to appeal, but we don't give passes for "he's a scammer so he deserved it".
    SilentReaper(SR) and Gara like this.