1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

What's going to happen to TF2 wall street [steam market discussion]

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by TemioMAN, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    So I have been thinking guys.
    The new steam market is a bit of a success but possible may effect the economy?
    TF2 brings in over half a million dollars a week(read a blog by a valve employee)
    But the Mann co key and name tag are their two main sources of profit.
    I dunno about you but I would now want to go to the market to buy keys and name tags since its cheaper.
    So I'm thinking this is not a good move for tf2 as a money maker for valve since it gets rid of a chunk of money that they get from the Mann co store. So I predict valve will either get rid of the market which will piss people off or lower the prices of keys and name tags also paint which will durastically effect the tf2 economy. Or will they just stay with the market even though it takes away alot of their profit.ofcourse theirs going to be people that just buy keys in bulk and don't care what the rm price is.
    So what do you think?
    Note:the market does not get rid of sourceOP since people still have the desire for PayPal money so they can buy irl stuff
    Note:rm=real money
  2. Duskfall -a^DF

Duskfall -a^DF New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41806566
  3. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    I personally think their economist made a smart move. Why take 100% of 1% of the trading market when you can try taking 15% of 90% of the trading market. The truth is, there is more money being exchanged in 1 day on the current black market then on the entire store. So if you ask me they are actually shifting towards getting a much larger piece of the pie.
  4. a tasty serving of

a tasty serving of New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:16282053
    Dronenfly nailed it. It was the first thing I thought when I seen that. If they expand the market to have unusual hats&promos then black market will really feel it. Why risk paypal when u got a guaranteed payment. Valve will love that 15% cut of that. Granted, not everyone likes steam cash but it will have an effect. Though could backfire,noobs might say why pay for alot of keys, Ill get cheap unusual.
  5. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    They will not be doing unusuals purely for the fact that you cannot have more than 200£ go onto your steam account within I think either an hour or a day
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

There loads of unusuals worth less. The possible gain rate might indeed not to their liking.
    VenGanZa likes this.
  7. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yeah if Valve likes how market is working, beyond current beta testing I am sure they will add everything they can to it.
  8. alisterstewart

alisterstewart New User

I dunno about you but I would now want to go to the market to buy keys and name tags since its cheaper.
    So I'm thinking this is not a good move for tf2 as a money maker for valve since it gets rid of a chunk of money that they get from the Mann co store. So I predict valve will either get rid of the market which will piss people off or lower
  9. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

no, in the end the keys are used, and as in another thread, it was found out that the average key stays "alive" for 58 days before being used on a crate. Keys come from somewhere.... oh, one can buy them in the Mann Co...
  10. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Since valve take a cut of every sale on the market they are earning more now in 1 day through the market than they would in 3 days of the normal store.
  11. Clive

Clive SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:43668349
    Is that an actual statistic, or are you just saying that? If it is an actual statistic I would be interested in the source.
  12. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    Yer it's a rough statistic I got it off one of the steam employees blogs. Since apparently he's been getting asked about the market a lot. I will see if I can retrace the link.
  13. Sud

Sud New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:6925509
    It's not guaranteed, though. A potential scammer has a window of opportunity in which they can buy a hat off the steam market, and offload it to someone for PayPal cash, then chargeback Valve. All chargebacking is done at the credit card level.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.