1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why are famous people allowed to trade with scammers? and get away with it?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Debras Neighbor #1, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireballNitro

FireballNitro New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:57327886
    well now we know you didnt bother to check the reports (or read the title of them) cause the first link is him asking FoG the same question -.-
    MKeist likes this.
  2. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    I can't remember the exact reasons, and I can no longer look them up, but FoG couldn't handle the reports on moe etc. Because if my memory serves me correctly, his fans were causing troubles with the entire community.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  3. |||Dobroslav Augustin

|||Dobroslav Augustin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44042645
    So the natural thing to do was to just make up a bullshit excuse that SteamRep is dealing with the reports and just do nothing? So if I raid your website's forums am I free to trade with scammers? Also last time I checked CSGOShop didn't have fans but maybe that's just me being dumb.
  4. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions without looking, I was away from my computer, glancing at the discussion board from mobile, and it looked like a bunch of FoG reports to me. In the past few months, we've been asked to answer for partner community reports someone disagreed with and made a show about multiple times, and generally speaking we do not intervene with their decisions unless we see a real need to. Being on mobile at the time of posting, I was not going to sit and research each of those threads dropped here by a yet another brand new alt complaining about unfair or "corrupt" handling of reports, on my smart phone with a dying battery, while away from home and running errands.
    1. First link states each of the reports were forwarded to us because they're high impact or high profile. This is not usually the case, but partners may sometimes come to us for guidance on unusual cases, and really high impact ones reported to other communities (such as with Samalex) are handled here to avoid unneeded drama and handle them with extra care. Looking up each of these cases...
    2. Second link has not been forwarded to us as far as I can see. As of yet, there are no internal threads for the case, and a single pending report which was created before the FoG thread (26 June) and appears to be something completely unrelated. Aside from that, and this thread where it's being asked about, there are no mentions of this accused's Steam ID anywhere in our forums.
    3. Third link is not referenced in any internal threads, but there is a regular report for what looks like the same thing, posted 1 week after FoG's conclusion apparently by someone in no way connected with the FoG report. There is an internal board used for partners to forward reports to us. Sometimes it gets backlogged, but because those reports are already scrutinized and reviewed by mostly trained admins, and it doesn't receive as much traffic as the regular report section, we try to stay mostly on top of it. Seeing this was posted in the regular report subforum, it's very easy to get lost among the thousands of other reports, but it doesn't look forwarded per se.
    4. Forth link is posted in our internal board for partners to forward reports 2 weeks ago. It is still in queue. I won't defend the time this one has taken to receive attention with the usual "so many reports/appeals, so few admins" speech, but I will say that not all admins are allowed to work in partner reports. I am only recently reaching that point, and I was largely away/busy since early August, hence I've done few reports/appeals for SteamRep as a whole in that timeframe. I am only now slowly stepping into working with partners in this capacity, and sometimes skip over situations which I feel require experience beyond my level until another admin is available to work on it with me. There is no influence from celebrities in the delay for this case, there are several other backlogged cases unrelated to this in the same board. See also my note on these cases below.
    5. Fifth link is not mentioned anywhere in our forums. As far as I can tell, it was not forwarded to us in any capacity.
    6. Sixth link is not mentioned anywhere in our forums aside from this thread.
    With one exception, none of these cases have been forwarded to us as far as I can see. Now there may well be some kind of investigation going on with these accounts, but I cannot find it, and was not aware of any of these profiles. Glancing over each individual case, every single one is the exact same type of offense: trade with marked scammer, evidenced by backpack scanner csgo.exchange. This type of case often looks straightforward on the surface but is actually a bit more complicated. Like F7are said, these things take time; Hell, even Samalex's case took time. Of particular note, item scanners often do not capture a complete picture of trade history, due to private or unchecked backpacks and other issues. As such, while they do prompt deeper investigation, they require a bit more exhaustive research to definitively prove, and are not a "5-20 minute open and shut case" like they're sometimes made out to be. The thing is, you don't slap a tag on any random trader on a whim because you think they look guilty; you need to be able to definitively prove they're guilty, even if only to trusted partners (often the case with alts) instead of simply giving your word on it.

As for celebrities getting away with trades with scammers, that is simply not true. Most of us at SteamRep are not even active traders anymore - trading and fraud investigation/research do not go hand-in-hand very well. Working on these reports and appeals as many of us do, with our undivided attention on the presented evidence, is time that we can't spend trading. Any case where we're trading and may run into a conflict of interest of some sort, we need to recuse ourselves from the case. And on top of all that, if we run into a good deal that has a sketchy-looking profile (less than a year old, etc.) even if we can't find or provably link any alts we are all expected to avoid that trade. As inactive or retired traders, we don't really keep up with celebrities. Additionally, most of us really don't care who someone is or how famous they are when investigating until they pose a clear threat to the community, such as Samalex (then-tagged middleman) or another user abusing his SteamWorks developer badge to make people go first.

Now I just wasted 2 hours researching and replying to this thread, which is longer than the OP's newly-created Steam account existed when starting the thread.
    Roudydogg1 and Sjru like this.
  5. Debras Neighbor #1

Debras Neighbor #1 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:125984784
    noname is just a p✿✿✿✿
  6. Debras Neighbor #1

Steam:
    Good, now spend more time to get these reports done or send them back to fog, you signed up for this job. if you dont wanna do it then why the f✿✿✿ are you still an admin?
  7. |||Dobroslav Augustin

|||Dobroslav Augustin New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:44042645
    well glad you can confirm FOG is just lying. now that we know fog lies about crap to make their job easier should I just ignore every FOG mark? after all they are lying about their job
  8. Debras Neighbor #1

Steam:
    csgoshop is scary since SR admins sell there and they dont want to piss off penguin and his sharking friends who profit against the steam tos
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Your reading skills aren't really up to par hmm? See:

n0:name may be in touch with another SR Admin to handle those, and that admin not having yet posted the evidence on our forums.

Lava is not obliged to serve you, he daily tries to make the most effect of his time. As you rebuked him for not reading those reports. He answered you why he didn't look there:
    As far as I'm aware, the only admin that is selling items there is @Vintage Cobra and if that site has problems he really wouldn't be on it.

Now, conclusion time:
    • Its up to FoG to forward those reports etc if they say so, and keep tabs on progress etc. You got answer on what a admin currently could find here.
    • OP is only here to troll or disrupt and waste time, being too uninformed etc to our procedures. The account he uses is a newly made alt of a FoG marked scammer.
    • This thread is not a way to "press" for those reports to be handled by SR, that request must come from FoG. If FoG is already talking with an SR admin about that, it would not be efficient to go over and grab it by another admin. Especially as I above already quoted, we normally don't want to intrude on how Partners handle their reports and appeals. We educate them how to handle them and such, but the particular cases we won't normally intercede in.
    • I see no point in further entertaining this thread, hence I'm archiving it. It has been enough.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating, SteamRep Partner Members).**
    Roudydogg1, Enstage and Hitman Sparky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.