1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Why do scammers not get their account banned by valve?

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Sausageson, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Markers

Markers New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35807771
    And I can promise you they are not aware of %75 all steam forums and %40 of the tickets sent.
  2. Dronefly

Dronefly Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:41413966
    Companies like Valve have always listened and have always been interested in what people say. They have many employees whose only job is to check feedback from their end users which includes reading their own forums, forums such as this and other popular forums. They can't possibly read ALL the content written out there because the manpower required is just not realistically in the budget. However, they try to cover the percentages; so as long as they read the top active forums where they can cover the biggest "community footprint" to understand the users' concerns and needs, they do. The only problem is, there is only so much they can give back. Many times they give back and you don't see long winded threads of talk about items being returned. Most people that get their items / money back due to extreme circumstances are never heard of because they move on with their lives. After they have been "refunded" by the good graces of the corporation that warned them to be careful right from the first moment you they signed up they simply forget the whole ordeal (it's embarrassing to be caught with your pants down, isn't it?).

For example:
    The public health warnings on cigarettes and how smoking can kill you.
    You are constantly made aware of it, and one day you find out that you are dying due to your negligence. The government program (here in Canada where we have free healthcare) still spends the money to try and save your ignorant ass (and sometimes they do).
    Have you ever heard a doctor say : DUDE, WE HAD THE TOBACCO COMPANIES WRITE IT IN BOLD ON EVERY PACK YOU EVER BOUGHT. WHY DID YOU NOT READ IT? NOW, WE WON'T HELP YOU. GO HOME AND DIE FOR BEING IGNORANT
    No, they don't. Same concept with Valve. They can only do so much to warn you. It's in their agreement, it's in the trade help bubbles and notifications you get on your first XXX number of trades. All saying, if you trade outside the realm of this window, we can't help you or protect you. Yet somehow we still trade and take the risk. Do we have a right to b✿✿✿✿ in any way? We don't.
    Nevertheless, when enough people complain, they spend the money and make the necessary changes to their end user agreement to appease the masses that complain. How many times have you had to sign off on changes to the end user agreement when steam updated? Have you ONCE read the revisions? I bet over 90% of you haven't. Yet they spent so much money to deliberate and debate these changes before they were done. Remember, every change affects millions of users. They have to spend money to develop a push notification to the end user agreement. Let's not forget their legal fees to have a law firm that charged them $5000/hour (a number out of my own ass actually) to revise that policy. It costs a lot to make these changes and they always do it. It's not like their end user agreement is 10 years old. It's constantly changing. It's because of the community and the ever changing needs, not because they felt like spending money to keep their lawyers and programmers busy.

You want to take a risk, well good luck. You can b✿✿✿✿ and they WILL listen and WILL log the offence against the person who committed the fraud (sometimes banning with enough violations), but they are NOT responsible or obligated to give back money for something they warned you numerous times not to do. Yet they are constantly pumping money back to appease the ignorant people (directly and indirectly) just to keep "the community" happy.

I would cut them slack and just vent elsewhere over the fact that your ignorance and misused blind trust got taken advantage of. It is no one else's fault but your own. I got scammed 4 times before I decided to smarten up and take my time and put some effort into learning how to avoid getting scammed. Will more scams occur, yes. Will people b✿✿✿✿ and cry, yes. Could they have done something about it to prevent it from happening, yes. It's the lack of effort to research and the blind trust you put into some random person who you never once saw or met or had any sort of experience dealing with that allows you to be scammed.

On a side note, your strong commitment to fight this argument is great, but I only wish you pointed that towards the right direction. Valve is not to blame. The scammers are. Find a way to fight them back. Not the corporation. They have never taken a single $0.01 from a single user unfairly or without consent. You never once hear that Valve took money and didn't deliver on what you gave them money for. So why go after them?

I do not work or am affiliated with Valve in any way. And yes, I got upset when I got scammed and pleaded for help to Valve, but when they told me that they can not help due to the nature of my trade, I accepted it for what it was.
  3. Man from Terra

Man from Terra New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19638256
    That argument is wrong and/or flawed from top to bottom. Corporations/developers are always responsible for the content/produce they are making. At the end of the day simply putting "we are not responsible for..." sticker doesn't make any difference when it comes to complains and accidents as proven by a number of lawsuits or as you mentioned by people actually getting something back from the developer... even as a "one time deal".

Putting a warning on a carton of cigarettes doesn't excuse the company of being related to millions of dead or ill people either. Lack of will, irresponsibility, general ignorance play their roles of course but changing the human nature isn't easy and ignoring the issue or putting the blame solely on the buyer will not achieve anything. Additionally - portraying complaining costumers, victims or even concerned but unrelated people as "bitching crybabies" is counter productive, at least in a long term.

On a related note - scammers do hold the majority of blame in case of well... scams but we are talking about an online trading scam which happens to be inside a software developed by a certain company which provides the ability to trade and/or scam in the first place. So they do hold the responsibility to a certain extent despite any warnings they may have put, though i will reiterate that the amount of the responsibility they share is directly proportional to the reaction of their costumers and may vary over time.

What i am trying to say - you can't shirk away from any responsibility just because you have warned somebody that you might actually be responsible for something. Thank God for that. We do not want human centipedes walking around, do we?

While i am upset that you were not reimbursed after your plea to Valve, i believe that this isn't exactly a reason to stop trying, demanding and complaining for a change. Crying, if you will, for a better judgment in future and not just one their part but your own as well, as you become more educated of intricacies and potential forms of a fraud on Steam platform.
  4. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45707254
    I think what people understand is that SteamRep is a third party organization that associates itself with steam. Although SteamRep is probably the most trusted Steam trading organization; they cannot get a scammer trade banned because it normally takes to much time unless there somebody who belongs to like team vedetia, but overall it takes to much work, also if valve banned the steam account they would not earn any money from that account from buying games and such
  5. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    But Valve Still Do listen to the community alot so maybe one day they will start banning the dirty scammers and hyjackers
  6. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

if people kept reporting to Steam Support....
  7. TemioMAN

TemioMAN New User

Steam:
    True^ be that
  8. Dronefly

Steam:
    They take quite a lot of action. They are not ignorant to the use of their product / service. Ultimately what they are saying is that we designed a system to in-window trade. If you have problems or get scammed using this window and how it was designed and intended to be used then they take responsibility for those problems and will assist you in getting your lost items / money etc back. HOWEVER, if you use the system in a way it was never intended (real world money / services via "faith" or "honor" trading) then they will NOT be responsible. How can you hold them responsible. It's like saying that when someone hacks or alters a software package and it stops working or opens a vulnerability that lets them get hacked, do you hold the original software company liable? you do not. The only real hacks that exist that valve does not get involved in are 3rd party trades.

My example was not meant to be a literal direct comparison. I was not comparing people's lives to small amounts of lost / stolen money (generally nothing that would bankrupt a person).

See my first point above. Still stands.

On the contrary. You can. If you have proof of acknowledgement to term of use by a person via clear acceptance of terms, no court in the world would ever accept a lawsuit. The only time I have ever seen this not be true is in situations of pressure sales tactics where a person was NOT given ample time to review / accept a contract at their own pace. This is the only time a contract can be nullified (and has been in a court of law in the past).

I agree that pleading to Valve and writing them when you have a problem is the right thing to do. I encourage everyone to do so. The more reports they get the more action they will take to try and circumvent this situation from repeating itself. However, going around and flaming the "corporation" for using their product in a way it was never intended is just not the right answer.
  9. Man from Terra

Man from Terra New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:19638256
    That is what i said on the previous page. When real money involved its not a problem of steam (unless we are talking steam vallet) but instead of services that you have used to transfer the money. Usually they will reimburse you.

If only it was that simple... Jack Kevorkian would've only needed to sign a contract with his "patients". Comparing suicides and diretide couriers isn't exactly fair, ill admit that. People have won cases against mobile service providers when they "accidentally" got huge roaming charges, despite technically having acknowledged terms and tariffs in first place. Though this isn't exactly the same thing as being scammed inside a trading platform, ill admit that as well. In the end it boils down to a particular situation and circumstances rather than a set of unbreakable rules.

So who exactly been doing that around here? Trading items inside trading system made by a corporation for a purpose of a trading items seems pretty legit to me, but who's to blame for oversights and abusers of the system? Victims? I think not. Even if they add 10 confirmation stages and 100 pages of "terms and conditions" with quizzes at the end.
  10. HelenAngel

HelenAngel Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8627755
    I do TONS of scam reports every day. I am thrilled that Valve trade-bans scammers. I support this 100% and I've seen every "accidental" trade-ban cleared up promptly. Those who are guilty, well, they have that nice, big, red X that says Banned by Valve.

Also, Valve does trade-ban people for Paypal scams. So that entire argument is invalid.

Until you have spent a day in my shoes, I honestly don't feel that your* opinion holds much weight at all in this matter. I deal with the fallout every day. Scammers need to understand that there are consequences to their actions.

(*By "your" I mean in a general sense. Totally not meaning to single anyone out or anything here! :) )
  11. VenGanZa

VenGanZa User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:32312479
    Yeah and God knows we are all grateful :)

[​IMG]
    Dronefly likes this.
  12. Dronefly

Steam:
    Let's just change the topic to what it's REAL purpose is:

ALL HAIL HELEN FOR HER GREAT WORK! ;)
    Clive likes this.