1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Will i get marked for:

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by PIXELATED, May 23, 2013.

1. I was wondering if I, or others, will be marked ( I have not done this fyi) if I trade with a marked person, who was marked for buying stolen goods, and I buy from him. But I buy a item from him that is not stolen?
  2. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

sigh, I'll add it to the Expanded FAQ...
  3. DataStorm

DataStorm Retired Staff

Look at : http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/expanded-faq-recommended.7263/

I just added this:

Q: Trading with Scammers, will I get marked for that?
    A: SR will mark for trades:
    • Trading with electronic money for items.
    • Trading any Unusual
    • Item trading above the worth of a Bills Hat
    So if you trade a craft hat for a refined, don't worry, we don't look at that. However if it starts combined to be above the Bill's hat as defined above, then it may get our interest.
    This policy is designed to prevent scammers to cash out, but also keeping in mind that minor trades aren't really damaging so we prevent a scammer to give to a victim some items and then reporting the victim for trading with scammers etc.
    Randinie Grey Beard and Dronefly like this.
  4. Scooty Puff Jr.

Scooty Puff Jr. New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:34050552
    Well... I would like to say that a couple of things would need to be taken into account.
    1) the value of the item
    2) you already know he is marked and go ahead with the trade anyway
  5. Thanks, he's appealed the cause anyway, so I'll wait and see. The general idea is trading anything, scammed or not, from a scammer above a price of 8 keys will resoert in you getting marked correct?
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Just a quick note-- the policy is also designed to help us break up scammer rings where "innocent" traders help the scammer launder/unload items. It also helps with alternate account transfers where it's impossible in this day and age for people to confirm the two accounts aren't alts/working together.

Bottom line: Stay away from marked scammers for trades or game business agreements. It can easily hurt your reputation. It's not the item, it's the person themselves. Don't do business with thieves.
  7. Nathan Cash

Nathan Cash New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:45077164
    If you accidentally trade with someone you legitimately do not know was marked, you will probably be fine. However don't trade with someone who is marked as it makes it possible to become marked yourself. Although items under 8 keys will not be considered, I recommend NOT TRADING WITH MARKED INDIVIDUALS AT ALL! (Except for me. Do business with me XD)
    Hotter and VenGanZa like this.
  8. Hotter

Hotter New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52379701
    Very helpful as i accidently purchased a unusual from a scammer who stole it and i don't wished to be marked with scammer
  9. Randinie Grey Beard

Randinie Grey Beard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:8100589
    Any item you buy from a scammer is tainted goods. Yes the item he sold you he got legit, through an honest trade but did he get it from money he received by selling the items he scammed? You can't be sure of this one way or the other. Whether it was a low or high value item is irrelevant, the action of committing the scam puts all his items and future ones in question/doubt. Anyone who buys from him is rewarding his actions as a scammer. Any issue of trust was thrown away the moment he committed the 'crime'. The scammer mark is there for you, to help you avoid being scammed and to help prevent the scammer from profiting from his actions.
    DataStorm and VenGanZa like this.
  10. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    Even tho SR may show a little leeway in these types of things, individual communities may not show a single drop.
    Best to stay away no matter what or risk coms banning you.