1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Scamming a scammer, question

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Mindset, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mindset

Mindset New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:59627209
    If I scam someone out of items they stole from another user and return them to the user from whom they were stolen with their confirmation, will I get an SR tag?

This is a serious question; tired of seeing some of these scammers and with my rep I can get some of the items back for the people who lost them.
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Yes, scamming is scamming regardless.

We also don't need any vigilantes running around doing this type of activity either or any modern day Robin Hood wannabes.
    Mattie! and Tio José das Vacas like this.
  3. Mindset

Mindset New User

Steam:
    I didn't realize trying to help people get items that were stolen from them made me a "robin hood wannabe", but okay.
  4. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    Scam is Scam. Even if is direct to a marked scammer . Imagine that you can get the items from a marked scammer and he is declared inocent ( Ban appealaccepted) You just scam a Innocent guy. That's why , in my opinion , steam rep community does not need "Robin Hood wannabes". I hope i've helped ;)
  5. Mindset

Mindset New User

Steam:
    Fair point, but when he has three scam reports against him and even confesses to it in the steam chat, I don't really think thats much of an option.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Fundamentally, the community expects people to stand by their business agreements-- otherwise their reputation will reflect that they don't uphold their agreements.

Imagine if everybody on Steam started scamming people because they "thought" someone was shady or a scammer (perhaps in vengeance or to help a possible victim). It'd be chaos and people would use the excuse to violate trade agreements even in borderline cases.

It's never okay to commit fraud in cash-related trading-- if you want to be trusted in the community, you will never break agreements. Just don't get into trade deals with banned people or known scammers. It will hurt your reputation-- committing fraud yourself is never the answer.

We're all incredibly sympathetic with the victims, but we need everyone's help to stop future scams rather than increasing the amount of deceit in trading.
  7. Tio José das Vacas

Tio José das Vacas SteamRep Admin Partner Community Donator - Tier V

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:32194479
    I know that is very frustrating seeing a guy scamming a lot of people. But who will judge what itens do you or any "robin hood" take from them. No one can judge on that. The scammer normally sell the stolen items quickly, too Innocent people. If you scam someone, no mater if they are scammers your just being equal to them. But what you can really do too help its report all cases that you assist and helping the victims by explaing how the report a scam.
  8. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Don't forget, steam support punish scammers as well. I really doubt you want a trade banned slapped on your account.
  9. Pringles

Pringles New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:53215696
    Here is a story,

So person1 advertises his StatTrak™ Desert Eagle | Hypnotic MW on csgolounge, me being interested contacts him asking if I can buy it. He tells me that he is getting higher offers and will get back to me in a few hours. The time comes and Person1 contacts me, sounding very stressed he tells that person2 had scammed him. I try and comfort him "yeah we all get scammed at one point" ect.. and I ask him for the scammers profile so i can report him aswell. I try to add person2 (the scammer) and he accepts, I talk to him for about 5 minutes, just scaring him and telling him how he will be banned for a very long time. He freaks out, try's to defend him self by saying he was holding the deagle until he negotiates with one of his friend, person3, about the price. I tell person2 that he should return the gun to person1 untill he figures out the right amount of money to send. Person2 tells me that he cant re'add person1 because person1 blocked him. He than asks if i can hold the skin and return it to person1.

I have never done any MiddleMan-ing before but I accepted his offer and he gave me the skin. Person1 hasnt contacted me since and now I am stuck with a $40 skin.

So.. while we are on the topic, is my story a ban able offense?
  10. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    sigh.
    NEVER accept goods via via. We as admins have instructions to NOT accept the stolen goods, but let the scammers themselves return it to their victims. We may contact the victims to let them unblock the scammer etc. But WE never touch them.

Now its your problem to get the item to person1. you will have to find out who that was. Once you start such its YOUR job to make sure all gets done correctly.
    Your possible actions:
    1. Contact the "scammer" and tell him to handle it after advice here (can link to here)
    2. If you are really sure it was a scam, find out who person1 was, and you can return the item. Make sure you have your documentation tho. (see below)

Also, often such conversations are done without proving anything, so it has happened many times that somebody really wasn't scammed, then the "victim" tells the story to somebody that he got "scammed" and then the 3rd party is contacting the "scammer" to get the items back, but then without checking if it was really scammed, what the agreement was, etc. What then happens is basically scaring the "scammer" out of their items, and then it becomes a bigger problem, for we DO consider that a scamming act.
  11. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    There is never an exception to this.
    All you'll end up doing is not getting your items back, and then reported.
    Don't make the situation worse then it already is.
  12. ForteSP

ForteSP New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:32783182
    Why did you bump a month old topic that was already resolved -.-?
  13. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Oh you didn't know? It adds to his post count here...it apparently is his passion to build em everywhere he goes.
  14. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    Actually, someone else bumped it and the message was deleted. I'm just going to lock this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.