1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

sigh..

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by Whitechapel™ ©, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Whitechapel™ ©

Whitechapel™ © New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22512159
    i've made multiple reports on people over the past month + and nobody has reviewed them..

is this site just a waste of time or do people follow through with actions against the crooks on steam.
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    Not every scam report can be investigated, and certainly not right away. We're a volunteer organization and we do what we can. We prioritize report handling based on the number of reports against the accounts.

Your reports are collected as unconfirmed reports on their profiles, which helps alert others about the complaints against them.
  3. Whitechapel™ ©

Whitechapel™ © New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:22512159
    unconfirmed reports are quite counterproductive though... if someone is attempting to scam a user a unconfirmed report isn't exactly a tarnished rep and people still trade them.

I am however fully aware it's a volunteer organization but maybe as some help should get more staff to match the demand of reports held against certain members of the community
    I appreciate a fast and the first reply i've ever gotten from someone of power here though, thanks.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Thanks for your input, but I'm sure you understand that's much easier said than done. The Steam community has 75+ million active members, and we're a tiny non-profit organization. Valve themselves struggle with the volume of scam reports and they have a vast amount of resources. As volunteers, we won't be able to handle every scam report on Steam (given the volume and that we only rely on trustworthy volunteers with low chance of ulterior motives).

Happy to hear any ideas that can somehow meet every possible request, but hopefully you understand now why those kind of expectations aren't realistic.
  5. DecoyNy

DecoyNy Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:113037
    How about Appeal Threads that are over a year and never even get a response, when newer reports are handled in a more timely fashion. Why is it then whenever i try and contact an SR admin to help me with my Appeal, I get complete rejection and I'm always told that "Appeals are handled in the order they are received", when that clearly isn't the case.

Why is it that an organization such at this can publicly defame people, without having a working Appeal system?
    Mattie, I've added you specifically on Steam dozens of times, and every single time I do, you instantly reject me. I've sent you emails to help me resolve this.. as you were the one to ban me...
    When you added me on Steam, I spoke to you for a good amount of time, gave you information you didn't deserve to have.

It's been over 2 years since that happened, and I'm still trying to get over this ban that had to do with TF2 items, which I've never even had.

This is an injustice. The worst thing about this, is trading groups like CSGOLounge and reddit, actually use this system. Valve does a better job judging scammers than SR.
  6. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    Thanks, Decoy, for your feedback.

I have nothing more to say to you on you ban, spamming me won't do you any good. Your ban from the trade communities is totally justified in my judgment. You are better served waiting for your appeal to be handled by a different admin. Perhaps they'll see your deceit in a different light.

Appeals are handled by age, but reports are handled by priority (e.g. rogue admins, multiple reports, newest reports first for still-active scammers, etc).
  7. You Are The One

You Are The One SteamRep Admin

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41038663
    To expand on appeals,
    The vast majority of SR appeals are done by age, saying that, some exceptions: Some are cherry picked if they are easy appeals to approve/deny. If a tag has a high chance of being incorrectly applied (admin accidentally marked wrong account for example). Official appeal audits and maybe a few I missed.edit: hijackings where no scams occurred.

Just because an admin asks for additional info during the initial screening process or replies after, does not mean the appeal was taken yet. As for admins who can do appeals, this is left to the most senior admins, adding new staff (and we have and continue to do so) does not have any immediate "trickle down effect" for us to assign more admins to appeals.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  8. DecoyNy

DecoyNy Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:113037
    My ban is totally justified? At the time of my Ban, I didn't even know what SteamREP was. It took me a year to make my appeal, not because I was thinking of a good excuse for my appeal, the actual issue was I had no idea I was banned. Wanna know why I didn't know I was banned? This is because I had never done any Steam trading until CSGO came out... I'm banned because I covered for a person on my friends list, who asked me to tell someone that I had sold a TF2 item to them. I never traded in TF2, I had never traded STEAM Items until CSGO Trading came out, and I was banned well before than. Again, my ban was totally Justified? My ban is labeled as "Knowing reseller for scammers and item duplicators ", how is that Justified? How in the World could that be justified, when the person that I claimed to have sold the item to... Is only banned now for "
    Offenses:
    * Brokering accomplice to marked scammers
    * Buying from obvious scammer alts multiple times even after warnings"
    So I'm banned for reseller for known scammers, when the person I claimed to have traded the items to, isn't even listed as a known scammer. This is pathetic. If you want to ban me for something, ban me for what I had actually did. Lied to an SR admin to cover up for a friend of mine... Mind you, I hadn't a clue as to what SR even was... I've been banned for 2+ years now because of this, have I not done the time by now? Did I even commit any crime? I never did anything wrong other than put my STEAM Profile to private so that you couldn't see my inventory (WHICH HAD NOTHING IN IT), and tell you, that I sold my friend some TF2 items. This is a complete disgrace. I never scammed anyone, I've never ripped anyone off. There are no reports on me... Yet, I'm labeled as a SR Scammer, for something I had never even done.

I've attempted to contact you in the past, because you should know what my case is about and have first hand knowledge of what actually happened, yet you completely refuse to help me... This ban is unjustified, regardless of what you have to say about it. What I should do, is show you all the people's accounts that I've traded, so you can mark all of them with your bullshit system, that clearly doesn't come close to helping the problem with scamming.

I couldn't care less anymore, I'm so fed up with the bullshit politics of this site, It's beyond disgraceful. The injustice this site has put on me over the past 2 years now has been a detriment. The idea that my appeal thread is over a year old now, and I still can't have 5 minutes of an Admins time to review my case and ask me some questions, is beyond ridiculous. I'm not banned for Scamming, I'm banned for some completely bullshit reason that I can completely refute with evidence, yet I can't get a moment of your time.

I've contacted Admins to reopen my appeal thread, as it's locked now so that I can give some more information, but they can't even do that for me... No matter what you guys have to say, you're backlog whatever it is, is completely irrelevant. This process has taken far to long, at this point there's nothing you can do to make up for this, other than to handle my appeal. With that being said, I'm not waiting any longer.

I'm gonna make this known.
  9. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    Thread is derailed from its original purpose, and this is not the appeals section.