1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

There May Be Truly "Fake" or "Spoofed" items

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by Sam Maxis, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Sam Maxis

Sam Maxis New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:64279295
    In a video I came across the other day, DooM appears to show a couple suspected hackers providing his evidence at the beginning of the video. He then shows one of them change his skin mid-game without leaving the match in an uncut segment. I do believe it's impossible to change your skin midmatch, but perhaps there is an exploit or like one of DooM's viewers suggested, perhaps they are sending packets with false information to the server. Otherwise I don't know how this player did what he/she did.

Skip to 7:06 to see the skin change with explanation

2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    Are you claiming someone is hacking in game?
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    He's talking about "verification" of items....
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  4. Sam Maxis

Sam Maxis New User

Steam:
    To clarify: I am not saying you should believe scammers who claim your items may ne duplicated, glitches, bugged, Ect.

I don't know what this player was doing. I can see he changed his weapon skin mid-game without leave in a competitive match.
  5. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    I've seen that video before, your inventory is disabled in matchmaking, you can't access it to change your equipments while in-game, however DooM is claiming that he's scamming, manipulating items and using exploits to scam others depending on just the fact that he changed his knife while in game, which is a pretty useless and ignorant claim
  6. Sam Maxis

Sam Maxis New User

Steam:
    There isn't any evidence of the player scamming anyone, but if the player is able to change his skins mid-game and the skins are not truly owned by the player, then there's plenty of potential to scam. However to say that scamming is absolutely happening isn't true either.
  7. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    If anything, this is a form of cheating, which has nothing to do with the economy or items. This sort of thing would not involve a special "fake" item like scammers keep insisting exists, but a cheating application that isn't detected by VAC yet, or perhaps that a VAC ban hasn't been carried out for. Even if a "bugged" item existed, it wouldn't accomplish the "item change" shown in the video. Nevermind the other wall hacking that's demonstrated. The "sending packets with wrong information" thing? That's just a buzz word that really boils down to cheating that takes place client side, still nothing to do with inventory, which is server side.
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative, Moderating).**
    Gara and SilentReaper(SR) like this.
  8. Sam Maxis

Sam Maxis New User

Steam:
    @Lava Understood. Thanks for clarifying.
  9. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    worth noting that the suspect owns both knives in his inventory, I believe he just foubd a way to access his inventory mid game, nothing else
    SilentReaper(SR) likes this.
  10. Sam Maxis

Sam Maxis New User

Steam:
    I suppose unless someone finds evidence otherwise, the items are genuine, however the switching is abnormal and could be the result of cheating or exploiting.

Thanks for the input guys and for taking the topic seriously as well as without hostility.
  11. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    We're not hostile for honest discussion, which this is. Only to obnoxious idiots who don't read, misquote, false accusations against people etc.
    You come with an honest (semi-related) trade issue, and kept talking on point, and people chimed in. That's what this board is for, and nobody will be hostile or w/e, and if, then those are in the wrong.

On point, I'm not a CS:GO player, so don't know specifics on the "possibilities" in matches etc for changing items / skins etc. What I DO know, is that if you record a demo in TF2, you can edit the demo to change things and then replay it. You have to know the format and know how to etc, but I do know it is possible.
    If you replace for example a rocket launcher for a shotgun, in the play it will still be a rocket that's been fired, and see a rocket fly and not the bullet spread etc.
    The difference of one knife to another? you won't notice any difference.

Also, you can record from both the original demo and the edited one and make a cut that won't be noticeable, as long as for both the same frame rate was used in the same resolution.

I'd suppose the ID code for the knife is easy replaceable in the recorded demo.....

That's my educated guess for this, maybe he used some program to make his game believe so, no idea, but that would be risking his items with VAC....
  12. ✪Tea

✪Tea New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:180697299
    I see the last reply on this post was somewhat old, but I have come across a person who changed some code around in the game and made a downloadable program that will let you access your inventory while alive in competitive matchmaking. Googling LoadoutEnabler will bring up the page about the program and also have another link to another code for the source code for the exploit.

I'm not sure if this exploit still works or not but I hope it clears up some confusion about the "packets" thing. All of the items in his inventory were owned by the player him/herself and may have or may not have been acquired through scamming.
  13. Lava

Lava Public Relations SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:46187366
    As I said:
    Nothing to do with items themselves.

Lots of cheating scripts exist, and they do various things. Changing loadout in the middle of a match is just one of them. Just like assisted aiming and changing speed are others.
  14. a Gentleman

a Gentleman SteamRep Moderator Partner Community Donator - Tier V

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:25990581
    I know this guy pretty well and have played with him before a long time ago. He is a scammer that has been marked on SteamRep (I didn't see that coming) and he does cheat. Back when he had no skins, he used an injection to display skins (knives, guns) locally in his own game while in matches. This method of spoofing skins does not show others what skins he's "displaying". Nowadays, the skins he gets are either bought, traded, or scammed. Not sure what he's up to.

Edit: I remember him sending me a link to this video too. He had a good laugh about how much the video uploader got wrong.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.