1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Unknowingly traded with a scammer alt. Help!

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by AsianWizard, Aug 12, 2014.

1. AsianWizard

AsianWizard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52043642
    Hi, this is my first time posting on the forums so my apologies if i void any rules. Thanks for reading.

Here is the story, I was buying quicksells with buds and this person (current name is Rising) added me and offered a Sunbeams beret for 2 buds and 4 keys. I of course accepted his offer because it was a good deal (the hat could easily sell for 3 buds), however i didn't check his outpost or steamrep profile beforehand which was stupid on my part.His account had 700+ hours on Tf2 and the rest of his profile seemed pretty legit. We traded promptly and soon after i put the hat up on outpost i noticed that in the history his name was in red, marking him banned on outpost. The reason for his ban is the account is apparently one of many alt accounts for this one scammer. After all this has happened I don't know what to do or what will happen to my reputation and i have a few questions.

1) What should i do now?
    2) What should i do with the unusual beret?
    3) Will i be punished for trading with a scammer alt?

The alt isn't marked as a scammer yet on steamrep although after checking his profile he has 3 reports.

This is his profile currently named Rising http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tannmcman1

Below are pictures of my trade history, the user history of the item, and the outpost ban Thank you for reading
    Trade history snip #3.PNG Trade history snip #2.PNG Trade history snip.PNG
  2. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    There are two types of people who are "#Buying Quicksells" --
    1. Those who don't care where the quicksell comes from and so they don't do any homework (i.e. fences for thieves)
    2. Those who understand that quicksells are very, very often coming from scams or hijacks. As such, they actively look to avoid scammer alts and research item history before purchasing any quicksell.
    Anybody who has been buying "quicksells" for any amount of time knows to research them and avoid these situations. There is a very short list of reasons someone would quicksell an item, and a fair number of those reasons are fraud-related. Obviously there are some legit quicksell opportunities, but you cannot be a reputable trader and ignore whether an item is "hot" or not.

This will be your one and only warning. If this emerges as a pattern in your behavior (either in the past or future), then it will result in your reputation being damaged. Helping scammers profit just encourages them to commit more fraud.
  3. AsianWizard

AsianWizard New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:52043642
    I understand, thank you for the reply.