1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Any Middlemen that accept/use Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by A^ziz, Jan 1, 2014.

1. A^ziz

A^ziz New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:7319453
    Hi,

I was wondering if any of the middleman use Bitcoin
    It feels like it's much safer than Paypal as you can't "chargeback", and I really feel it's the future of virtual trading given this. You can easily cash out your Bitcoins using MtGox
  2. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    I don't know anyone that does.
  3. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    well, the middleman would NOT handle the bitcoins, MiddleMen ONLY handle the traded items (TF2 items, Dota2 items, etc). They should never touch the money side.
    They can support it, but the traders wanting to exchange items both must be willing to trade in bitcoins, and the MM must be familiar enough with bitcoins to be able to guide the traders in how the MM should be run.
  4. Mattie!

Mattie! SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:5712733
    When I have time, I'll do a bitcoin middleman transaction if needed. Note SilentReaper, that Bitcoin is one of the only electronic payment methods where MM could handle the money and not be at risk themselves, so we should discuss that a bit more. (Skial had an automated middleman that did this, for example-- and bitcoin has built-in 3rd party escrow features.)
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    I would still be against MM's handling the money side of the transaction.
  6. i7Jing

i7Jing Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:45207251
    I would accept it as a tip only. As for the actual buying/selling side of it, I would not touch the money if I were sending the money to the seller.

Bitcoin transactions do take some time, and in my experience have taken past 45 minutes to an hour to reach the required number of confirmations before the account is credited. So essentially, you're just doubling the time.Although for other cryptocurrencies, confirmations have taken much less time I find.