1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Concerned about the recent integrity of Steamrep

Discussion in 'Discussion Archive' started by AcesGamer, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eoj Nawoh

Eoj Nawoh Retired Staff Partner Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:40091868

I don't know if having a standardized format and code of conduct from SR would help anything.

Those that want to help/would change are the ones already doing their best against scammers.
  2. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26049181
    All those you linked were users trading with marked scammers and giving false information. The appeals were handled swiftly as part of a larger investigation and the users were strongly warned not to trade with scammers. Nowhere in those appeals will you find evidence of wrongdoing on the part of SteamRep.
  3. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    I really wanted to use the term 'clusterf✿✿✿ of ignorance' when I wrote my response to this thread, but I can't. For the most part, the concerns raised have been legitimate, which is a vast improvement over the previous threads on this topic.

As per usual though, most of the opinions raised are misguided or misunderstand the issues at hand. I'll answer a few here:

1. 'Vigilante' users - Aces and others complain about how people unaffiliated with SteamRep comment on posts and appeals, citing a couple examples where there was improper information given, lengthening the process. For the most part, these users have been helpful and largely unobtrusive. But to claim that these untrained members are detrimental and then in the same breath call for a 'lower standard' for hiring SR admins is purely foolish hypocrisy.
    2. 'Legacy tags'- Chaos addressed this well. We removed the micspam/spam/etc tags long ago and the remaining tags are legit.
    3. English - f✿✿✿ you if you think perfect, native English should be a requirement to be part of SR. I know you like to look smart but your Know-Nothing ideology only makes you the fool

I had more but my browser crashed. Have fun
    Roudydogg1, Sari, Clive and 1 other person like this.
  4. Vintage Cobra

Vintage Cobra Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:12913087
    1.) Any person capable of cognition would be able to figure out for themselves that the opinions of an individual do not represent the whole of SteamRep.
    A person's attitude is their own, and cannot be forcefully changed.

2.) Ironic how one of said people is none other but yourself.
    Your actions were despicable, to say the least, and bringing up the holocaust in such manner is certainly not entertaining.

3.) That, in and of itself is somewhat of an oxymoron. You certainly are not fully supportive, if you find some things to be shady.

Said people are more than welcome to appeal the judgement against them, provided they have evidence to support their case.
    Mistakes happen, albeit I believe their occurrence to be less than palpable at best.

I am guessing you meant to say the level of comprehension of the English language should be at least that of a native speaker.
  5. -=GHS_FOUNDER=-GGODD2

-=GHS_FOUNDER=-GGODD2 New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:1347805
    All i have to say in this matter about us is. It's been over two years since that map bs and threats and 99.5% of the ppl from the time are and have been long gone. Get over it, im almost 40 and it is just sad how ppl still act butt hurt and waste the brain power about it. Funny part is ive been friends with the mapper of the map of asbo/jag for almost 1.5yrs, we get along fine. It's over let it go we all just need to grow up and learn to grow together. If not hell ive been around 10 years and ill be here after you all leave, providing a great gaming place for my younger kids and prob my grand kids. Honestly im to old to care about this sorry drama, my servers are doing great and i will continue to grow.

Thanks, GGODD2

BTW Helen just wanted to say hi, ive been really busy with my old house so haven't had a lot of free time to chat. Hope you and the family are doing well.
  6. Geel9

Geel9 Scrap.tf co-owner

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:18301684
    In regards to the tags given to those who exploited scrap.tf/backpack.tf:

They were caution tags, not scammer tags (I know this was said, I'm just making it abundantly clear). It's used to denote that the person's character is questionable, and to use caution when trading with them.

The users that exploited scrap.tf and received tags had performed the exploit multiple times with explicit intent. That shows that they have no problem with abusing another person's mistake to gain profit at the loss of others'. This is NOT a morally sound decision, and it would be wise to exercise caution if one were to trade with them. Those that gave the items back had their caution tags removed.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  7. Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt Backpack.tf founder

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42768607

On the other hand, the ones at backpack.tf were scammer tags. There were a few issues a couple people abused, and a couple hundred dollars - close to a thousand worth of inventory went in their pockets. After the tags appeared, a few of them magically decided to pay back the items after they "agreed" what they did wasn't right and were able to appeal to get the tag removed.

Now, I feel I should respond to this. It is definitely due to my incompetence that the people who found a way to abuse the backpack.tf bots did. If the bots didn't have that flaw to start with, they wouldn't have, I'll give you that. But let me give you these few examples here, that according to you would be ok:
    • If you hack into a bank and steal 1 million dollars because you discovered a flaw, you keep it. Who cares who's money it is anyway, banks are rich.
    • You walk in the street and find a car that's unlocked. An iPhone is sitting on the driver's seat. Obviously, it's the owner's fault for not locking the doors, so you take the iPhone home.
    I don't know about you, but I don't think that's the world we live in. I'm glad SteamRep took the proper action here and marked/warned the community that this type of behavior is not accepted. That's why SteamRep is here, and if it wasn't for it -- a few of the scammers wouldn't have paid back their items. I got about $500 worth of items back from people who scammed, and there's about double that still sitting in other scammer backpacks. I'm the one who eats up this loss, you don't see me posting on forums crying that "oh no we lost money because I'm incompetent and don't know everything about life". I was disappointed. I was extremely mad. But it was my fault these guys found a flaw.
    With all this said and done, comparing our rather small community sites to Amazon or some other multi-billion corporation is without a doubt the funniest thing I've seen all week. While your original post has some interesting points, it would be hard for me to agree with anything you said after this extreme lack of morality making me question your motives.
  8. Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt Backpack.tf founder

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:42768607
    Really Fiskie? I don't even know what to say.
    D2Girls likes this.
  9. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

I'll agree that there are those who do help out. But there are those who don't and only cause issue. But the largest issue I have is where people act or speak like they are staff members of SR. But I completely agree, the standard should not be lowered.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  10. Frost-Seupoj

Frost-Seupoj New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:29854057
    1. For Scams and Support you need kayako (helpdesk software) It has great api and best desktop support and has lots of features
    2. its hard to contact the SR staff (helen)
    3. SR needs more staff with good communication skills
    4. As per the bot Exploit it happens a lot with Bots as i have also coded many bots
    5. After reading this is think SR Should Re-Evaluate all Communities
    6. and there should be added a section in forums of Communities scam (as on community scammed with me The whole communities.)
    7. SR is a great concept but needs lots of manpower and this concept should be given a great approach
    8. There are some loop holes in SR also
  11. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    I'm on the fence about tags for bot exploiters since it isn't necessarily scamming. Until SR expands infrastructure to not tag them as scammers I don't like it.

This is entirely down to the reliability of the underlying bot framework and coding ability of who is in charge.

That's rather expensive enterprise software with a thousand additional features that'll go unused. A simple alternative with emphasis on Steam scams could be done easily.
  12. daemon

daemon Retired Staff

Steam:
    Care to elaborate?
  13. Zero

Zero Caution on SteamRep

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:50277461
    SteamREP is good. Their intentions are good and they work hard. When is the last time somebody made a thread saying "Thanking the SteamREP admins for their service to the community?" They very fact they exist is to serve us. I think we need to put some things in perspective here.

However, nothing in this world is perfect. There is always, always room for improvement. Everyone here has their own opinion, so it wouldn't help for me to give my own, but I do believe there can be some improvement. As in everything, things can be better.

I'm calling for a thread lock..... we don't need to have any further discussion. I think that the SR team has seen all the issues presented and they know about the necessary adjustments they need to make, if any. No need for people to make themselves look worse and worse here.

To those posting about issues with other communities, take that somewhere else please. Not here; this is about SteamREP.
  14. Torgue

Torgue New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:41670677
    Are you saying the current staff don't have communication skills? Their job is to communicate with people.
    In what way?
    Please don't point out a flaw without an explanation. What kind of "loop holes" are we talking about?
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  15. Eoj Nawoh

SteamRep Admin:

I don't think anyone is saying that they don't have good intentions or that they work hard. But having a public discussion can't hurt SteamRep, especially when ideas suggested may be good ones.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  16. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:20973413
    It has to do with how communities handle their SteamRep tags, so it is a very relevant topic.
  17. buddhapest

buddhapest Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:136841
    total aside after reading this entire thread with great interest (no sarcasm)

with regards to ticket handling, i've used OTRS in the past and it's actually quite a nice little open source ticketing system.

http://www.otrs.org/
  18. Fiskie

Fiskie tf2bazaar founder Partner Community

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:26166446
    These issues have been present for a long time. Development has stagnated for over a year. The amount of scam reports coming in is obviously taking an impact on the judgement of those processing the reports.

After talks with Helen which I won't go into detail about, it's pretty clear to me that SR needs a ground-up revamp. But that's never going to happen.

What's the problem with bringing pressing issues which could easily be resolved with the administration communicating with each other, and their affiliates, to light?
  19. Helpful Member

Helpful Member New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:59275221
    I fail to see how the amount of scam reports is affecting the better judgement of the staff.
    How exactly does it need a "ground-up revamp"? That is unnecessary from what I can see. Something like that would only happen if the whole site was going down the shitter.

There's no need to be drastic about a few minor issues. Being under-staffed is probably the only really big problem. It seems minor, yet there are few who qualify. Volunteer work isn't exactly a hot job description.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  20. Thomas Matthias

Thomas Matthias Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:36213483
    :)
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by members of (usergroups: Administrative).**
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.