1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

CSGO Third-Party Scam Protection

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by probablynotkai, Sep 19, 2023.

1. probablynotkai

probablynotkai New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:242027489
    Would you pay for web-based CSGO scam protection, if so, what do you believe is a fair amount?

If not, what features would you be willing to pay for? (E.g. insurance scheme)

I feel as though I should make it clear that this protection is aimed towards protection with third party sites since when I had posted this on Steam Community, a lot of people had failed to understand that this is seperate from the likes of Steam Guard.

This would be in the form of a browser extension which is incapable of storing personal information.

Thoughts?
  2. Horse

Horse Administrator SteamRep Admin

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:1:34690691
    What are you trying to ask here? Sounds like you are advertising something.
  3. probablynotkai

probablynotkai New User

Steam:
    I'm not advertising anything, I'm simply querying one of the larger cash trading communities on a service that they may be interested in.
    I am merely getting input from my target audience, I have not posted any links/ways to contact me for the service, nor do I intend to.
    Apologies for any misconceptions.

As a staff member, I understand your concern and am happy to speak further in private messages!
  4. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    SteamRep is not a cash trading community - this is a anti-fraud site.
  5. probablynotkai

probablynotkai New User

Steam:
    Yes but it is an anti-fraud site used by a large number of cash traders to identify reputable individuals.
  6. ♪Mr.Dr.Prof.Dj♪

♪Mr.Dr.Prof.Dj♪ New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:97556221
    I don't work with/for SteamRep, but my perception is that SteamRep is not necessarily intended to "identify reputable individuals". They gather fraud reports made against other steam users and promote safer trading practices, as per their FAQ.

That being said, I can't really discern what exactly you're talking about either, but I feel that expressly labeling users as "safe" to perform cash trading, or requiring payment to "verify" users would lure users into a false since of security when someone inevitably takes advantage. What will you do when a supposed "safe" cash trader runs without paying? An "insurance scheme" as you call it just sounds like a bad idea to me, especially if you are not at all familiar with the legalese and regulations.

Anyone can minimize their chances of getting scammed simply by following Safe Trading Practices as described here on SteamRep.
  7. probablynotkai

probablynotkai New User

Steam:
    The scam protection wouldn't be paying to be "verified", rather it would be an extra layer of security in your browser whereby the browser extension will flag suspicious websites.

The insurance scheme was a separate service to the browser protection as it was something suggested to me.
  8. Horse

SteamRep Admin:
    Just to be clear for anyone reading - SteamRep wouldn't endorse any browser extension.