1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

Does this make me a scammer?

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by NotPeng, Dec 20, 2013.

1. NotPeng

NotPeng New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:73825073
    I'm getting into quite a bit of trouble lately and I'm not sure if it is for a correct reason.

I'm not sure whether this counts as a scam or not, I've contacted several admins and they're all unsure about it. I will gladly return the items if it counts as one. This is a vague outline of what happened.

The story goes - I was selling a summer hat for 11 keys. Some dude adds me. I was offline and so he had to send a trade offer. He forgot to put in the summer hat and I accepted the trade. This means I got 11 keys free.

I need to know whether this is a scam or not. If it is, I will give it back, no need for a ban or anything, I'm willing to give it back without any hesitation (until this guy unblocks me), I will give it back. I understand it may be a dick move not to give it but in all honesty, is this a scam or not?

Gimme your opinions down below and admins, I'd love to see your point of view.

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm stupid for confessing about this and will get a ban but I had to show what happened.

Once again, I will give it back, I mean it, I'm not here to cause any trouble with my trading or account.

Thanks.
  2. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Yeap, its a dick move, and no, its not "unique". One Community admin got trade-offered like 12 Unusuals without any items of him added, only with the question if "he liked any of them, please offer". He didn't activate the trade, he declined it. A screenshot of that has gone to Valve, and they are aware of this type of problem.

The problem with this is basically 2 contradiction issues:
    - He made the trade offer, so whatever he thought to be fair to get for it he should have been listing your items. Valve sees in general those trades as "final".
    - He basically forgot to add a price for his items. To the spirit, that would count as a scam.

I'm not aware if Valve has any specific policy for this. Personally I lean towards the "its a Scam". I rather have it solved between the 2 traders, without "dick moves" etc, and otherwise solved after.
  3. gukingofheart

gukingofheart New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:49222635
    Even if this isn;t a scam, will really hurt your rep.
  4. Ninja Otter With A Taco

Ninja Otter With A Taco Retired Staff

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:35378805
    You'd be better off just giving the dude the hat or the keys back. saves a lot of trouble even if it isn't a scam :3
  5. NCPereira

NCPereira New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:35293815
    It definitely is not a scam, but being nice to people helps everyone. Would you like it if it was you who made the mistake?