1. There is no such thing as a "pending" ban or Steam admin. Anyone threatening your account is a scammer trying to scare you. Read more.

How to get Steam to rescan game install locations

Discussion in 'SteamRep General Discussion' started by mirrorblack, Jul 9, 2016.

1. mirrorblack

mirrorblack New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:1:10260116
    About 3 years ago, I replaced my C: drive, moved it to E: and installed an SSD drive as my C: drive. Since then I've been having problems, and just really want to get this fixed.

What's showing in Steam/Settings/Downloads/Steam Library Folders for what is installed where is not accurate. I have more games in those library directories than it's showing. My C: drive, it shows 0 games installed, but I can click on Library, right click a game name, Properties/Local Files and it'll say Disk Usage xxx MB on drive C: for some of my games, but others show correctly. If I try to launch any of those shown to be on my C: drive, it'll give an error Failed to start game (missing executable.) I can delete the game, repoint it to the other drive that has it installed, then it'll work.

I'm also noticing some games for automatic updates are installing to C:\games\steam\steamapps (which is not showing as a Library directory either.)

Bottom line, something is corrupt of what Steam thinks I have installed and where.

I have tried to fix this by shutting down steam, renaming the steamapp folder, relaunch steam, and it's gone from the list in Steam Library Folders. I then add it back, and it's still the same count of games, which is wrong.
    I have also ran through this article on here http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/steam-client-clean-up.104175/ for how to clean up a steam install, and it still has the same problems.
    I've also did the flush of steam cache, that didn't work either.

I seem to recall when I re-installed Steam on my C drive 3 years ago, it did do a rescan of the directories. Does anyone know how to fix this besides blowing it all away and starting from scratch? I imagine there is some file that holds what it knows of what games I have and it just needs to be deleted and let it rescan again, but it was one of the files I copied over with the process from above. I also noticed that Steam.old\config\SteamAppData.vdf file did not exist when I did this procedure either.

Help please?

D
  2. Nebras

Nebras New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:92811415
    go to each missing game on Steam and reinstall it, choose the same library folder it's currently installed in, Steam will then discover existing files and start downloading missing ones, right after it starts downloading, restart Steam because it'll download everything otherwise, repeat for each game
  3. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    I dont think we've now turned into a "game assistance" website :rolleyes:
  4. derfy

derfy New User

Steam:
    STEAM_0:0:1948671
    Sure beats the "I bought this account from someone else; what do you mean I can't appeal my mark?!" threads.
    Roudydogg1 likes this.
  5. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Tho I addressed that.....see in RED

Edward. likes this.
  6. mirrorblack

mirrorblack New User

Steam:
    Thanks SilentReaper for replying. Great article, BTW. But if you'll note my original post, I said there was no SteamAppData.vdf file in my old config directory to copy over. After the re-launch and it reinstalled everything, there is still no SteamAppData.vfd file in there. :( So that's not it. :(

Devon
  7. mirrorblack

mirrorblack New User

Steam:
    I found the guide to clean up your Steam install by SilentReaper on here, so thought it be worth a shot. I wrote a post on the official steam forums, got zero replies since June 28th, and when I wrote support, and waited a full 5 days for an answer, I got this -

Pure genius, I tell you. :D

D
  8. Roudydogg1

Roudydogg1 SteamRep Admin Friend Community

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:58227918
    I suppose your reasoning is fine with me then! Good luck.
  9. SilentReaper(SR)

SilentReaper(SR) Retired Staff

SteamRep Admin:
    STEAM_0:0:89705646
    Hmm, looking into the SteamAppData.vdf, seems its only used to "remember" what user was last logged on and if it was/is a autologin.

/edit:
    the locations are defined by the default subfolders and if additional are made entries are made named "BaseInstallFolder_X" (where X is a number) near the bottom of the config.vdf in the config folder.